Oversea Educational Trip - To Go or Not to Go

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Oversea Educational Trip - To Go or Not to Go

Postby cluelessmom » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:24 pm

My ger is in P4 tis yr and I have jus received a reply slip for a Shanghai Educational trip organised by the school for the Mar holidays...... Jus wondering anyone out here who has sent their kids for their school's oversea program or can share their views on the subject..... I am on 2 minds abt it..... it will be the first time she will be away fr me for so long and at P4 leh...... Think I will be worried sick..... on the other hand i do feel it will be a good learning experience... how?????? :?:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby csc » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:14 am

Hi cluelessmom,

Both my children went for cultural immersion trips in China when they were in pr 4 too. As the school allowed parents to accompany the children, the granny went along with my son. In the case of my daughter, she went on her own. Subsequently, she went to Korea on a competition trip in Pr 5 on her own too.

Well, both had a whale of a time and they gained much from the exposure and the interaction not only with their own schoolmates ,but also with those they met in the local schools.

However, I must say a lot depends on the child. He or She must not be the "too homely" type. Otherwise, he or she may be homesick and yearns for home all the time .....and may not be able to enjoy the trip as much. One of my daughter's schoolmates belongs to this category and was crying over the phone almost every night.... heart-breaking for the mum

The teachers and some parents on the trip also make a great difference. My daughter was very well taken care of by the teachers and even a parent of a schoolmate...... but my son actually complained about the granny's presence.... lack of freedom , i think....

I was worried sick the first time my son left home.... couldn't sleep well for that week..... anyway, was much better when it was my daughter's turn....I made them call home everynight before they turned in...or message to keep in touch daily....

Those trips make me realise how precious my children are to me and... hopefully , I am to them..... :lol:

I'm looking at more immersion trips to come in the sec schools.... the children too.... :wink:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 am

CSC
The immersion trip is for everyone in that level? Or selected people?

And the accompany parents, do they have a limit?

How about the cost for each child?

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Caroline,

Cultural Immersion trips is usually opened to the top few classes first (as in the case of my children's school)... but if there are still places, it will be opened to other classes as well.... usually there is a quota...

Think there is no limit to the accompanying family members... there was one child whose parents and even a sibling went along... provided one can afford to pay for it lah .....(no subsidy and more expensive than trips outside... cos take SQ and better accomodation)

For the child concerned, can deduct about $100 to $200 from edusave (can't remember exact figure) and school subsidises about $100, the rest is from own parents' pockets -- estimated $1000 .

For competition trip, my daughter only needs to pay $200 ... the rest is paid for by school. :D

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:03 pm

Dear CSC,

Thks for ur info, I hav decided to sign for the consent form.....even tho I m still feeling uneasy cuz no one in the family will be accompanying her......she is still a baby in my eyes :oops:..... I told her she can go but she may not be chosen as only 40 students will be selected....
she replied: " Mommy why do u sound so elated when u said that!!!!" hahaha Yea dilemma solved :wink:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hmsg » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:19 pm

I am for immersion trip, esp to the rural areas. This will hopefully "open" their eyes and also experience their rich culture and learning to interact with kids from a different part of the world!

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:43 pm

hmsg wrote:I am for immersion trip, esp to the rural areas. This will hopefully "open" their eyes and also experience their rich culture and learning to interact with kids from a different part of the world!

erm...hygiene issues, water issues, mosquitoes issues, security issues....will you let your primary school kid go to rural areas without you? will you take the chance? (my sis got very ill and was hospitalised when we made our first trip to my mum's hometown in the 'rural areas').

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hmsg » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:03 am

jedamum wrote:
hmsg wrote:I am for immersion trip, esp to the rural areas. This will hopefully "open" their eyes and also experience their rich culture and learning to interact with kids from a different part of the world!

erm...hygiene issues, water issues, mosquitoes issues, security issues....will you let your primary school kid go to rural areas without you? will you take the chance? (my sis got very ill and was hospitalised when we made our first trip to my mum's hometown in the 'rural areas').

yes, still go! to be expected on such trips... no pain no gain! these trips will "open" their eyes big big!

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cluelessmom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:49 pm

hmsg, u r one real brave parent......wish i can be more like u... when it comes to my child or any one close to me for that matter, I tend to get paranoid and overreact sometimes ...... :cry:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby csc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:13 pm

hi cluelessmom, not to worry... Shanghai is not that rural.... it's a beautiful city. And since the trip is organised by the school, rest assured the travel agent will ensure proper and hygenic accommodation and eating places...

Sometimes, in a bid to protect our children (maybe overprotect), we miss giving our children the chance to stare at sheep and cows, to see the woods where squirrels hide their nuts in grass, to see streams full of stars , like skies at night and to turn at Beauty's glance, and watch her feet, how they dance. (Fairy, hope you don't mind I use some phrases from the poem "Leisure" which you quoted to bring across my point.) Kids need to venture beyond their comfort zones ... that's how they develop resilience , compassion, independence, character... which they will never learn from the books...

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time