Inspirational messages to start off 2011

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve

Inspirational messages to start off 2011

Postby hmsg » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Came across some messages that I hope can inspire u to be in a positive mental mode for 2011! Happy New Year!

1. Fear of Failure

The African impala can jump to a height of over 10 feet and cover a distance greater than 30 feet. Yet these magnificent creatures can be kept in an enclosure in any zoo with a 3 foot wall. The animals will not jump if they can not see where their feet will fall.

Some humans are like this, not true risk takers. We need to break free from the toxic mental model and learn to take calculated risks!

2. Helplessness Can Be Learned

In cultures that depend on elephants for labor and transportation, it's common to tie untrained elephants by their ankles to a bamboo tree, using heavy-duty rope.

After three or four days of trying to free themselves, the elephants give up. From that time on they can be restrained by tying one leg to a small peg in the ground-something they surely could escape from with minimal effort. But at the least resistance, the elephants don't try to get loose; they have learned helplessness.

Always ask yourself how to continuous grow and pick up new skillsets, reduce the reliance on others.

3. Reaching Your Full Potential

Flea trainers have observed a predictable and strange habit of fleas while training them. Fleas are trained by putting them in a cardboard box with a top on it. The fleas will jump up and hit the top of the cardboard box over and over and over again. As you watch tem jump and hit the lid, something very interesting becomes obvious. The fleas continue to jump, but they are no longer jumping high enough to hit the top.

When you take off the lid, the fleas continue to jump, but they will not jump out of the box. They won't jump out because they can't jump out. Why? The reason is simple. They have conditioned themselves to jump just so high. After they have conditioned themselves to jump just so high, that's all they can do.

Many times, people do the same thing. They restrict themselves and never reach their full potential. Like fleas, they think they are doing all they are capable of doing. There is no "glass" ceiling!

4. The Courage to Keep Fighting

James J. Corbett (1866-1933) was one of America's great prize fighters. Known as "Gentleman Jim," he defeated John L Sullivan (1858-1918) for the heavyweight crown in 1892. Here is what he had to say about what it takes to be a champion:

"Fight one more round. When your feet are so tired that you have to shuffle back to the center of the ring, fight one more round. When your arms are so tired that you can hardly lift your hands to come on guard, fight one more round. When your nose is bleeding and your eyes are black and you are so tired that you wish your opponent would crack you one on the jaw and put you to sleep, fight one more round - remembering that the man who always fight one more round is never whipped."

Never give up, keep trying!

5. Making Decisions on Your Own

Abraham Lincoln liked to tell this story designed to encourage people to take action on their own initiative without waiting for orders.

Lincoln said there was a Colonel, who while organizing his regiment in Missouri, told his men that he would do all the swearing for the regiment. The men promised to obey, and for months there was no violation of the Colonel's order concerning profanity.

The regiment had a mule driver named John Todd, who, as roads were not always the best, had some difficulty in controlling his temper. One day, John was driving a mule team through a series of mud holes that were worse than usual when he suddenly filled the air with a volley of all-out profanity.

The Colonel heard about the transgression and he brought John to account for his violation of the profanity order.

"John," said the Colonel, "didn't you promise to let me do all the swearing for this regiment?"

"Yes, I did, sir," said the mule driver, "but the fact was that the swearing had to be done then or not at all, and you weren't there to do it."

Devil's Secret Weapon

There is an old-time fable that the devil once held a sale and offered all the tools of his trade to anyone who would pay their price.
They were spread out on the table, each one labeled - hatred, malice, envy, despair, sickness, sensuality - all the weapons that everyone knows so well

But off on one side, apart from the rest, lay a harmless looking wedge-shaped instrument marked "DISCOURAGEMENT." It was old and worn looking but it was priced far above all the rest.

When asked the reason why, the devil explained: "Because I can use this one so much more easily than the others. No one knows that it belongs to me, so with it I can open doors that are tight bolted against the others. Once I get inside, I can use any tool that suits me best."

7. Don't Let Failure Discourage You

Many of those who have risen from failure to real achievement have rejected the rejection of this world.

In 1905, the University of Bern turned down a Ph.D. dissertation as being irrelevant and fanciful. The young physics student who wrote the dissertation was Albert Einstein (1874-1955), who rejected the rejection.

In 1894, the rhetoric teacher at Harrow in England wrote on the 16-year-old's report card, "a conspicuous lack of success." The 16-year-old was Winston Churchill (1874-1965), who rejected the rejection.

8. Don't Let Failure Scare You

From time to time, life as a leader can look hopeless. After taking a hard look in the mirror at your leadership, you may be overwhelmed by the focus on what's needed. To help you, consider a man who lived through this:

•Failed in business in '31
•Defeated for the legislature in '32
•Again failed in business in '34
•Sweetheart died in '35
•Had a nervous breakdown in '38
•Defeated in election in '38
•Broken marriage engagement in '41
•Defeated for Congress in '43
•Defeated for Congress in '48
•Defeated for Senate in '55
•Defeated for Vice-President in '56
•Defeated for Senate in '58
•Elected President in '60

This man was Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

9. How to Combat Panic

Once upon a time a young donkey said, "All you have to do is remember to shake it off and step up."

"What does that mean?" asked the youngster. The grandfather replied, "Let me tell you a story . . .

Once when I was your age, I was out walking. I wasn't paying attention and fell deep into an old abandoned well. I started braying and braying. Finally an old farmer came by and saw me. I was scared to death. But then he left. I stayed in that well all night.

The next morning he came back with a whole group of people, and they looked down at me. Some of them even laughed. Then the old farmer said, 'The well's abandoned and that donkey isn't worth saving, so let's get to work.' I was going to be buried alive!

"After the first shovels of dirt came down on me, I realized something. Every time dirt landed on my back, I could shake it off and use it to step up a bit higher! They kept shoveling, and I kept shaking the dirt off and stepping up. This went on for some time.

"Shake it off and step up . . . shake it off and step up . . . I kept repeating to myself for encouragement. I fought the panic by shaking it off and stepping up. And it wasn't long before I stepped out of the well, exhausted but triumphant.

"So no matter how difficult the situation, no matter how bad things get, no matter how much dirt gets dumped on you, just remember-shake it off and step up. You'll be alright."

Happy 2011!!! :celebrate: :celebrate:

Postby BlurBee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks for the messages.

Happy New Year to u & ur family. :celebrate:

Postby 3Boys » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 pm

Nice! Fear of failure certainly figures high on my list of demons to slay. Here's to the future.

Happy 2011! :celebrate:

Postby plum-cake » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:08 pm

Thats wonderful!

Let 1/1/11 will be a new begening for all of us.

Return to Recess Time