Help!! Raising a butterfly

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Help!! Raising a butterfly

Postby 3Boys » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:08 am

Hi all,
my son brought home a caterpillar. It's in a transparent container with some leaves. After a couple of days at home, its now in a pre-pupal stage. I am trying to clean out its box before its goes into deep sleep, and provide it with a safe anchoring point (the side of the container is smooth and it seems to be sliding down its side)

Can I move it at this stage to clean out the container? Will it be able to re-anchor at this time?

Thanks!

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peterch » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:17 am

I don't think so. Maybe you could just leave it like it is now...CMIIW :D

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cnimed » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:18 am

I don't understand - has it already anchored? If it has already anchored then don't move it anymore. Just tilt the container so that it won't slide or drop. It won't be crawling around anymore so you don't have to worry about it escaping (which happened to one of our big fat HAIRY caterpillars - eeks!). It also won't poop anymore so no more cleaning.

If it hasn't anchored, you can clean the tank as usual, and put in a disposable chopstick. The caterpillar will most likely anchor on the chopstick. There it is quite firm, and you can move it around easily - but you shouldn't need to.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 3Boys » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:30 am

Hi, its entered into what I understand to be a pre-pupal stage. The box is still pretty filthy from overnight droppings, and I am trying to clear it out before it gets into a deep hibernation. Also, it is anchored to the side of the container which is smooth plastic, and I am trying to move it to something more secure if possible. A wooden chopstick is such a good idea.

It looks like this right now --> http://bp3.blogger.com/_yzw2AzY2du4/R_JHKe1iGYI/AAAAAAAABAg/FQx0JLzzIsU/s1600-h/LB+prepupa.jpg

Should I move it?

Thanks for the replies so far. :thankyou:

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:48 am

peterch wrote:I don't think so. Maybe you could just leave it like it is now...CMIIW :D

Sorry, a bit off topic here and nothing related to butterflies and caterpillars, :oops: :oops: but I am just curious.

What exactly is CMIIW? :? This is the second time I am seeing this term from peterch. Care to enlighten me? :? Thanks. :wink:

Postby maki » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 pm

3Boys wrote:Hi, its entered into what I understand to be a pre-pupal stage. The box is still pretty filthy from overnight droppings, and I am trying to clear it out before it gets into a deep hibernation. Also, it is anchored to the side of the container which is smooth plastic, and I am trying to move it to something more secure if possible. A wooden chopstick is such a good idea.

It looks like this right now --> http://bp3.blogger.com/_yzw2AzY2du4/R_JHKe1iGYI/AAAAAAAABAg/FQx0JLzzIsU/s1600-h/LB+prepupa.jpg

Should I move it?

Thanks for the replies so far. :thankyou:

Overnight, it should be a pupa by now. Just LEAVE it alone, don't even bother to clean up. It may fall off from the twig or support, but it's ok. Just leave it in a dry place & AVOID moving or shaking it. Just observe from afar & leave a small gap on the lid. In about 11-13 days' time, you should get to see the beautiful transformation!

We were always fascinated by the overnight transformation from the caterpillar to pupa. Once, we tried to capture it's "weaving" moment when it was about to change into a full pupa (& it only happened when it's dark) - but we totally regretted our action cos when it sees the light, the "weaving" stopped half-way and the caterpillar eventually died in that state. :cry:

maki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 3Boys » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 pm

maki wrote:Overnight, it should be a pupa by now. Just LEAVE it alone, don't even bother to clean up. It may fall off from the twig or support, but it's ok. Just leave it in a dry place & AVOID moving or shaking it. Just observe from afar & leave a small gap on the lid. In about 11-13 days' time, you should get to see the beautiful transformation!

We were always fascinated by the overnight transformation from the caterpillar to pupa. Once, we tried to capture it's "weaving" moment when it was about to change into a full pupa (& it only happened when it's dark) - but we totally regretted our action cos when it sees the light, the "weaving" stopped half-way and the caterpillar eventually died in that state. :cry:

Thank you maki! So even if it falls off the perch, it'll be able to pupate? It really caught us by surprise when it changed overnight and my boys were screeching with excitement this morning.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Where would I go to get a caterpillar? This is so interesting.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 3Boys » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:18 pm

jtoh wrote:Where would I go to get a caterpillar? This is so interesting.

This was from school. My P1 son took one home.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby krazy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:27 pm

my girl had pet butterflies once. haha. it was fun while it lasted. but totally hassle-free.. haha

but she was really sad when it turned into a butterfly and had to fly off.

krazy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time