PSLE = end of the world?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

PSLE = end of the world?

Postby raysusan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:41 pm

http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/featu ... orld_.html

A letter written by a Primary Six pupil expresses the desperation of students who feel pressured to score well in their leaving examinations.
A NUMBER of Primary 6 pupils seem to think that the PSLE is the end of the world.

The main reason for this mindset is usually their own parents.

What may come out from a typical parent's mouth is: "Do well for PSLE. If you score more than 250 marks, I'll buy you a PSP, an iPod and take you to Tokyo for the holidays.

"If you don't, you will have a really hard time in secondary school. Trust me! You will live a much better and easier life if you do well."

My parents go further and say: "If you don't get 258 marks and above, you can jolly well go to a lousy secondary school and live with your grandma!"

All this causes some of us Primary 6 pupils to think that if we don't do well, we will never get into a good school, never succeed in life, never find a job in the future and live a miserable life.

So seriously, what's the point?

If I were a parent, I think a simple sentence, "Just try your best, son" would suffice.

Also, as actions speak louder than words, I would help him with his assessment books and also his time management, no matter how busy I am.

For example, I will help him revise for a certain amount of time and tell him to sleep early.

What I am trying to say is that we students are sometimes coping with more than we can handle and wrestling with stress every day.

We have to resist the temptations of the computer, the TV, the mobile phone and other devices.

If our parents can help us overcome the stress, life would be so much better.

raysusan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tiger262 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:52 pm

What the P6 student has written is quite true. But blaming the parents is not fair either. In my view, the concept of giving sole importance to CoP is to be blamed.

Consider this example based on how I understand the system works. Let us consider an example of Student Y and Z.

Student Y is a good in sports, an expert debater, Vice-head Prefect in school, has won many awards in several competitions representing the school and has a PSLE aggregate of 253.

Student Z has no achievements at all, a total introvert bookworm but has a PSLE aggregate of 254 (just 1 mark more than student Y)

Under the existing CoP cut-off system, student Z will be given priority in choosing secondary school. All the achievements of student Y are of no use at all since he got 1 mark less. The system runs exclusively on CoP.

Now tell me: How will student Y feel? In my view, PSLE is not the end of the world but it often appears so, because of the CoP system. What can the parents do?

Thanks and Regards.

tiger262
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:01 pm

tiger262 wrote:What the P6 student has written is quite true. But blaming the parents is not fair either. In my view, the concept of giving sole importance to CoP is to be blamed.

Consider this example based on how I understand the system works. Let us consider an example of Student Y and Z.

Student Y is a good in sports, an expert debater, Vice-head Prefect in school, has won many awards in several competitions representing the school and has a PSLE aggregate of 253.

Student Z has no achievements at all, a total introvert bookworm but has a PSLE aggregate of 254 (just 1 mark more than student Y)

Under the existing CoP cut-off system, student Z will be given priority in choosing secondary school. All the achievements of student Y are of no use at all since he got 1 mark less. The system runs exclusively on CoP.

Now tell me: How will student Y feel? In my view, PSLE is not the end of the world but it often appears so, because of the CoP system. What can the parents do?

Thanks and Regards.

You are right that too much emphasis is placed on COP. And that's the cause of a lot of stress for parents and kids.

I believe that's why there's now the DSA exercise. It's for students who excel in sports, leadership, CCA etc. So between student Z and student Y, student Y will be given priority at DSA.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:07 pm

PSLE t-score has been the only way to rank EVERY student based on 4 or 5 days of exam performance. Everyone and everything hinges on that 4 or 5 days. Make it or break it. That is until the introduction of DSA for sports / arts / music talent or other CCA like uniformed groups

Therefore PSLE no longer = end of the world.

It is easy to decide between 254 without CCA and 253 with CCA.....but the DSA is decided before the PSLE - so how does anyone know whether it is 253 or 254 ?

It is tougher to gauge between excellent CCA with 200 tscore versus no CCA with 240 tscore .....
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:31 pm

tiger262 wrote:Student Y is a good in sports, an expert debater, Vice-head Prefect in school, has won many awards in several competitions representing the school and has a PSLE aggregate of 253.

Thanks and Regards.

just because Student Z does not possessed leadership qualities or good in debating or other stuff does not mean that he/she does not deserve the 254 score to be one up against Student Y. Student Y chooses a more balanced study lifestyle and Student Z having no other talent other than study only has studying to fall back on. There is also other group of students that do consistently well but just perform badly on that ONE big exam; what about them? - another system flaw?

IMO, whether PSLE is the end of the world is mainly the students' and their own parents' perception. and i too don't agree that the student writer putting blame on the parent and expect the parent to revise with him.
raysusan wrote:http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/features/hottopics/opinion/473456/Does_PSLE_end_of_the_world_.html

For example, I will help him revise for a certain amount of time and tell him to sleep early.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby snowman.697 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:10 pm

PSLE is equal; everyone starts from zero. What determines your secondary school is only on those exam days and the preparation done... but I cannot disagree that only emphasis on the t-score is placed...

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Muffins » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:22 pm

i agree with snowman.697

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time