Discussion on Dr Ong Teck Chin

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Discussion on Dr Ong Teck Chin

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 am

[Moderator's note: This thread has been split from the ACS (I) Parents' Networking Group so that the PNG can continue to retain its informational integrity.]

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 93/1/.html

Principal of ACS Independent steps down
By Satish Cheney | Posted: 04 October 2010 2327 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Dr Ong Teck Chin (file picture)

SINGAPORE : A teacher at Anglo-Chinese School (ACS) said the principal of ACS Independent, Dr Ong Teck Chin, has stepped down.

According to unconfirmed sources, the school's board of governors made the decision after a series of meetings since Friday.

Dr Ong has been the principal since 1994.

Under Dr Ong's helm, the school was awarded the Singapore Quality Award under the Business Excellence Awards Scheme in Singapore.

The school, which is a Methodist institution, was founded in 1886 and is one of the prestigious schools in Singapore. - CNA/ms
Last edited by verykiasu2010 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sinoboy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:43 am

becoz of rugby match?

sinoboy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:49 am

Today's papers says it's because a former teacher complained against him to the Board. Wonder what the complaint was about.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:26 am

N A surprise move, Dr Ong Teck Chin, the principal of Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), has resigned from the school he has headed since 1994.

Contacted yesterday by The Straits Times, he would only say: 'I have been wanting to step down for a while. Do you know I had a bypass? Two years ago.'

He added: 'I have done a lot for ACS and I want to move on.'

He said he was 'going overseas' and added: 'Do you know I am past my retirement age? I am 61 years old. It is time I took it easy.'

His resignation four weeks before the end of the school year surprised teachers, students and parents, especially as it comes in the midst of the students' final-year examinations.

The Straits Times learnt that a complaint was recently filed against Dr Ong to the board of governors, which was looking into it.

janeng@sph.com.sg

sandra@sph.com.sg

mavistoh@sph.com.sg

Read the full story in Tuesday's edition of The Straits Times.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 86802.html
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

ACS (I) principal resigns abruptly

Postby BlurBee » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:29 am

SINGAPORE - He has been the principal and chief executive of Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) since 1994. Under Dr Ong Teck Chin's watch, ACS (I) became the first school to introduce the International Baccalaureate programme, five years ago.

The 61-year-old has been praised for taking the school to new heights in the academic and sporting fields.

But yesterday, MediaCorp learnt that Dr Ong has stepped down from his post. It is understood that Dr Ong resigned after the school's board of governors concluded a meeting yesterday morning.

Sources in the school said that teachers were caught off-guard with the news - which had filtered through the school - and they were unclear about the reasons behind Mr Ong's abrupt departure.

Dr Ong's resignation comes after a director at the principal's office also left his post recently. The director declined to comment about his departure when contacted. Dr Ong, who is married with three children, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

So far, the board of governors has not commented on Dr Ong's resignation. MediaCorp did not get any reply to emails and phone calls to chairman Richard Seow, who is also the chairman of healthcare organisation Parkway Holdings, or other board members.

Dr Ong's career in the education sector has been illustrious.

The former Raffles Institution student graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1972 with an Honours degree in Chemistry.

He subsequently earned his doctorate at the University of Oxford and, on his return, became a lecturer at the National University of Singapore (NUS) until 1991.

While teaching physiology there, he concurrently held the position of Vice-Principal in ACS (I) from 1988 until 1994, when he was appointed Principal.

Apart from pioneering ACS (I)'s Pastoral Care and Career Guidance curriculum, he served as the chairman of the Publications Advisory Committee under the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts.

It has also been reported that Dr Ong serves as an elder at Bethesda Church in Frankel estate and has served the community through his counselling activities there.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 72/1/.html

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LKVM » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 am

Strange :?

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: ACS (I) principal resigns abruptly

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:35 pm

BlurBee wrote:Dr Ong's resignation comes after a director at the principal's office also left his post recently. The director declined to comment about his departure when contacted. Dr Ong, who is married with three children, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

read the Straits Times. They got hold of Dr Ong with comments

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... hp?t=14414
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Muffins » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Very sad... he is my school principal....

Feel like :cry:

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Muffins » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:23 pm

mods, pls merge this with this thread: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 464#270464

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurfette3 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Muffins wrote:Very sad... he is my school principal....

Feel like :cry:

How was he like? How can one complaint bring about this?

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time