At what age (in your 40s) will you still give birth?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Until what age will you be willing to give birth in your 40s?

Definitely below 40 years old
70%
Between 40 to 43 years old
30%
Between 44 to 45 years old
No votes
Between 46 to 48 years old
No votes
Between 49 to 50 years old
No votes

Total votes : 30

At what age (in your 40s) will you still give birth?

Postby DesertWind » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi all,

I would like to find out from mummies & daddies here until what age will you be willing to conceive and give birth to your last baby?

To protect the age-sensitive forumners, I have created a poll for you to vote in the age ranges. But if you don't mind, would appreciate to hear your sharing too, of your experience of the pros/cons of being an older mummy - whether by choice or circumstances!

For a start, Zoe Tay is now 42 and just gave birth to her 3rd child recently. I read an article interview and she would like to have 4 kids and her husband asked her whether she is still sticking to her plan? She said that she will cry if she has to give birth when she is 48!

So at what age would you be willing to give birth to your youngest BB? Thanks!
:wink:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Big fish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi

I think the earlier the better, if not I'll be an old ah mah when my kids are big.... :cry:

Big fish
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby daddy2007 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:58 pm

I heard there is high chance of development problem/defect with foetus/baby if you give birth after 40

daddy2007
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby duriz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:10 pm

I had DD (first child) when I was 40.
All natural conception, smooth pregnancy and delivery.
No illness nor complications.
I would love to have more children.
But I don't think I will have another one.
Very low energy levels.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DesertWind » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Big fish wrote:Hi, I think the earlier the better, if not I'll be an old ah mah when my kids are big.... :cry:

Hi Big fish,

This is of course and goes without saying, the younger the better. But sometimes one cannot really plan it so well. Like for me, my "fate" is late so I got married in my mid-thirties and have my #1 in my late thirties. Tried for #2 until I crossed 40 and still game despite the age but there is a limit that's why I set up this poll to see what are others' views.

I will advise any younger couple to have kids as early as possible if they can help it but most of the time, you will be surprised by their answer, either too tired, no time or don't want!

:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DesertWind » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:24 pm

daddy2007 wrote:I heard there is high chance of development problem/defect with foetus/baby if you give birth after 40

Hi daddy2007,

Yes, statistically the chances are higher as the age increased. But it does not stop some of my friends from trying and the kids turned out quite well. One friend gave birth at 43 years-old, natural conception, via caesarian, both mother and baby were fine. But my this friend suffered a few miscarriages before this one and boy was I glad for her that she finally had a successful birth!

Mummy Duriz here gave birth at age 40, also conceive naturally and baby ok!

My gynae shared with me that he has handled mummies age 43, 46 who give birth to healthy babies too! And since these were their first kids, everybody rejoiced for them!

So I guess for those who really, really desire to have their own kids, the statistics may not hinder them. For older women, gynae will advise/offer a scan and blood test to be done to determine the chances of down syndrome and may offer the amnio test to have a confirmed diagnostics in the 13 weeks so that the parents can be kept informed.

I suppose I will rather be optimistic and think about falling on the good side of the statistics if I so desire to have a kid at a late age.

:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pecalis » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:29 pm

I wanted to have 4 kids but #3 arrived when I was 37. Now tt I'm past 40, doubt will try for #4. However, when dh reached 40, told me he's ready to be a father... For the 1st 3 kids, he just obliged me as my biological clock was ticking away...

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby DesertWind » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:30 pm

duriz wrote:I had DD (first child) when I was 40.
All natural conception, smooth pregnancy and delivery.
No illness nor complications.
I would love to have more children.
But I don't think I will have another one.
Very low energy levels.

Hi duriz,

Me too I had my boy when I was 38, natural conception, smooth pregnancy, no vomiting at all. In fact I felt so well I ever worked till 12 midnight and 3 am in my 2nd trimester and traveled to Switzerland on business trip when I was 7 months pregnant!

Natural delivery too.

I am still game to try for #2 but I will agree with you on the energy level. But both my DH and I are quite determine to have a sibling for my boy so....

Also my husband who is a few years older than me is feeling the age gap more ie. he is saying by the time the boy is xx years old, I will already be xx years old....

So that is the consideration here and I will need to think through what is my cut-off age lor....

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pecalis » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 pm

DesertWind wrote:I am still game to try for #2 but I will agree with you on the energy level. But both my DH and I are quite determine to have a sibling for my boy so....

Also my husband who is a few years older than me is feeling the age gap more ie. he is saying by the time the boy is xx years old, I will already be xx years old....

So that is the consideration here and I will need to think through what is my cut-off age lor....

If you are determined to have a sibling for your boy, i would say go for it. I also have friends (know of 4) who have children beyond 40 and all perfect and healthy. Should not wait too long...

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:17 pm

I am all for it, as long as health permits. And as long as you are mentally, physically and emotionally prepared for the long haul, then why not??

I suppose 43, for me, is a good age to stop.

I hope by then to be able to have 3 kids in total, though my original intention was to have 4. I have 1 now :pray:

I too had my 1st baby in my mid thirties and it was smooth sailing for me as well. All attributed to positive visualization and thinking, which I believe is essential in having a positive birth.

Also I find that having my child late (not by choice, I tried for 3 yrs before conceiving successfully and naturally), wasn't so bad cuz I was more grounded in my priorities and also emotionally more, how should I say, errrrrr matured :wink:

As for the age gap, its all in the mind lah .....

I grew up watching Sesame Street, but now I am enjoying Barney and Thomas and Friends. I am also enjoying playing catching, hide and seek, capteh etc ... with my DS. Its how you make the ATTEMPT to connect with your kids, regardless whether you were in your 20s, 30s or 40s when you gave birth that matters.

My 2 cents.

DesertWind, I say go for it :celebrate:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time