Ideas on play+study room for child

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Ideas on play+study room for child

Postby rainrain » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi ,i'm new here. Just want to get some ideas on setting up a play/ study room for child. We just got our keys , and one room will be allocated to my baby solely for play and study . As I intend to homeschool my child for the first 3 to 4 years. Any parents can share some ideas on the design part? For example which is the best storage for books and toys, and I'm thinking of getting a wall mounted white board. Is it useful?

rainrain
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:01 pm

IMO, study room and play room should not be mixed. By not mixing, a child will develop the sense that he or she must be serious when in study room.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby teh_oh » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:01 pm

tankee wrote:IMO, study room and play room should not be mixed. By not mixing, a child will develop the sense that he or she must be serious when in study room.

It is not possible not to incorporate study and play room for preschoolers because most learning incorporate play. As long as there is a fixed routine/cue as to when to do which activity as well as a defined area ie a workdesk for seatwork and floormat for playarea, both study room and play room can co-exist.

And of course, unless you happen to live in a 5 bedroom or more apartment, then you have luxury of space to separate both rooms.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby plum-cake » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:43 am

I think its possible. If you say first 3-4 yrs.

I create a corner for reading. where i bought the billy 1/2 size book case @ ikea. where my child can reach the books. quilt $8 from ikea and cover for 12 cant remember. easy to fold when not in use/ cheap / Washable / cosy.

I bought wooden desk n 2 chairs. my child when she was in n1, n2 she can sit only 15- 20 min. then we do puzzles. play snake n ladder. using the table. do flash cards (phonics,music,numers). I baught a cd player to play music n rhymes( portable ) she is still using that. loads of colour chalks and papers to scrible and write. and also used the white board from ikea...

used different colour stackable plastic boxes to store the toys. (with wheels) you can ask them to put the toys back when not in use. tidy o time. from 3 - now same ...

But it is NOT possible when you have 2 or more kids. unless you make all the kids study at the same time by creating a time table...

plum-cake
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby ppnqq » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:53 am

plum-cake wrote:I think its possible. If you say first 3-4 yrs.

I create a corner for reading. where i bought the billy 1/2 size book case @ ikea. where my child can reach the books. quilt $8 from ikea and cover for 12 cant remember. easy to fold when not in use/ cheap / Washable / cosy.

I bought wooden desk n 2 chairs. my child when she was in n1, n2 she can sit only 15- 20 min. then we do puzzles. play snake n ladder. using the table. do flash cards (phonics,music,numers). I baught a cd player to play music n rhymes( portable ) she is still using that. loads of colour chalks and papers to scrible and write. and also used the white board from ikea...

used different colour stackable plastic boxes to store the toys. (with wheels) you can ask them to put the toys back when not in use. tidy o time. from 3 - now same ...

But it is NOT possible when you have 2 or more kids. unless you make all the kids study at the same time by creating a time table...

:celebrate: Agree and you can get all these colourful stackable containers and shelves or other furnitures such as the table and chairs at Ikea! They also sell some decorative items or storages for you to hang on the wall.

Just make sure you divide and decorate the study area and sleeping area well so that your child is able to 'differentiate' where is the play/study/sleep corner. :D

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Fantastic topic and timely as well . . . :rubhands: . I'm thinking of renovating my place, particularly kiddies' room and their study area !

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Funz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Get child height/size table and chairs even cabinets. All decorations are to be at child height. Play and study can be the same room. Just make sure that you have proper containers/storage to put the toys away so that they do not pose too much of a distraction when you are teaching.

However, by renovating the room this way, you may need to redo the room when the child is older, maybe in P2 or 3.

Wall mounted white board is useful. You will be able to find a fair bit of stuff from Ikea.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby linden2000 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Also bought my stuff from Ikea. Including the easel stand which we use alternatively as flipchart or for art, eg drawing or painting.

linden2000
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby rainrain » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

I was browsing through another thread and one mummy actually share a wholesaler who supplies kindergartens desk and chair. A desk is about $30 to $50 according to that Mummy.below is the website. It's so exciting, I can get so much info from this forum.

http://www.tionghin.com.sg/school05.html

rainrain
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Recess Time