Scholarships... is it for your kid?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Scholarships... is it for your kid?

Postby Daddy D » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:17 pm

http://edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/news/ ... tupid.html

"Tony, 27, said his life changed from the day his eligibility for the Gifted Education Programme (GEP) was confirmed.... He added that he was so stressed out that he "hated turning up at family gatherings on festive occasions, weddings and even wakes"."

"She said: "Academically, I know I've attained success, but it's when I start to work that the professional comparison will come because I'd be inclined to do as well, if not better, than those in my cohort."

Looking at some of the scholars' remarks.... makes me wonder if our kids are suitable for these scholarships/programmes... and at what price?
And how to prep our kids... life skills... not just to ace the scholarship interviews.

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2745
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 3


Postby UncleLim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:06 pm

I agree with you.

Don't be fooled and think that the "Scholar" label is all good. There is a price to pay too.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 7


Postby carebear » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:13 pm

When young, scholarship is something so prestigious.
When graduate then may regret especially if there is a long bond which does not allow you to defer and pursue further studies.
Before accepting a scholarship, consider the bond first and whether the job is something you like.
If possible parents scholarship is the best :D .
It is usually bond free.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:38 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby noobparent » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:25 pm

UncleLim wrote:I agree with you.

Don't be fooled and think that the "Scholar" label is all good. There is a price to pay too.


Oh yes. Break the bond and see how much you have to pay. Woo hoo!

noobparent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:39 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby phankao » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:35 pm

carebear wrote:When young, scholarship is something so prestigious.
When graduate then may regret especially if there is a long bond which does not allow you to defer and pursue further studies.
Before accepting a scholarship, consider the bond first and whether the job is something you like.
If possible parents scholarship is the best :D .
It is usually bond free.


Work hard - your own scholarship even better!!!!!!!!!! No obligations to anyone!

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm
Total Likes: 6



Postby noobparent » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:24 pm

phankao wrote:
carebear wrote:When young, scholarship is something so prestigious.
When graduate then may regret especially if there is a long bond which does not allow you to defer and pursue further studies.
Before accepting a scholarship, consider the bond first and whether the job is something you like.
If possible parents scholarship is the best :D .
It is usually bond free.


Work hard - your own scholarship even better!!!!!!!!!! No obligations to anyone!


No bond, that is true. Maximum flexibility after graduation.

Many scholars take up the scholarship, only to regret later on because they wanted to do other things, or join other companies rather than return to serve their bond.

I always felt that if the parents could afford it, their kids shouldn't take up the scholarship. Give the scholarship to other kids who can't afford it.

noobparent
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:39 pm
Total Likes: 0



Return to Recess Time