Hamster gave birth!

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Hamster gave birth!

Postby HappyAvon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Oh my goodness...I was clearing d hamster cage just a while ago n to my surprise I saw 4 babies inside d wooden house which was all along in d cage..I scream for hubby as I could not believe my eyes....we are sure when we bought these 2 hamsters more than 6 mths ago, we had told d pet shop we only wanted males since we do not want them to mate...they were so tiny...eyes still closed... My girl still did not know abt it cos she had gone to bed... We had decided to send the babies to the pet shop...definitely we do not know how to handle them....will the pet shop accept them? Any advise?

HappyAvon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:55 pm

Please DO NOT touch the babies as the mummy will reject or will eat up the babies the moment they are touched and they smell different to her! It's motherly instinct!

Also hamster babies are not to leave their mummies for the first few weeks. They need the mum's milk to survive. You may want to remove the daddy from the cage first.

There are lots of online articles to read up on bringing up hamster babies. Do go and read up about them.

Good luck.

Postby HappyAvon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:10 pm

25hourmaid wrote:Please DO NOT touch the babies as the mummy will reject or will eat up the babies the moment they are touched and they smell different to her! It's motherly instinct!

Also hamster babies are not to leave their mummies for the first few weeks. They need the mum's milk to survive. You may want to remove the daddy from the cage first.

There are lots of online articles to read up on bringing up hamster babies. Do go and read up about them.

Good luck.

Hi, I did not dare to touch them...as I had initially lifted up the cover for the wooden house, the babies started to crawl out...We saw the mother biting the baby one by one n carried them back to the wooden house....Immediately I told hubby to put back the cover...by then, I saw the mum oredi carried all of them back into d wooden house...honestly this is the first time I'm witnessing such things and I can really feel mothers are so great... When the babies were crawling everywhere, the mum was digging through the bedding trying to find d babies while the daddy just continue to be alone n bathing himself in d sand! The mother picks them up n even dig the beddings to cover the hole outside the wooden house...probably she does not want them to be crawling everywhere...

We really do not have any intention to keep the babies...we wanted to send them back to the pet shop tomorrow...since we had told them we only wanted 2 males!

HappyAvon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby carebear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:21 am

Hi happyavon, do remove male from cage. The female is the one that the babies will go to for suckling. Hopefully the female is not pregnant again, as it happened in my case where the female gave birth again after 18 days of giving birth the first round.
I tried pet shops, but most of them are not keen to adopt.
You can try some pet forums eg pet.sg/forum or petschannel.com and put them up for adoption. Also note the hamsters start to mate around 5weeks old. Good luck and cheers!

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HappyAvon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:34 am

carebear wrote:Hi happyavon, do remove male from cage. The female is the one that the babies will go to for suckling. Hopefully the female is not pregnant again, as it happened in my case where the female gave birth again after 18 days of giving birth the first round.
I tried pet shops, but most of them are not keen to adopt.
You can try some pet forums eg pet.sg/forum or petschannel.com and put them up for adoption. Also note the hamsters start to mate around 5weeks old. Good luck and cheers!

Hi carebear, thanks for the advise....we will separate the male from the female. I will still go back n ask the pet shop whom we bought the 2 hamsters....we had asked for 2 males n did state clearly we do not want them to mate....haiz, really give us trouble...so did u manage to put up yr bavy hamsters for adoption?

HappyAvon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:57 am

Happy Avon, if you put them up for adoption here, I think some parents will gladly help you with them.

I had hamsters before but my mum gave them away cos she did not like them (she said too smelly though I cleaned the cage every 3 days).

I'm thinking of getting a few for my boy to teach him to care for animals but am not sure if my hubs wants them or not. If he wants them, can pass to me? But must wait till they are ready to leave their mummy and I go buy the cage and stuff first.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:00 pm

My hubs just agreed :)

Anyway, you try asking the petshop first since you are not sure what to do with them too.
If the petshop does not want to take them back, then you can look after them for a while more till they are ready to leave their mummy then give them away (my hubs agreed to take 2-3 of them).

Just PM me after you've sorted it out :D

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HappyAvon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:11 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:My hubs just agreed :)

Anyway, you try asking the petshop first since you are not sure what to do with them too.
If the petshop does not want to take them back, then you can look after them for a while more till they are ready to leave their mummy then give them away (my hubs agreed to take 2-3 of them).

Hi mrswongtuition, if u really want it, I will just let the babies grew up n then pass them to u when they are ready...maybe ard 2 weeks later...is good to pass to someone who luv small animals.. Both the daddies N mummies are white with a little grey....they are both small size....I really cannot afford to keep all of them since we have a poodle at home too...just sent our maid off on thursday n I'm already so busy..... :cry:

HappyAvon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HappyAvon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:17 pm

This is my 1st time handling it n we really hv no experience...like what 25hourmaid had advised, we did not touch the babies...just leaving the mother to nurse the babies n hopefully they will thrive n grow bigger soon....I just make sure there are enough water n food for the mother...hope this is d correct way....

HappyAvon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:20 pm

HappyAvon wrote:
mrswongtuition wrote:My hubs just agreed :)

Hi mrswongtuition, if u really want it, I will just let the babies grew up n then pass them to u when they are ready...maybe ard 2 weeks later...is good to pass to someone who luv small animals.. Both the daddies N mummies are white with a little grey....they are both small size....I really cannot afford to keep all of them since we have a poodle at home too...just sent our maid off on thursday n I'm already so busy..... :cry:

Ok. So I have 2 weeks to buy cages and the other necessities? :D
I'm ok with anything. I also have a dog at home but we'll place the hamsters away from her. My hubs is worried that she might eat them up :p

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time