Encyclopedia.....is it worth buying?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Encyclopedia.....is it worth buying?

Postby cluelessmom » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:39 pm

Yesterday, my ger hinted to me that she has taken a new interest in reading up encyclopedia. :shock: Should I pretend I din hear that.... hee hee (afterall, the interest might be gone quickly) or should I invest in one? (heart pain......) Any suggestions on cheap and good ones? :lol:
P.S. She is not interested in reading free ones fr the net :cry:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby BlueBells » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Well, to see if her interest holds, and to save yourself from the big damage in the pocket, tell her you will subsidise her if she starts saving for it too. :D

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Encyclopedia.....is it worth buying?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:24 pm

cluelessmom wrote:Yesterday, my ger hinted to me that she has taken a new interest in reading up encyclopedia. :shock: Should I pretend I din hear that.... hee hee (afterall, the interest might be gone quickly) or should I invest in one? (heart pain......) Any suggestions on cheap and good ones? :lol:
P.S. She is not interested in reading free ones fr the net :cry:

How old is your girl? The problem is not just the cost of the books, but also the storage and maintenance of what was essentially huge tree trunks. Perhaps you should just introduce your kid to magazines such as the Young Scientist. Cheaper and more relevant.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Re: Encyclopedia.....is it worth buying?

Postby cluelessmom » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:48 pm

The problem is not just the cost of the books, but also the storage and maintenance of what was essentially huge tree trunks.

Hahaha tks CKS for pointing out storage issue.....cuz we really are running outta space, I will probably have to factor in the cost of buying a new bookshelf to accommodate them :roll:

Dear bluebells, think I will stall her off wif your suggestion :wink:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sashimi » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:55 am

When I saw the topic title I was going to say "no need lah, got wiki." :)

But thinking back to my childhood days, I think it's not a bad idea. At some point I also developed a fascination for random facts, so I get my mom to buy those thick "Did you know?" books from popular/big bookshop. She later bought me the 1985 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica, which DID in fact help me through school.

But this is before the days of the internet.

I think it's worth investing in a single-volume encyclopedia first; shouldn't discourage her from such random learning. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby alwaysLovely » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:55 pm

Ha! I still have the entire set of enclyop in my shelf. Bought 10 over years ago. I remember clearly it was those house to house selling. My mum bought it as I think she was sold over by the salesman.

I think for the 1st 3 days, it was fun as it was something new for a primary school child like me.
After that, those books were gathering dust at one side unless I have a project to find out more information on.

I remember the cost was about $2000 over dollars for the entire set.

In my opinion, libraries have these encylo as well and frankly I would think it's rare that most children would love to read them, given the thickness and the amount of materials in it.

You could perhaps start off buying those thinner books for your child and see if the interest persists or is it a one time wonder kind of interest.

PS: if you are keen, I'm willing to let go my "The New Book of Knowledge" full set of enclyp (good condition, almost new) at a fraction of the price :lol:

alwaysLovely
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cluelessmom » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:58 pm

Tks alwayslovely, I think she has already gotten over the novelty of it.....
Tks to the good advice from the kiasu parents here...save me quite a bit of $$$ :lol:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time