Recess time: How long is enough?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How long you hope the recess time to be?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:04 am

25 mins
14%
30 mins
14%
35 mins
14%
40 mins
57%

Total votes : 14

Recess time: How long is enough?

Postby Big fish » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:04 am

My child is studying in P6 and her class in on the 6th floor, and they can't use the lift. Their recess is 25 mins. If they have PE before recess, they need to change back to uniform during recess time before rushing to canteen and join the long queue. So, I need to give her home snack, if not she might have left 5 mins for eating. Sometimes she doesn't even have time to go toilet ( long queue again ). Their sch has staggered recess but still doesn't help much.

So, how long is your child's recess. Is it too short?

Big fish
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Recess time: How long is enough?

Postby Quintessential Mum » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Big fish wrote:My child is studying in P6 and her class in on the 6th floor, and they can't use the lift. Their recess is 25 mins. If they have PE before recess, they need to change back to uniform during recess time before rushing to canteen and join the long queue. So, I need to give her home snack, if not she might have left 5 mins for eating. Sometimes she doesn't even have time to go toilet ( long queue again ). Their sch has staggered recess but still doesn't help much.

I think that the kids do not have enough time for recess. On top of that, they end up having to eat lunch at say 2/3/4pm! No wonder so many kids have gastric problems. :x

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Big fish wrote:My child is studying in P6 and her class in on the 6th floor, and they can't use the lift. Their recess is 25 mins. If they have PE before recess, they need to change back to uniform during recess time before rushing to canteen and join the long queue. So, I need to give her home snack, if not she might have left 5 mins for eating. Sometimes she doesn't even have time to go toilet ( long queue again ). Their sch has staggered recess but still doesn't help much.

My son has recess at the same time as P3 (also staggered)...cannot use lift to come down from 5th floor. As such, need to prepare his recess or else he doesn't have enough time to eat if he has to queue to buy his food. Have to go loo before recess ends or else teacher will be angry if visit loo after that. Just wondering, can MOE look into this and show more compassion towards the children. 25 minutes is short...P3 and P4 having recess at the same time, have to join queue to buy food and visit loo.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:48 pm

my DS's classroom is on the 4th floor, no lift.

to ensure he has sufficient time to eat, we pack a snack for him each day. He only need to queue & buy his milk. so far, he has been able to find time to play after eating.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby sakura_2009 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:19 pm

DS has the same problem here. In cases where the teacher releases the students late (even by 1-2 minutes), he has simply not enough time to finish his food. Imagine having to walk verrryyy fast (sometimes run), joined the snaking queues (& it so happened that there are always 1-2 food stalls which are extremely popular), and find a place to sit, he would hardly have enough time to enjoy his food. Just gobble as much as he can (unfortunately he happen to be a slow eater), and usually not able to finish them :(

Now I just packed his food (usually bread and pastries) and packet milk. Even though its almost the same type of food everyday (as it will be difficult to pack other types such as rice and noodles which may turn bad by recess time), I guess it beats not eating a proper meal after all.

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autolycus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:58 pm

I think 20 minutes is fine if the logistic problems are taken care of. Human appetite is limited; after 10-20 minutes it begins to fall off because that's the normal meal duration for a human.

The only treatment consistently shown to extend life in some animals is calorie restriction. Whether it works for humans is hard to determine.

See http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/magazine/11Calories-t.html for one of the more recent studies.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Son has proper breakfast at home every morn, so his recess is just something simple to last until he returns home for lunch. However, I understand what it feels like to have to wait in a long queue to buy food. It's a headache thinking what to pack for his recess everyday...next year, when daughter goes to P1, have to pack for 2.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Why are your kid's recesses so short? As a student, I remembered my recess in Primary school was 30 minutes and in Secondary school it was 40 minutes.

Honestly, I've asked my students and most of them have a hearty breakfast at home. They seldom eat or only snack during recess and they run off to play. With longer recess, it may also mean more playing time for other students, resulting in increased risk of injury or getting into mischief.

I recall in my Primary school, we only had 2 'designated' areas for play during recess: empty space in front of GO and assembly area. Most of us will be reading a book at assembly area while waiting for recess to be over.

As a parent, I foresee my son will be one of those who will not sit down to eat but simply rush off to play.

If you feel that time is really too short, gather more parents to write in. Get the chairman of PSG to talk to the Principal. Now is a good time, before they finalise timetable and plans for 2011, they can still make changes. :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby autolycus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Looking at kids these days, I think it is healthier to play without eating than eat without playing... :D

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Recess Time