Singapore, a nation of '75 percenters' ...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:34 pm

by alvina soh 05:55 AM Oct 28, 2010
SINGAPORE - Is the little red dot a nation of "75 percenters"?

Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam appeared to think so, having discovered that many Singaporeans were happy to be competent but not extremely good.

"I half suspect once we get to 75 per cent of that level - which is quite good - you think that's good enough, you're already better than the rest or better than the rest in Singapore," he told Hwa Chong Institution students and 10 industry leaders at an entrepreneurship talk yesterday.

"And that urge to want to go much further and to be exceptional - not because someone is looking or you are trying to win a competition, but you just want to be exceptional - that urge isn't there in Singapore," he added.

But this drive for excellence can be seen in less well-off societies, said Mr Shanmugaratnam.

"If you look around Asia, you find that some of the most inspiring stories come from societies that are in a mess ... But it's those societies that often throw up individuals who want to do something really exceptional."

Citing India as an example, he said that the country's health system, although weak, created an environment where groups of individuals get together and are eager to play a part in developing world-class hospitals.

Some students felt that the minister had a point.

Hwa Chong student Toh Zheng Xiang said: "The sad truth is that the education system in Singapore is such that to get A1, one need only score 75 per cent."

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... centers-,,,
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Singapore, a nation of '75 percenters' ...

Postby Trapwithin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:08 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:Singapore, a nation of '75 percenters' ...
by alvina soh 05:55 AM Oct 28, 2010
SINGAPORE - Is the little red dot a nation of "75 percenters"?

Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam appeared to think so, having discovered that many Singaporeans were happy to be competent but not extremely good.

"I half suspect once we get to 75 per cent of that level - which is quite good - you think that's good enough, you're already better than the rest or better than the rest in Singapore," he told Hwa Chong Institution students and 10 industry leaders at an entrepreneurship talk yesterday.

"And that urge to want to go much further and to be exceptional - not because someone is looking or you are trying to win a competition, but you just want to be exceptional - that urge isn't there in Singapore," he added.

But this drive for excellence can be seen in less well-off societies, said Mr Shanmugaratnam.

"If you look around Asia, you find that some of the most inspiring stories come from societies that are in a mess ... But it's those societies that often throw up individuals who want to do something really exceptional."

Citing India as an example, he said that the country's health system, although weak, created an environment where groups of individuals get together and are eager to play a part in developing world-class hospitals.

Some students felt that the minister had a point.

Hwa Chong student Toh Zheng Xiang said: "The sad truth is that the education system in Singapore is such that to get A1, one need only score 75 per cent."

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/ED ... centers-,,,

He should come to KSP often.
75 Percent in Primary Sch .... hee hee not even in Band 1. :wink:

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:16 pm

There always have to be a balance somewhere. If a child can score easily and can be stretched, then by all means. If one cannot be stretched and in stretching, compromise on health and paying a hefty price to be so, then that is where we need to draw the line.

This generic message of wanting everyone to push themselves so hard can potentially land some families with the loss of their children. I have already known quite a significant number of cases where kids are stressed until severe sickness plague their lives.

So listen to such messages and see if it applies to yourself, don't be blindly led.

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:33 pm

ksi wrote:There always have to be a balance somewhere. If a child can score easily and can be stretched, then by all means. If one cannot be stretched and in stretching, compromise on health and paying a hefty price to be so, then that is where we need to draw the line.

This generic message of wanting everyone to push themselves so hard can potentially land some families with the loss of their children. I have already known quite a significant number of cases where kids are stressed until severe sickness plague their lives.

So listen to such messages and see if it applies to yourself, don't be blindly led.
also don't be complacent
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:47 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
ksi wrote:There always have to be a balance somewhere. If a child can score easily and can be stretched, then by all means. If one cannot be stretched and in stretching, compromise on health and paying a hefty price to be so, then that is where we need to draw the line.

also don't be complacent

I said balance right? :wink:

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:48 pm

ksi wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:

also don't be complacent

I said balance right? :wink:

right !! me blurrrr (today many times liao)...cannot balance
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Ok so we dont follow eyes closed nor should we close eyes and sleep. :wink:

I think the point to note is
to quote the bard out of context "all the world's a stage.."
So dont have the mental block that "Just Singapore is the stage"

Those in HCI are already the among the best in Singapore. So atleast some ( and so do the other school kids - dont flame me, ah) have the ability to reach for the stars ....

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:50 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:right !! me blurrrr (today many times liao)...cannot balance

Errr... add oil? :idea:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:58 pm

And then we have people complaining that parents are the main cause of stress for the kids in Primary schools... :|

Sometimes I really wish the gahmen can make up their mind on what they want us to be.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:01 pm

buds wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:right !! me blurrrr (today many times liao)...cannot balance

Errr... add oil? :idea:

add oil can balance ??
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time