What will you do IF

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What will you do IF

Postby ppnqq » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:02 am

you are in this scenario:

1. You are in your 40s and a housewife for many years;

2. You have some health problems and needs to go for regular hospital appointments and check-ups;

3. The husband, being the sole breadwinner's income is miserable and still need to support 3 kids who are still young and schooling for some;

4. You thought of getting a job to help lessen the burden financially BUT, lack the necessary skills (forgotten) and have no confident after being a housewife for so many years (used to work in an office environment);

5. Most likely may get fired even gotten a job because of the regular hospital check-ups and if the kids are sick or the child care center is closed and no one to help fetch or look after the kids at all (NONE, no parents, parents-in-laws or anyone who is able to help out) - how many employers or companies are willing to let you take so many leaves, paid or unpaid.

IF you are under such circumstances, WHAT will you do? Let's say now it's a big headache, financially, really got to work things out fast.

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ppnqq » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Lol, there are so many viewers but how come none replied?

Well, actually a friend of mine is currently in such a predicament and she doesn't know what to do and what or which is the best route that she should take or do now.

Would appreciate if the members here can provide some sensible advises and suggestions base on : IF you are in such situation too, what and how you will do that you think is the best way out.

Thank you very much and a very Happy New Year to all! :celebrate:

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: What will you do IF

Postby jedamum » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:25 pm

ppnqq wrote:you are in this scenario:

2. You have some health problems and needs to go for regular hospital appointments and check-ups;

3. The husband, being the sole breadwinner's income is miserable and still need to support 3 kids who are still young and schooling for some;

4. You thought of getting a job to help lessen the burden financially BUT, lack the necessary skills (forgotten) and have no confident after being a housewife for so many years (used to work in an office environment);

5. Most likely may get fired even gotten a job because of the regular hospital check-ups and if the kids are sick or the child care center is closed and no one to help fetch or look after the kids at all (NONE, no parents, parents-in-laws or anyone who is able to help out) - how many employers or companies are willing to let you take so many leaves, paid or unpaid.

IF you are under such circumstances, WHAT will you do? Let's say now it's a big headache, financially, really got to work things out fast.

You mentioned that sole breadwinner's income is miserable - do they qualify for financial aid?
There is a few things that your friend may have to take note:-
1) cut down on unnecessary expenses - ie forget about enrichment classes for children; focus on the necessities.
2) involve help from relatives and friends; do they have job 'lobangs'? it will be good if your friend can find something to work on from home eg babysitting, part time helper in residential flats or any jobs that pay based on per day basis (eg packer) which usually does not come with health or leave benefits.
3) regular appointments and checkups; cost wise, does your friend's husband have medisave that can be used? if your friend has problem footing the bill, you can approach the hospital's welfare department for assistance.

IF i am in the above circumstances, I will do as my above suggestions because I have seen my parents going through them.

All the best to your friend.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby laughingcat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:28 pm

what about part time work?

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cnimed » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:02 pm

I think her main barrier is her mindset. Point 4 and 5 are points that I would totally disregard if I'm really so troubled by financial issues. Point 4 is really a luxury when one needs money badly. Point 5 can be circumvented by looking for flexiwork that are home-based (e.g. data entry, coordination work etc) , or as a previous poster said, jobs that are paid by day (e.g. supermarket promoter). They may not be top-end jobs and sometimes unadvertised, but if one ask around, can still find and money is money. The important thing is to build up a good reputation when she does get a job and after some time, offers will keep coming in by word of mouth. She just have to bite the bullet somehow.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kiddo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 pm

1]Go to the "Talk to your MP " sessions , ask for help,
more people out there that will be able to give her some help either
financially for the kids or help to get a job, or give some lead
and therefore boost confidence , have to keep asking and
searching - need to create the necessary to help oneself
when you come to the crunch, don't look back don't fear,
your kids need you to support them !

2] Do permanent half day job, or watever job that pay u creating network in a way when kids in school and time doctor visit around it - need to peservere.

Good Luck and hope she manage to find a way out of the situation. :pray:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kwokwc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:13 am

Agree, mindset is very important. There are quite a number of flexi time job that can be found, such as coordination work, sales, mlm or housing agent.

I do agree that some mlm company do hard selling and many pp are not prone to it. But I personally have tried 2 and sometimes it really depends on your upline, how willing is the upline to teach and guide and not just push for sales. Of course, must also look for mlm or sales company that do not need to pay too much upfront. I do know some mlm must pay above hundred to start, but I know of one that just need less than $50. And I do see a lot of successful example, that is why until now I have not give up on this method to earning money.

For housing agent, I think now need to study first before can sell flats or rent flats so might need to fork out some money first too. I think promoters are also quite flexible in their timing. But most flexi work job are sales jobs.

The other way to earn is to give tuition. I think that is a good way to earn with so many parents being so kiasu. :D

kwokwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: What will you do IF

Postby leo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:43 pm

ppnqq wrote:you are in this scenario:

if she is needed to stay at home for the kids (eg, fetch them from school, cook for them), then I would suggest babysitting or do some simple home based BASC (just food and care, no tuition). Or help out at coffeeshops when the kids are in school or when the husband is at home (husband's mind set have to change too)

leo
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby kkjj2mum » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Do u know u can upgrade yourself in office skills? Sign up yourself with NTUC Learninghub for computer classes or other soft skill like com & relationship mgmt, learnign and personal development. Non working 40year & above, 90% subsidised. Since you work in office enviroment before, go for refresher (basic/advance) course like excel, word, powerpoint. @ $30++ per course 3 days each. If not wrong, completed 2 and passed the exams you get $200.

Some of my friends housewife registered with CDC/e2i (those seeking for job) were also send to attend courses free. You are paid $4/- per hour. i.e the class usually 8hrs per day so you get $32 a day. There is no limit, take as many courses as you deem suitable. This not only helps you to gain confidence to resume back to work, and best of all you get paid to learnt.

Above are only a rough ideas, for more details pls go to ntuc learningHub web to check it out. [/code]

kkjj2mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Han Seo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:14 pm

Does she have a skill e.g. cooking? If she does not but have the passion, she can go and learn and make a living out of it. Yes, the CDC might be able to help in recommending courses/jobs.

Another flexible job I can think of is house cleaning. At $10 to $12 an hour, it is better than working at fast food restaurants. If you are super efficient and do a good job, the offers will come in because of personal recommendations. It is very difficult to get good part time cleaners.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Recess Time