Guerilla Marketing Campaign backfires yet again

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Guerilla Marketing Campaign backfires yet again

Postby quirkymum » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:35 am

Philips Electronics Singapore engaged an ad agency to advertise its shavers using a new marketing strategy. They filmed a bear mascot 'foraging' for food at a dustbin at Ulu Pandan and put the video up on Stomp. It created a big furore. Wildlife Reserves members went searching for the bear.

While I agree that the marketing stunt was a bad one and it made residents worried about their safety, I also think that sometimes Singaporeans are so used to 'rules' that a little creativity seems to outrage us. This bear incident is really too much but for the Singapore Post ad where they spray painted some mail boxes, it also caused a lot of complaints. I was thinking that it is good that we are very conscious of the laws but that incident was not really life-threatening, perhaps we could wait to see what developed out of it rather than start to call the police the moment we see graffiti on the mail boxes.

I think sometimes we are too used to rules and regulations and when something or somebody breaks the rules, we cannot accept it. It also sends a message at the same time, that we should not step too much out of the box, if not we would get a slap on the wrist.

What do fellow forummers think? :?

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Chengg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:52 am

Sounds like a gp question :lol: I think the bear publicity stunt had crossed the boundary. It was offensive as it made people fear for their lives. For the singpost incident, it was also about vandalism, which is against the laws. But I agree with you that singaporeans are too kiasi and that does limit creativity. I think all these ad agencies that use guerilla tactics tt prob work overseas must be shaking their heads and may have to close their guerilla marketing department.

Chengg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:50 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Nebbermind » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:58 pm

I never thought it could be a bear and was wondering if it was an angmoh kid playing a prank...maybe some pre-halloween fun.

think many of us are just too uptight

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15092
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 152


Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Singapore society need to loosen up a bit

The authority could send a bill to Philips to reimburse cost incurred for the bear hunt

Or they should just inform the Police or some authority in advance of their stunt, then all will be fun
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 pm
Total Likes: 2


Postby duriz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Good thing noone shot the bear (with a gun).

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2282
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:16 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby Funz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:04 pm

think the Zoo fellas super worried. What with the incident of the worker who commit suicide by tiger (or issit lion) then the deers escaping. Hearing that there's a bear out there they immediately checked their bear enclosures.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11121
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:48 pm
Total Likes: 321


Postby quirkymum » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:03 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:Singapore society need to loosen up a bit

The authority could send a bill to Philips to reimburse cost incurred for the bear hunt

Or they should just inform the Police or some authority in advance of their stunt, then all will be fun


Yes, just send them the bill. Don't have to blow up the matter in the newspapers. This way, you also kill the spirit of innovation and of 'trying out'. Everyone is scared to think of the box. Think too far out and get fined, get bad press etc.

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby ChiefKiasu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:03 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:Singapore society need to loosen up a bit

The authority could send a bill to Philips to reimburse cost incurred for the bear hunt

Or they should just inform the Police or some authority in advance of their stunt, then all will be fun


No lah. I kinda wish the zoo keepers found that bear and shot it with a tranquilizer dart. Now, THAT would be news-worthy entertainment :wink:

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15273
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 320


Postby kuzco » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:14 am

quirkymum wrote:Yes, just send them the bill. Don't have to blow up the matter in the newspapers. This way, you also kill the spirit of innovation and of 'trying out'. Everyone is scared to think of the box. Think too far out and get fined, get bad press etc.


The spirit of innovation and creativity need not be killed so long as the relevant authorities are informed beforehand. The scrambling of zoo officials, ACRES and the police was a total waste of time and resources.
Didn't they learn from the Singpost incident? They were asking for trouble and they certainly got it.

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:58 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby quirkymum » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:24 pm

kuzco wrote:
quirkymum wrote:Yes, just send them the bill. Don't have to blow up the matter in the newspapers. This way, you also kill the spirit of innovation and of 'trying out'. Everyone is scared to think of the box. Think too far out and get fined, get bad press etc.


The spirit of innovation and creativity need not be killed so long as the relevant authorities are informed beforehand. The scrambling of zoo officials, ACRES and the police was a total waste of time and resources.
Didn't they learn from the Singpost incident? They were asking for trouble and they certainly got it.


That is the other side of the story, I guess. I think they are wrong in not informing the relevant authorities but Singaporeans as a whole like to make a big fuss as well.

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Recess Time