Remote Controlled Kites

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Remote Controlled Kites

Postby ZacK » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi just wish to check if any parents ever tried playing with remote controlled Kites? I am thinking of getting one for ds1 this christmas....so far he has been cooped up at home playing Wii and reading books etc....thinking of getting him something that would get him out of the house into the sun.

I drove past Merchant Court area at night and there were times when I saw lighted aerial devices soaring through the sky.... I googled and found the company .... www.goflykite.com

Would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding price, maintenance and suitability for a 7 yr old kid to control such aerial devices without hurting himself, others or public/pte properties.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Remote Controlled Kites

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:53 pm

ZacK wrote:Hi just wish to check if any parents ever tried playing with remote controlled Kites? I am thinking of getting one for ds1 this christmas....so far he has been cooped up at home playing Wii and reading books etc....thinking of getting him something that would get him out of the house into the sun.

I drove past Merchant Court area at night and there were times when I saw lighted aerial devices soaring through the sky.... I googled and found the company .... www.goflykite.com

Would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding price, maintenance and suitability for a 7 yr old kid to control such aerial devices without hurting himself, others or public/pte properties.

This is very interesting, ZacK! Wonder how much they cost, or how long the batteries last. Won't they just get blown away by high winds, especially if the range of the remote controller is too short?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby ZacK » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:25 am

Based on what I read from postings here and there in some forums... I think the price is in the $600 range for a complete kit. Unfortunately those postings are a few years old so not sure what is the price now? Hopefully would have gone down as I understand there are "imitation" ones from china.

These kites come with long range antenna and so they should be able to fly quite a distance away... In one of the clips I saw, really easy to launch and land the kite... Saw one guy just fling the kite into the air and use remote control and it is off... Then use remote control to fly the kite back to you and then catch it with your hands.

From the website, it says "GoFlyKite (GFK) revolutionary controlled (RC) kites are designed through extensive research and made of the highest quality material so they are highly manoeuvrable, crash-resistant and easy for everyone including children and elderly to fly. Make your kite do somersaults, scale great heights in strong wind conditions, hover in confined spaces, do stall turns and more."

Check out this vid ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KFkG-8C ... re=related ), can see the kite fairly clearly... Has a propeller in front but from the looks sure looks safer than those remote controlled airplane or helicoptor kits that are meant for outdoors... The latter I have a concern that the propeller blades may hurt people and cause property damage if not controlled properly.

Especially like the LED lighted ones... Really cool ;)

Let me see if I can time later this coming week and will update you if you are keen ... For yourself or your boy? hahaha... I have to admit, if I do get for DS1 is also to partly satisfy my "urge" :oops:
Last edited by ZacK on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mps112 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm

ZacK wrote:Based on what I read from postings here and there in some forums... I think the price is in the $600 range for a complete kit. Unfortunately those postings are a few years old so not sure what is the price now? Hopefully would have gone down as I understand there are "imitation" ones from china.

If I recall correctly, the $600+ cost from GoFlyKite (GFK) include a few training sessions on a simulator.

mps112
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dunnoleh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 pm

ZacK wrote:... Let me see if I can time later this coming week and will update you if you are keen ... For yourself or your boy? hahaha... I have to admit, if I do get for DS1 is also to partly satisfy my "urge" :oops:
hi Zack,
there's a big boy here who's very interested in this too, any news? :lol:

dunnoleh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ZacK » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:23 pm

mps112 wrote:
ZacK wrote:Based on what I read from postings here and there in some forums... I think the price is in the $600 range for a complete kit. Unfortunately those postings are a few years old so not sure what is the price now? Hopefully would have gone down as I understand there are "imitation" ones from china.

If I recall correctly, the $600+ cost from GoFlyKite (GFK) include a few training sessions on a simulator.

Hi thanks.. yeap you are rite wrt the price ... Updates in my posting below :D

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi CKS and dunnoleh and whoever may be interested... Went down this evening after work to Riverside Point. First to the shop and then went outside to the grass patch. Details of what I found out below:

1. Currently most models sold out save for Pro III. For a complete kit, remote, kite, lites etc... It is retailing at $670. This is the basic model for beginners, the other models are basically faster in speed for more advanced "players".

2. The kit is "upgradeable" as the motor is stuck to the kite using cable tie, understand that can cut away and then just need to pay for a half kit (i.e just the kite without the mechanical or remote control parts) to upgrade to a different kite. So assuming if getting the Pro III and later wish to change to more advance model can pay abt $300 odd for the half kit.

