Seat belts on school bus

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you think seat belts should be made compulsary on school bus?

Yes
94%
No
No votes
Dunno
6%

Total votes : 16

Seat belts on school bus

Postby mintcc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 am

I was reading the sad story of the 8 year old boy who die after being flung out of a school bus. And is quite appalled to read that there may not be seat belts in some school buses and even when there are, it may not be enforced...

this kind of tragedy could have been prevented. what does the other parents think of this. should there be a rule that enforced the wearing of seat belts for school children on school bus?
Last edited by mintcc on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby lizawa » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:42 am

If I am not wrong, it is not compulsory for school buses to be installed with seat belts, at least not for the smaller vans. Many parents of our school have brought this up many times, but due to the cost of installation, I guess many are not willing to do so. It boils down to the cost.

If the business has problem with the installation cost, I would think that some authority, like the LTA or MOE should try to help to subsidize the cost, in one way or other, to ensure that our children are safely belted up in the bus. I think it really doesn't make sense that one will be fined without a seat belt, whether as the driver or passenger in a car, and yet this safety measure is not enforced in school buses.

lizawa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm

Come to think of it, my daughter's Kinderland van does not have seat belts either. The kids' welfare is dependent on the bus aunty that sits in the back with them. While it is difficult to get kids of that age to wear seat belts, I think it is necessary given the dangers. So yes, we should lobby LTA/TP to enforce seat belts on all school buses. Increased operating cost is a poor excuse.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby super_dad » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:18 pm

If seat beat is needed for school bus...then should it be needed for public buses? And then no standing allowed? I think the authorities don't want to walk down this path.

super_dad
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mintcc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm

I think there should be a case for distinguishing public buses and school bus... either that or we as parents will have to put pressure on the school bus operators to install and enforce seatbelts.

Probably, that might result in increase cost, but I personally feel that it will be money well spent to keep our children safe.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:31 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Come to think of it, my daughter's Kinderland van does not have seat belts either. The kids' welfare is dependent on the bus aunty that sits in the back with them. While it is difficult to get kids of that age to wear seat belts, I think it is necessary given the dangers. So yes, we should lobby LTA/TP to enforce seat belts on all school buses. Increased operating cost is a poor excuse.

Sorry... my mistake... on closer examination today, I saw that the kids on the Kinderland minivan were all securely belted at the waist. Good job!

Anyway... the good news today is that LTA is "looking into" mandatory seat belts for minivans. See the straits times story here.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

We must start first

Postby quixation » Thu May 29, 2008 2:06 pm

If we insist that all buses have seat belts for children for safety reasons, are we as parents doing the same by training our kids to sit in car seats in our own car or in any journey???

I am shocked to read in an earlier report in Straits Times that a lot of parents are NOT belting their kids in car seats!
yes, our kids may yell and scream but I think it starts young.. Why not just invest in a SGD200 DVD player and screen to keep them occupied then and slowly it will train them to sit and fall asleep in the car seat!

Just this year, there was an accident near my house. We didnt hear any collision sounds but of a big stout man screaming and shouting! We are on the 13th floor. can you imagine how loud he was? He was yelling very angrily at another driver of an Harrier. I think the the harrier almost or did hit the small car..Cant remember the car model.. but there was then a lady seated in the front passenger seat who came out of the car carrying a small infant in her arms.. We then hear the man shouting that it could have killed the baby!!! The driver of the harrier was apologetic but that man was still screaming and yelling in the middle of the road until the police came. Where is logic? He is screaming and yelling at people for almost banging into his car endangering his wife and baby, then why is he endangering his baby by
1) Not getting the baby into a car seat
2) Allowing baby to be carried in the front seat (with airbags!!!!!!)

Till today, I dont understand his point! I think the police in the end also fined him for now having child restraint in his car.. I hope..

quixation
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time