Visual and Audio learners- Which is better?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Visual and Audio learners- Which is better?

Postby JHJC » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi parents,
have you come across any studies on visual and audio learners? how early can we identify which category our children fall under? is it important to "label" them? does that means that visual learner is faster?
Appreciate your sharing. Cheers!

JHJC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:13 am

I don't know about any studies but I think that instead of "labelling" the children, maybe we should just find out what kind of learner they are and proceed accordingly.
However, bear in mind that when children go to primary school, they are with many others so you can't choose the teaching method anymore. Teachers must cater to various types of learners (other than audio and visual, there are also tactile learner, etc.) and there is limited time and resources. If the children are lucky, the school and teachers may provide different approaches to learning.
So what this means is that the children must know what type of learners they are and take their own notes to help themselves. For example, a visual-spatial learner may choose to create a mindmap. An audio learner may pay more attention to what the teacher says compared to a literary learner who is busy scribbling down in words what the teacher is saying at the same time.

I also doubt that one person is solely one kind of learner. I know I am not. When I am learning new concepts, I will first read about them to understand the words (literary). Then, I may rewrite the concept in pictures (visual-spatial) or equations/cause-effect statements (logical-mathematical). This may work for me if I learn about something like Earth's revolution and orbit causing the four seasons and day-and-night.
But if I'm learning a new piece of music, I fail terribly at sight-reading (visual/literary). I actually fare better if I can listen to the piece first before playing it (audio).

See what I mean? Sorry if this is all so confusing to you. Oh, and by the way, the terms I used are Multiple Intelligence (MI) terms. You can Google for that or Howard Gardner if you're not sure what it is. According to MI theory, everyone has all the MI but in different proportions.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JHJC » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:21 pm

HI Schellen
thanks for the response. Its clear, and i totally feel the same way too.
Just that someone made a comment on my children and i am trying to see if i am missing something? :lol:
ANyway, Merry Christmas!

JHJC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:11 pm

schellen wrote:...I also doubt that one person is solely one kind of learner....

Excellent point. Humans generally process information better visually (eg. a picture paints a thousand words), but applies multiple intelligence as necessary for different topics. In fact, I believe it is not about trying to shape the subject to learning predilection of the child, but rather for the teacher to know how best to present a subject. It is difficult to enjoy poetry by reading it silently, and even more difficult to understand the physics theory of moments without actually getting your hands to feel the weights yourself. For me, the onus is greater on the educator, than for the child to try to shape concepts in the manner best suited for his/her own learning.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:21 pm

In university, we have a course that touch on learning styles and identifying our own preferred styles according to Fleming's VARK model.

As CKS and schellen said, most people use a combination of styles to absorb knowledge.

Besides visual and auditory, there a re also people who are predominantly
kinesthetic learners or tactile learners. People can be prefer one or more style better than others.

However, there is no superior style and I would think that it is not necessary better for learning if one has the mind set that they belong to a certain kind of learner and focus their skills in only one area, especially for children. In fact, young children learn most efficiently using a combination of styles.

Learning styles only means one's dominant method of learning and does not measures how well one learns relative to another person. Just because I am a suppose to be a visual learner does not mean I learn better or faster visually than some one else who is a dominant tactile learner, for example. I may be a lousy learner and learn and retain knowledge less efficiently using my best style compared to someone who
is learning using his least preferred style.

That said, understanding one self can help one to tailored their learning routine to achieve optimal results ini the short term. e.g. An auditory learner may record lectures to listen to or talk to people, A tactile learner probably learn better by doing experiments and project. In the long round, however, it will do a learner more good to keep sharpening his skills on learning in as many ways as they can.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Visual and Audio learners- Which is better?

Postby alwaysLovely » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:29 pm

JHJC wrote:Hi parents,
have you come across any studies on visual and audio learners? how early can we identify which category our children fall under? is it important to "label" them? does that means that visual learner is faster?
Appreciate your sharing. Cheers!

Each individual is unique with their own learning style. There is no research to show each style is more 'superior'. The main 3 learning styles are

Visual ("seeing")
Auditory ("hearing")
Kinestics ("feeling")

Some of us might have a combination of 2 or more styles with one of them being the dominant one. So I could be a mixture of Visual & Auditory Learner with visual being the more dominant one. So teaching me by allowing me to see might enhance my learning ability

:)

alwaysLovely
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Recess Time