Would You Let Your Kids Skip School

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Would You Let Your Kids Skip School

Postby Busymom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, would you let your primary school kids skip school to go to another country for Chinese New Year (grandparents there), and if so, skip for how many days?

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Would You Let Your Kids Skip School

Postby LKVM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Busymom wrote:Just out of curiosity, would you let your primary school kids skip school to go to another country for Chinese New Year (grandparents there), and if so, skip for how many days?

I think I will if required, maybe for a week :?

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:53 pm

Busymom wrote:Just out of curiosity, would you let your primary school kids skip school to go to another country for Chinese New Year (grandparents there), and if so, skip for how many days?

I would like to, but the schools would not allow (or discourage), so on that basis, I would not do it as it sends the wrong message to my kids.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Did you know that you will need permission from the P for doing so?
Else it will be recorded as truancy.

If grandparents are overseas, I will let my boy skip school.
Can skip the school CNY celebrations (means can leave in the afternoon before the celebration day).

Depending on that particular year's CNY, if happen to have long weekends then may not need to skip anything extra. Else maybe have to skip 1-2 days.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:01 pm

why not ?

but from the school's perspective, what happens if it becomes widespread .... like eg only half the class is left ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby RRMummy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:16 pm

i would..max abt a week... especially if they are only in P1 :wink:

Will definitely talk to the FT before that and bring along anything she will miss during this time.... :D

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby peterch » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:23 pm

I would if I have to. I think it's not an issue for asking permission from the P :D

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 pm

My kids skipped school in September for 3 days.

My ds qualified for an incentive trip to Tokyo and all his expenses were paid for by the company. We saw that as a great opportunity for the family to go for the trip together.

All I did was write an excuse letter to the form teacher informing her of the kid's absence and give her the reason before the trip.

Both my children are from different schs and I did the same thing for both schs and had no problem. In fact, dd had sci practical exam and ds has oral exam on one of the days. I was prepared that they will get zero for the exams cos no MC to cover absence but the HODs (from both schs) allowed them to do the exams on the day they returned to school.

So, I don't think it is that difficult to ask for excuse to skip school for a few days, especially if the reason is valid.

Lock
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Lock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Oh ya, and since that time was near EOY exam, I actually requested the form teachers to give my kids all the work that they would miss for those 3 days and both did that gladly.

I got my children to do the homework on the 8 hr flight to and fro. In that way, they didnt have to clear mountain of homework after the trip.

Lock
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Busymom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:51 pm

LKVM wrote:

I think I will if required, maybe for a week :?

hmm... a week is definitely too long for me. In P1 maybe still ok, but in upper levels...? I wouldn't want to catch up on 1-week's worth of homework after the holiday.

Busymom
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time