any parent pick up formal music when 'old'

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

any parent pick up formal music when 'old'

Postby leo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:38 pm

OK, just entertaining a thought.

I have NO formal music training when I was younger, only join the choir and ensemble in school and have returned 100% back to the teacher (so guai right? :P)

Am just entertaining the idea of going for formal learning (at least, attend class) or maybe join some class where parents and kids can learn together.

Have anyone done that? What musical instrument did you pick up and how was the progress? Any advice???

Pls share....

leo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:05 pm

My mum took up piano when she was 50. Not 'formal' lessons with a professional piano teacher but lessons with me :) She can play decent tunes and sight read enough to try out new tunes so she can practise singing.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:29 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:My mum took up piano when she was 50. Not 'formal' lessons with a professional piano teacher but lessons with me :) She can play decent tunes and sight read enough to try out new tunes so she can practise singing.

Now... that would put a lot of us to shame, including myself :oops:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby duriz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:29 am

mrswongtuition wrote:My mum took up piano when she was 50. Not 'formal' lessons with a professional piano teacher but lessons with me :) She can play decent tunes and sight read enough to try out new tunes so she can practise singing.

Wow :celebrate:

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:31 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:

Now... that would put a lot of us to shame, including myself :oops:

My mum got her Dip at 45yo (her highest qualifications was A levels - with straight As). And now she's 55, she's thinking of getting a degree in business & marketing :)

Talk about learning till old! & she's highly active on FB - managing 3 accounts (hers, my dad's and my son's)!

Nothing is impossible as long as you put your heart to it. :D

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Starrydust » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:52 pm

oh.. i started it when i was like 23.. then stopped now cos pregnant twice, stopped twice.. and everything has to start again... :cry:

I am not sure if i will pick it up again when the kids are older or when i retire.... hopefully, by that time, my hands are still nimble. :pray:

Starrydust
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tutormum » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 pm

I took up electrone and classical guitar in my early 20s mainly due to interest and my parents couldn't afford lessons when I was a child (I did ask for it). I gave up after the children come along. I did send both DS1 and DS2 for music lessons but alas they have no interest. I intend to take formal lessons again in a few years' time if I can afford to semi-retired. :pray:

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mrs Ang » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:15 am

I took up piano when I was 26 then dropped when I was doing my part-time degree. Was going to pickup again but got pregnant. I hope I can take formal lessons again when DD is older.

Mrs Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby leo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:12 pm

thanks for all the replies..

mrswongtuition..ur mom is superwoman! :udawoman:

leo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Angelight » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Wow, hats off to your mum! I have no formal training in piano but intend to learn together with DD when she turns 4. I can play the piano by ear but cannot read music notes so will need formal training. Any good piano teacher to recommend? :D

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time