Anyone changed water heater(drum type) before?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Anyone changed water heater(drum type) before?

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:33 pm

My water heater just kaput...corroded and rusty after 10 years, leaking from my ceiling.

Exisiting brand is Ariston(drum type I think, hidden up in false ceiling) but advised to change to Jovan which is stainless steel. Was told that there wud not be any more corrosion problem but in my mind, would it have other problems?

Anyone has water heater experience to share and how much to change?

Re: Anyone changed water heater(drum type) before?

Postby MMM » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:51 pm

ksi wrote:My water heater just kaput...corroded and rusty after 10 years, leaking from my ceiling.

Exisiting brand is Ariston(drum type I think, hidden up in false ceiling) but advised to change to Jovan which is stainless steel. Was told that there wud not be any more corrosion problem but in my mind, would it have other problems?

We used the rheem system. Thought it is the favored brand. It was used in the development we used to stay in. We also installed that for our current place. I think we paid around 15litre for around $400.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:02 pm

MMM wrote:
ksi wrote:My water heater just kaput...corroded and rusty after 10 years, leaking from my ceiling.

We used the rheem system. Thought it is the favored brand. It was used in the development we used to stay in. We also installed that for our current place. I think we paid around 15litre for around $400.

Thanks MMM, does that include the installation cost?

Postby hapydino » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:09 pm

mine was Ariston, drum type from Sim Siang Choon, same problem, rust and leak rusty water, i tink din last 10yrs, maybe 5-6yrs only.

went to Hoe Hup (IMM) and got a replacement @ $350 (30L), includes GST and installation, same brand, same 'pattern' type to fit the pipings (as we are lazy and want lesser hassle/problems).
Last edited by hapydino on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hapydino
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hardworking » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Parents' were using Rheem and it leaked after 6/7 years. They love the warm water so much that they keep it on almost 12 hours a day. After that I got Perla from Sim Siang Choon and it leaked within the warranty period :!: . I called and they replaced a new piece in a box. Parents were angry because I bought it. End up dh helped to replace (and I assisted) unless we could find a contractor. I was very angry :x and told my parents that I will not bother about their things in future. Now it is leaking again :cry: . Don't buy Perla.

hardworking
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:16 pm

insider wrote:

Hi Ksi,

Below my experience:

1. have to see how much space your present water heater currently occupying and then try to buy back similar one.

2. if I remember correctly, if yours is an Ariston, then you cant really changed into a Rheem coz dimensions are different unless you want to re-do piping. Ariston usually are replaced by Jovan if you don't want to replace by Ariston.

3. You will be asked whether your current tank is horizontal or vertical type coz Jovan has two different models to suit the space; so cannot anyhow buy coz the positions of the inlet/outlet are different.

4. Jovan 25 litre is about $245 and 35 litre is about $265, excl installation.

5. Recommend you my regular place to buy cheap heater / fans:

Eng Soon Huat Hardware Merchant
140 Jalan Besar
Singapore 208858
Tel: 6294-0815

6. They don't install but can recommend you people who install. Price reasonable.

Hope it helps!

PS: Generally if your Ariston is very old model type, may have to redo a bit of piping to accommodate the new model.

Thanks insider, that is alot of good info. May I hv the contractor info to get a quote for installation?

Thanks so much! :D

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:21 pm

hapydino wrote:

mine was Ariston, drum type from Sim Siang Choon, same problem, rust and leak rusty water, i tink din last 10yrs, maybe 5-6yrs only.

went to Hoe Hup (IMM) and got a replacement @ $350 (30L), includes GST and installation, same brand, same 'pattern' type to fit the pipings (as we are lazy and want lesser hassle/problems).

Thanks hapydino, for 30L $350 sounds like a good deal. I can just google Hoe Hup and call them?

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:24 pm

hardworking wrote:Parents' were using Rheem and it leaked after 6/7 years. They love the warm water so much that they keep it on almost 12 hours a day. After that I got Perla from Sim Siang Choon and it leaked within the warranty period :!: . I called and they replaced a new piece in a box. Parents were angry because I bought it. End up dh helped to replace (and I assisted) unless we could find a contractor. I was very angry :x and told my parents that I will not bother about their things in future. Now it is leaking again :cry: . Don't buy Perla.

Thanks hardworking for sharing your experience. Per insider, I probably cannot just replace with any brand so have to look at ariston or jovan now.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:30 pm

insider wrote:
ksi wrote:
Thanks insider, that is alot of good info. May I hv the contractor info to get a quote for installation?

Thanks so much! :D

You will have to call Eng Soon Huat and then they will recommend you the right type of heater to replace and at the same time, get your number to let the contractor to call you (then contractor will ask you whether concealed, not concealed, etc)...

ok thanks! :wink:

Postby hardworking » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:37 pm

ksi wrote:
hardworking wrote:Parents' were using Rheem and it leaked after 6/7 years. They love the warm water so much that they keep it on almost 12 hours a day. After that I got Perla from Sim Siang Choon and it leaked within the warranty period :!: . I called and they replaced a new piece in a box. Parents were angry because I bought it. End up dh helped to replace (and I assisted) unless we could find a contractor. I was very angry :x and told my parents that I will not bother about their things in future. Now it is leaking again :cry: . Don't buy Perla.

Thanks hardworking for sharing your experience. Per insider, I probably cannot just replace with any brand so have to look at ariston or jovan now.

Since we (dh & I) are quite good at replacing it, I am thinking of getting the same Perla for my parents, again. :lol: Can save on installation. LOL.

hardworking
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time