General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

headache, don't like maths

Postby adarsa » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:37 pm

i don't like maths at all. I hate remembering those formulas and stuffs

adarsa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Suz855 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Do you love chocolates, reward yourself a chocolate if you start to recall the formulae & better if you can use the formula to solve the problems .............. very soon, you will enjoy the subject.

:D

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Muffins » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 pm

mods, pls move this to the "Working With Your Child" thread please....

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Muffins wrote:mods, pls move this to the "Working With Your Child" thread please....

Is the person a child???

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Muffins » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:13 pm

not sure, i thought that it could belong better in that thread though....

Muffins
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sandybeach » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:57 pm

me 2 :cry: i think this is call lacking in mathematically sense

sandybeach
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Funz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:27 pm

Guess what, I hated math when I was studying as well. Kept wondering why in the world would I need to know cosine, sine, tangent, co-tangent.

My very wise daddy kept telling me, you don't have to like it, you just have to do it. Keep practicing and you will be able remember the formulas. And of all the subjects, math is the one subject that is the easiest to score a distinction.

I did not believe him then and of course math is the last subject that I will touch whenever I prepare for my exams. My dad did something once. He got me a series of assessments and told me to do it. Told me to try it just this once, what have I got to lose? Think I was in Sec 2 then. I thought ok, just try and get him off my case. I went through a couple of assessment books b4 exams and true enough, my grades went up. I applied that theory again for my Os and got distinctions for both A & E math.

So now whenever my daughter complains about having to do any math paper, I tell her the same thing my dad told me.

I still don't like math, no affinity for it. And given the current syllabus that kids are going through, it is even more daunting. But I think what my Dad said still holds true.

Don't have to like it, just do it. It is one subject that you can score.

And you know what, once you start getting better marks, you will find that it's not that unbearable afterall. :wink:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 am

Funz wrote:Guess what, I hated math when I was studying as well. Kept wondering why in the world would I need to know cosine, sine, tangent, co-tangent.

My very wise daddy kept telling me, you don't have to like it, you just have to do it. Keep practicing and you will be able remember the formulas. And of all the subjects, math is the one subject that is the easiest to score a distinction.

I did not believe him then and of course math is the last subject that I will touch whenever I prepare for my exams. My dad did something once. He got me a series of assessments and told me to do it. Told me to try it just this once, what have I got to lose? Think I was in Sec 2 then. I thought ok, just try and get him off my case. I went through a couple of assessment books b4 exams and true enough, my grades went up. I applied that theory again for my Os and got distinctions for both A & E math.

So now whenever my daughter complains about having to do any math paper, I tell her the same thing my dad told me.

I still don't like math, no affinity for it. And given the current syllabus that kids are going through, it is even more daunting. But I think what my Dad said still holds true.

And you know what, once you start getting better marks, you will find that it's not that unbearable afterall. :wink:

Spot on!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby momof1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Funz wrote:Guess what, I hated math when I was studying as well. Kept wondering why in the world would I need to know cosine, sine, tangent, co-tangent.

:D

momof1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Recess Time