LED vs LCD's

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

LED vs LCD's

Postby LOstFinDer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:46 am

Was shopping for a TV at parkway last sat... came across a LG 42" LCD for $798... so i asked the salesman to tell me more.. He just said it's old stuff and i should be looking at LED TV's instead...
So he showed me a $1199 LG 42" LED... and i told him.. not much diff leh..
Next thing u know.. he shows me a Sharp Quad Colour LED... says new stuff in town.. 40" for $1299...
Seriously... what's the diff between all of them?? Anyway since Sitex's starting tmr... i told him i'll wait... =)

LOstFinDer
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: LED vs LCD's

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:54 am

LOstFinDer wrote:Was shopping for a TV at parkway last sat... came across a LG 42" LCD for $798... so i asked the salesman to tell me more.. He just said it's old stuff and i should be looking at LED TV's instead...
So he showed me a $1199 LG 42" LED... and i told him.. not much diff leh..
Next thing u know.. he shows me a Sharp Quad Colour LED... says new stuff in town.. 40" for $1299...
Seriously... what's the diff between all of them?? Anyway since Sitex's starting tmr... i told him i'll wait... =)

I think LED's tv is much clearer and LCD.
Anyway, mine is LCD because LED is way beyond my budget. To me, a tv is still a tv as long as it is not that old fashioned box type. :wink:

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Gecko » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Great!I hope someone who knows will chip in. I too want to know.

All I know is LED comprises of many small bulbs (?)so the pic is clearer. But I understand it consumes more eletricity than LCD. Or am I wrong?

Gecko

Gecko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Gecko wrote:Great!I hope someone who knows will chip in. I too want to know.

All I know is LED comprises of many small bulbs (?)so the pic is clearer. But I understand it consumes more eletricity than LCD. Or am I wrong?

Gecko

According to my brother & hubs...
LED saves electricity compared to LCD.
And I think they mentioned something about less heat generated?

Anyway, my mum was deciding between a LCD and LED and naturally, her son decided that since you are buying a new TV, you might as well get a good one. So, they bought a Samsung LED.

Compared with the Samsung LCD at my place, the colours are brighter and more vivid. The images are also sharper. I needed some time to get used to it.

I would say, if you are hardcore movie fan who buys Blu-ray, then LED is for you.
If you are a leisure watcher, then LCD is good enough, unless you feel like splurging and getting some bragging rights on getting the latest technology in TV. :p

Honestly, even my wedding DVD looked so good on the LED.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lwm99 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:58 am

LED TV is still basically a LCD TV, don't be misled. In terms of contrast, LCD/LED still cannot fight with a plasma TV. Some may tell you plasma TV has burn-in issue, consume more power etc, but those were the old issues few years back. You do not see these issues in current plasma TV.

lwm99
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hquek » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:04 am

LED is much thinner (prettier to me), and consumes less energy. I went around Courts touching the panels and there were discernible differences in the heat generated by plasma/lcd/led.

No regrets buying a Sony LED in place of the old CRT TV I had.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby CookiesMonster » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:20 am

lwm99 wrote:LED TV is still basically a LCD TV, don't be misled. In terms of contrast, LCD/LED still cannot fight with a plasma TV. Some may tell you plasma TV has burn-in issue, consume more power etc, but those were the old issues few years back. You do not see these issues in current plasma TV.

i concur with you. i watch blue-ray movies from morning till night and feels my plasma win hands down in terms of colour over my lcd. i can't do that with my lcd as the colours are too glaring. as for heat generated, i feel that it is the same (37" lcd over 50" plasma). in fact, my lcd heat up faster than my plasma and now my 2yrs old lcd colour is fading.

the difference btw led tv and lcd tv is only the led backlit lighting up. don't be misled by all the advertising if you are looking at getting lcd. btw, hardly sees crt nowadays. :D

CookiesMonster
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:24 am

Plasma flat screen technology consists of hundreds of thousands of individual pixel cells, which allow electric pulses (stemming from electrodes) to excite rare natural gases-usually xenon and neon-causing them to glow and produce light. This light illuminates the proper balance of red, green, or blue phosphors contained in each cell to display the proper color sequence from the light. Each pixel cell is essentially an individual microscopic florescent light bulb, receiving instruction from software contained on the rear electrostatic silicon board. Look very closely at a plasma TV and you can actually see the individual pixel cell coloration of red, green, and blue bars. You can also see the black ribs which separate each.

all LCD displays come from the same technological background. A matrix of thin-film transistors (TFTs) supplies voltage to liquid-crystal-filled cells sandwiched between two sheets of glass. When hit with an electrical charge, the crystals untwist to an exact degree to filter white light generated by a lamp behind the screen (for flat-panel TVs) or one projecting through a small LCD chip (for projection TVs). LCD monitors reproduce colors through a process of subtraction: They block out particular color wavelengths from the spectrum of white light until they're left with just the right color. And, it's the intensity of light permitted to pass through this liquid-crystal matrix that enables LCD televisions to display images chock-full of colors-or gradations of them. LED TVs are a new form of LCD Television, see our complete coverage of LED TVs here.

older LCD is lighted by "flourescent" light shining across the panel at the edge, so-called edge-lit LCD, then they create the colours and black by covering up....

LED is by light emitting diode, and with back-lit LED, it means the LED is at the back panel, not at the edge, thus giving better black

just google 'plasma versus LCD' and you will see lots of technical info and brand comparison

done my homework and bought a Panasonic 50" plasma with infinite black
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hapydino » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:33 am

my MBR still sitting a 26" SONY CRT.. :oops:

not spoilt how to throw.. still going strong since 2000.. :love:

hapydino
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby titank » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 am

hapydino wrote:my MBR still sitting a 26" SONY CRT.. :oops:

not spoilt how to throw.. still going strong since 2000.. :love:

Usually CRT can be very long lasting even for decades. Anyway the price difference between LED & LCD is getting quite close so if TV spoilt best to get LED!

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time