Will You Quit Your Job Before Finding Another?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Will You Quit Your Job Before Finding Another?

Postby Fairy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Since this is a parenting website, I assume most, if not all of us are in our middle-age.

To those of you who are working (ie. not SAHM or SAHD), will you/have you ever quit your job before securing another?

Appreciate if you can share your experiences or perpective on this. Thanks.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MMM » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm

Have never done it as I believed in quitting only when I've secured another job.

However, I've seen friends who have done it before for various reasons. But in those case where they did it, it's a situation where the person cannot tolerate the current situation anymore and finally decided that it's no longer worthwhile to stay on as they need their sanity or work life balance. So that is really subjective.

Just to add on, I think alot also depends on one's financial situation,

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby curiousone » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:28 pm

My partner resigned after being unable to cope with the stress he faced at work, and sadly, it's been 2 months and companies have yet to respond to the CVs he's sent out.

If your other half isn't earning enough to support the family - especially the children or elderly parents, then of course the best choice would be to secure another job before resigning.

When times are rough, I guess we got to think of who we are working for: our loved ones.

Unless your boss is really unreasonable and intolerable, if not I think you should wait it out

curiousone
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mambobb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:31 pm

All comes down to financial. If able to cope with one income, should be ok.

mambobb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Fairy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:09 pm

curiousone wrote:..sadly, it's been 2 months and companies have yet to respond to the CVs he's sent out.

When times are rough, I guess we got to think of who we are working for: our loved ones.

Unless your boss is really unreasonable and intolerable, if not I think you should wait it out

Hi curiousone,

Many people are still holding on to their job for their year-end bonus.

But then, job vacancies are mainly for the young, those in their twenties.

Someone I know quited from her job in a financial institution because she could no longer take the nonsense from her boss and colleagues. She was very miserable at work. However, her company pays well and provides excellent benefits. She's in her forties and knew that she would need to take a drastic pay cut elsewhere. Besides, it's very difficult to get similar medical coverage and benefits package. Her financial contribution is important to her family.

When the reality of her situation hit her, she panic and asked her superior if she can retrieve her resignation letter. After keeping her in suspense for a while, they finally reluctantly agreed. Of course her situation is now worst than before. She has to put up with more humiliation and tauntings at work. :cry:

Another person I know, in her early forties just quited from a reasonably well paying job with slightly above average benefits without securing another one first, believing that with her skill and years of experience, she could get a better job. Of course, she has other reasons, though not as unbearable as the one in the financial institution, for calling it quit. Like your husband, she's still unemployed. There's not many suitable job openings available now and most are looking for younger candidates. She is beginning to regret leaving her previous job. :cry: Do you think she should eat humble pie and ask to take back her job? Personally, I won't.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Will You Quit Your Job Before Finding Another?

Postby ppnqq » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Fairy wrote:Since this is a parenting website, I assume most, if not all of us are in our middle-age.

To those of you who are working (ie. not SAHM or SAHD), will you/have you ever quit your job before securing another?

Appreciate if you can share your experiences or perpective on this. Thanks.

Unless the other spouse is able to support the family till you find another job (ie, your spouse do not have to depend on you to help support the family), else, it is not advisable to do so because the chance of being employed is lower than those who are single or younger. I would never quit before confirming a new job, and would definitely would not choose this timing when it is time to get bonuses and some others, if any. JMHO.

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Funz » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:26 pm

I have never left a job without securing another one. And unless, the situation is really very very bad, I don't think I am the kind who will do that.

DH was in such a position sometime back. He was very unhappy with what was happening at work and wanted to quit. Initially I told him to hold on until he can get another decent offer even though we are comfortable with my income alone. Reason for my suggestion was cos I know if he is not able to secure a job soon after he leave the company, more unhappiness will following along with insecurities, etc. But after some time, seeing that he was really very unhappy, I told him quit if it really is that bad. Lucky for us it was round about that time that he got a decent offer.

For your friend, she may have to look beyond her comfort zone into other lines or industry. And for the time being if finances are tight, she may have to take whatever comes along while keeping a lookout for something more suitable.

Personally, I don't think I will turn back, maybe to another department or position but not back to the same one that I left.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:30 pm

IMO, it looks very bad on the resume if anyone leave a job without securing another. It raise a lot of doubts in the recruiter's mind and unless no choice, they may not shortlist such applicants.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Fairy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:40 pm

tankee wrote:IMO, it looks very bad on the resume if anyone leave a job without securing another. It raise a lot of doubts in the recruiter's mind and unless no choice, they may not shortlist such applicants.

Is there any forumner in the HR line? If so, care to comment? I would like to hear from you. Many times, we can see recruitment ads, especially those from agencies, stating that priority will be given to those who can start work immediately. If the candidate is with a job, she has to give at least 1 month's notice, some as many as 3 months.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby KSP » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:27 pm

curiousone wrote:When times are rough, I guess we got to think of who we are working for: our loved ones.
:goodpost:

We are not working for the boss or company. But to provide enough for our loved ones.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time