Should MOE limit the time of a student staying in school?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you think MOE should limit the time of a student staying in school?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:58 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 14

Should MOE limit the time of a student staying in school?

Postby Big fish » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:58 am

Hardly see your child? Reach home very late and your child has no time to do homework? Tired with projects and CCA? Not enough sleep?

So this free them up to complete their homeworks and has sufficient sleep.
Workers are protected from employers abuse, how about students????

Big fish
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Brenda10 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 am

For primary school children, I believe they are truly stayed in school for supplementary/remedial class.

As for Secondary onward, may be they spend most of the time in shopping center or fast food restaurant etc

Just my 2 cents thought

Brenda10
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Should MOE limit the time of a student staying in school

Postby 3Boys » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:44 am

Big fish wrote:Hardly see your child? Reach home very late and your child has no time to do homework? Tired with projects and CCA? Not enough sleep?

So this free them up to complete their homeworks and has sufficient sleep.
Workers are protected from employers abuse, how about students????

Any specific examples? Can't see how this can be practically implemented. I stayed in school a lot in my day, including PH and weekends, for CCA, tutorials and catch up with schoolwork with friends, and my parents felt it was really up to me to manage my time.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wonderm » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:41 pm

I don't think we should request or expect MOE to limit the time kids spend in school. We (parents and children) need to learn to have better control of our lives and not to expect government to step in every time. For primary school kids, if the parents really think the kids spend too much time attending supp classes in school, as long as the parents talk to the school teachers, I believe no one can force a child to attend those supp classes. Of course, it takes a lot of courage to dare to be different and not to be worried about our kids losing out if they miss supp classes others attend. For secondary school kids, it is up to them to decide how actively they take part in CCAs and other school activities (official or unofficial). Parents can guide them to prioritise and strike a balance.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:02 pm

wonderm wrote:I don't think we should request or expect MOE to limit the time kids spend in school. We (parents and children) need to learn to have better control of our lives and not to expect government to step in every time. For primary school kids, if the parents really think the kids spend too much time attending supp classes in school, as long as the parents talk to the school teachers, I believe no one can force a child to attend those supp classes. Of course, it takes a lot of courage to dare to be different and not to be worried about our kids losing out if they miss supp classes others attend. For secondary school kids, it is up to them to decide how actively they take part in CCAs and other school activities (official or unofficial). Parents can guide them to prioritise and strike a balance.
:goodpost:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Quintessential Mum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Actually, i would prefer that they have school from 9am to 5pm like in AU/NZ and have a proper teabreak and lunchbreak and have time to do their homework/CCA/Tuition etc within that time. :wink:

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:09 pm

wonderm wrote:I don't think we should request or expect MOE to limit the time kids spend in school. We (parents and children) need to learn to have better control of our lives and not to expect government to step in every time. For primary school kids, if the parents really think the kids spend too much time attending supp classes in school, as long as the parents talk to the school teachers, I believe no one can force a child to attend those supp classes. Of course, it takes a lot of courage to dare to be different and not to be worried about our kids losing out if they miss supp classes others attend. For secondary school kids, it is up to them to decide how actively they take part in CCAs and other school activities (official or unofficial). Parents can guide them to prioritise and strike a balance.

:goodpost:

In Primary school- I think the hectic schedule comes from parents sending Kids to tutions, academic enrichment, arts enrichment and/or sports enrichments.

A lot rests with parents - especially us kiasu ones :nunchuk: ... we have to be clear on our proirities

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LOLMum » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:16 pm

i would definitely like to have my kids home at around 3pm. the latest maybe 4pm. not that they have rounds of tuition to go to after school but i would rather they come home, relax, watch a show or two, do their own work and also give me time to prepare dinner so they can have an early dinner and go to bed early.

i dislike staying back in school for long hours espeically to do projects because 80% of the time, we end up playing and got to rush like mad 24 hours before dateline.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:25 pm

MOE already limits the time by having the school premises locked up every evening.

I agree with wonderm. It's up to us to advise our kids on how to manage their time.

Also, if you feel that your child's school is organising too many events and it's too taxing on your child, you always have the option to transfer to a less demanding school. :D

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby chrisu » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:36 am

Definitely the school should limit the number of hours a student spent in school especially for Primary Sch.

My daughter primary sch going to have extended curriculum hours for Mon and Wed from morning all the way to 3.30pm. The reason given is to enhance teaching and learning for Upper Primary students.

This year my daughter has extended hours on every Monday but the principal explained that it's supplementary class only and it's optional after my feedback.

When I checked on what was taught during the extended hours, not all are supplementary and some are actually make up lesson as every Thursday, the school still having Contact Time. So such extended hours are, I believed, make up hours for the lost time spent on Contact Time but the principal refuse to admit it.

Are our syllabus so extensive that primary sch students need to extend their curriculum hours to 3.30pm for 2 out of 5 days? Moreover, how is the quality of teaching during such extended hours? Will the stretching of teaching hours really enhanced the students ability in learning more?

I firmly believed such extended hours will only make the students feel more stress and tire and do not enhance their learning. It will be worst afther the extended hours, they still have tons of homework to do.

During the extended hours, the students are given only 1/2 hour of lunch time and if the teacher for the last lesson before lunch delay their dismissal, they will have lesser time minus the queueing up time.

Such extended hours only look good for the principal to deem as value added by having more supplementary classes for the students.

chrisu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time