3. The remote control can control up to 1km, in any case if out of range, the kite will free fall and then you regain control again once it is within range. Unlikely to fly at those distance though cos most will fly the kite within line of sight. From what I saw tonight, a few kites soared really high into the sky, easily a few hundred metres above ground :!:

4. The kites are constructed using carbon fibre as frame and nylon fabric. Most may find the price a bit steep but I guess one does have to pay for intellectual property and also it gains entry to the club membership (didnt check too much on this tho).

5. Assuming no repairs needed etc from damaged kites due to bad flying lol... For frequent flyers, the kite has a rechargeable battery that can be recharged up to 200 times (Assuming one flight a day, this means a replacement every 6mths). Replacement cost for these batts is at $47/ea.

6. Depending on how lighted your kite is, the battery should be able to sustain a flight time of 15-30min, before it needs to be recharged.

7. If you are free, can pop by Riverside Point from Mon - Sat, 8pm - 11pm, the open patch beside Riverside Pt (Nearer to Brewerkz). Members will do their flying there. I think if you drop by after 830pm, should be able to see quite a few lighted kites swooping around. Understand that it is more crowded on Friday and Sat nights.

8. Chatted with the staff there. There are more adults than kids... So what you are getting is certainly not a toy and should not be construed as a toy. Having said this, it should still be ok for kids (with proper orientation and practice) to play with it as I do not forsee any serious injuries that may happen.

9. Lastly.... I think if I get it... I fear I may hog it rather than let DS1 have a go at it lol... The decision now is to get it for DS1 as his christmas gift or just get for myself as my own "toy" kekekeke :wink:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dunnoleh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:46 am

ZacK wrote:Hi CKS and dunnoleh and whoever may be interested... Went down this evening after work to Riverside Point. First to the shop and then went outside to the grass patch. Details of what I found out below:

1. Currently most models sold out save for Pro III. For a complete kit, remote, kite, lites etc... It is retailing at $670. This is the basic model for beginners, the other models are basically faster in speed for more advanced "players".

2. The kit is "upgradeable" as the motor is stuck to the kite using cable tie, understand that can cut away and then just need to pay for a half kit (i.e just the kite without the mechanical or remote control parts) to upgrade to a different kite. So assuming if getting the Pro III and later wish to change to more advance model can pay abt $300 odd for the half kit.

3. The remote control can control up to 1km, in any case if out of range, the kite will free fall and then you regain control again once it is within range. Unlikely to fly at those distance though cos most will fly the kite within line of sight. From what I saw tonight, a few kites soared really high into the sky, easily a few hundred metres above ground :!:

4. The kites are constructed using carbon fibre as frame and nylon fabric. Most may find the price a bit steep but I guess one does have to pay for intellectual property and also it gains entry to the club membership (didnt check too much on this tho).

5. Assuming no repairs needed etc from damaged kites due to bad flying lol... For frequent flyers, the kite has a rechargeable battery that can be recharged up to 200 times (Assuming one flight a day, this means a replacement every 6mths). Replacement cost for these batts is at $47/ea.

6. Depending on how lighted your kite is, the battery should be able to sustain a flight time of 15-30min, before it needs to be recharged.

7. If you are free, can pop by Riverside Point from Mon - Sat, 8pm - 11pm, the open patch beside Riverside Pt (Nearer to Brewerkz). Members will do their flying there. I think if you drop by after 830pm, should be able to see quite a few lighted kites swooping around. Understand that it is more crowded on Friday and Sat nights.

8. Chatted with the staff there. There are more adults than kids... So what you are getting is certainly not a toy and should not be construed as a toy. Having said this, it should still be ok for kids (with proper orientation and practice) to play with it as I do not forsee any serious injuries that may happen.

9. Lastly.... I think if I get it... I fear I may hog it rather than let DS1 have a go at it lol... The decision now is to get it for DS1 as his christmas gift or just get for myself as my own "toy" kekekeke :wink:
thanks Zack!
8 p.m. is about right for a quick mug at Brewerkz before popping in. :D
no breathalyser test needed, I hope? :wink:

dunnoleh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:12 am

I used to have this funny dialogue with a male friend. We discussed that anything remote control will get a man ecstatic and they turn into boys instantly. He even went on to share that he dreamt one day everything could be controlled with One single remote control and his dream really came true!!! See...the universal language for boys oops I mean men is remote control..... :lol:

Postby ZacK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:51 pm

dunnoleh wrote:thanks Zack!
8 p.m. is about right for a quick mug at Brewerkz before popping in. :D
no breathalyser test needed, I hope? :wink:

Well you can be assured that you will never fail a breatheanalyser test for this form of "driving" ... So while you are there, down one for me too kekeke... sorry I dun drink much :oops:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time