Name in IC

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Name in IC

Postby Hifive » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:09 am

Hello everyone

My friend's DD has quite a lengthy name in her BC, e.g.

Tan Hwee Ching (Chen huizheng), Lynda

She finds it very troublesome now each time she fills up official forms for her DD. If she wants to take away the hanyu pinyin name in the middle, she has to go to the lawyer and get a deed poll done, right?

Her DD will be renewing her IC in 5 yrs' time.

Any parent has done this before?

Hifive
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Name in IC

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:16 am

Hifive wrote:Hello everyone

She finds it very troublesome now each time she fills up official forms for her DD. If she wants to take away the hanyu pinyin name in the middle, she has to go to the lawyer and get a deed poll done, right?

Yes, you need to get a lawyer to do a deed poll to remove the hanyu pinyin name.

Postby Jennifer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:07 am

How old is her child now?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:09 am

Jennifer wrote:

How old is her child now?

before reaching 12 years old, don't need deed poll
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:16 am

My friend's DD has quite a lengthy name in her BC, e.g. Tan Hwee Ching (Chen huizheng), Lynda

Putting the hanyu pinyin name after the name is very troublesome...my mum didn't know that it was optional. Anyway, I don't write my hanyu pinyin name when I fill up forms although it's included in my IC.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hapydino » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:24 am

my birth cert shows my statutory name + hanyu pin yin name so its a long stretch too.

i remember my form teacher (pri school) advised us tat if we opt to do up our IC (P6 in those days) in both statutory + hanyu pinyin it would be v troublesome in future ie filling up forms.

so the class (majority) heeded his advice and told the officer we dun wan hanyu pinyin to be included in the ic and it was done this way, no hanyu pinyin in my ic.

i was even given a choice do i wan my surname to come first / english name to come first.

hapydino
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:32 am

We recently changed a Chinese character in our 9 y.o boy's birth cert, just go to ICA, a level above the passport collection, to process the change. Paid $x for 1 character change, get an extract an hour later. Very simple process.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hapydino » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:43 am

i know when we did DD's birth cert 3.5yrs ago, they allow us a '14 days exchange' grace period ie any amendments within 14 days no need deed poll..

hapydino
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:21 am

Does the Registry of Births encourage the inclusion of the hanyu pinyin name in brackets? Really makes the name so long and cumbersome.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hapydino » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:26 am

jtoh wrote:Does the Registry of Births encourage the inclusion of the hanyu pinyin name in brackets? Really makes the name so long and cumbersome.

when i did DD's birthday cert the lady say they dun encourage now, maybe they encourage in the past? :p

my idea is just to give my gal eg Apple Tan 陈苹果 but the dad wants the statutory name to be in too!!

hapydino
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time