Going to school for the 1st time

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Going to school for the 1st time

Postby Angelight » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:40 pm

In about a week's time when school reopens, DD is going to Preschool for the first time! :rahrah:

Kindda excited as well as anxious at the same time - excited cos she is gonna make new friends and learn new things (apart from the homeschooling I've given her so far); and anxious cos she is very clingy to me and DH and not sure how she would react to being apart from us for 2-3 hrs every day... just hope she would adjust well. :pray:

Any parents have anything to share about their darlings going to school for the first time?

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Going to school for the 1st time

Postby janet88 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Angelight wrote:In about a week's time when school reopens, DD is going to Preschool for the first time! :rahrah:

Kindda excited as well as anxious at the same time - excited cos she is gonna make new friends and learn new things (apart from the homeschooling I've given her so far); and anxious cos she is very clingy to me and DH and not sure how she would react to being apart from us for 2-3 hrs every day... just hope she would adjust well. :pray:

Any parents have anything to share about their darlings going to school for the first time?

Yes my kids were very clingy esp with me around...so I got hubby to send them to school instead. Or else, they will be crying buckets.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:59 pm

How exciting!

How your child adjusts depends on their personalities. DS1 screamed and cried for about a month when we had to say goodbye. DS2 went into the room without a second look back! I felt so unloved... :cry:

If DD cries, don't worry, it's normal. The best advice I was given was to just say bye, give a hug and say you'll be back, then LEAVE. Don't linger in your child's presence and allow your child's crying to make you hesitate or come back. I know it sounds cruel, but it's normal behaviour. They just need reassurance. So just make sure you hand your child over to a teacher who will comfort and reassure your child that you will return. Don't allow your child to be left alone to cry. Not reassuring at all.

I followed the advice but was so affected by his screaming & crying so I would peep at DS1 and usually 1-3 mins later, he'd be OK. And you know, usually when I came back to collect him at the end of school, he would be happy to see me, but he would still want to stay in school to play!! I took that as a positive sign.

Of course, I hope that your DD will be more like my DS2 than my DS1! All the best!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby luvmum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:04 am

I'm those that can't have the heart to leave when my kids are crying. That's why my girl takes a week plus to settle well in the childcare at tat time. When it comes to my boy, I ask my husband to go instead. He stops crying for daddy/mummy on his 3rd day. DH really bring him to school and leave him with the teachers w/o staying behind....though he peeps during lunch break again. Guys are just so diff from us...we are liquid, they are solid (rocks to be precise). :imcool:

Next week I'm following my girl to her P1 school. But she has grown up and will not cry anymore....she is looking forward to new school in fact. :love:

luvmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:27 am

luvmum wrote:I'm those that can't have the heart to leave when my kids are crying. That's why my girl takes a week plus to settle well in the childcare at tat time. When it comes to my boy, I ask my husband to go instead. He stops crying for daddy/mummy on his 3rd day. DH really bring him to school and leave him with the teachers w/o staying behind....though he peeps during lunch break again. Guys are just so diff from us...we are liquid, they are solid (rocks to be precise). :imcool:

Next week I'm following my girl to her P1 school. But she has grown up and will not cry anymore....she is looking forward to new school in fact. :love:

It's very painful to hear our kids crying for us, when we leave them with the teachers. As such, I didn't want to bring my kids to kindy and suffer this heart pain. Men are more liquid as in able to bear with that wailing.

Next week, I'm following my daughter to her P1 school too. That girl is solid, didn't cry at all when she went to kindy. I will accompany her and kaypoh kaypoh on the first day (830-12pm). :wink:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby toddles » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:40 am

Angelight wrote:In about a week's time when school reopens, DD is going to Preschool for the first time! :rahrah:

Mine too! She's very clingy to me... heard that it's best that someone other than the parents send them to school so the 'parting' will be less painful, but it makes most sense for me and hubs to send her to school en route to work... so... let's see how it goes!

am bracing myself for major tears, but am also the kind of mummy who is quite good and turning and walking away.

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:07 pm

toddles wrote:

Mine too! She's very clingy to me... heard that it's best that someone other than the parents send them to school so the 'parting' will be less painful, but it makes most sense for me and hubs to send her to school en route to work... so... let's see how it goes!

am bracing myself for major tears, but am also the kind of mummy who is quite good and turning and walking away.

Personally I cannot take it...sometimes while waiting for daughter to dismiss from school, some mothers don't pass their kids to the teachers and still hang around the kids. It's hard for teachers to take over.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:29 pm

toddles wrote:
Mine too! She's very clingy to me... heard that it's best that someone other than the parents send them to school so the 'parting' will be less painful.......

Less painful for the parents? :wink:

As the Chinese saying goes, 长痛不如短痛. Just prep the child before hand, reassure the child that you will be back to pick him or her up, and make it a short farewell and walk away (hiding our own emotion). Else it will be far more painful for many more days than necessary.

Good Luck !

tankee
Site Admin

Postby ksme » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 pm

Though this was many years ago, I remember we prep the kid few days before the first day of school. Told him that it is a very normal thing for kids to go to school and there will be teachers and other kids whom he will befriend with. Told him parents are not allowed there and just like parents need to go to work, children go to school. On the actual day, he teared a bit and tried to cling on but we just told him we will pick him up when school ends and turn and left. He got over crying by 3rd or 4th day.

Act as normally as possible. Kids get our vibes easily. The more natural we act about this, they will also feel it is natural for them to leave their parents to go to school. Good luck!

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:02 pm

I have 3 kids. The 1st 2 attended other enrichment programs with me (eg. JG playgroup) on weekends before officially gg to preschool at pre-nursery. They didn't cry and enjoyed themselves.

But for my no. 3, we didn't have time to send her to those playgroup since we have 2 older ones to manage. She cried for around a week during first days of school. We left it to the teachers who re-assured her. She eventually outgrew it and stopped.

I did volunteer on 1st day of P1. There are kids who will still cry.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Recess Time