Will You Quit Your Job Before Finding Another?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by DesertWind » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Fairy wrote: Even if they quit without a job, which is very often the case, they have no problem landing another better one due to the perceived exposure they had by potential employers, particularly by the companies they had audited before. Am I planning to quit without a job? .....sigh

My advise is do not quit without a job. Even if you are rich and have enough savings to last 6 mths to one year. Why? Because human pychology is very funny. When you have a job, they want you. When you are out of job and want to join them? They scared and want to siam. When you have a job, you do not need to panic. No job, you are at their mercy and will loose some "value". When you have a job, the head-hunters come running after you. No job, you run after the head-hunters - not good.

You can actively hunt for a job if you really want to move. Quit only after you got a concrete offer.

All the best!
:celebrate:

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Post by cherrygal » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 am

Sadly, what Desertwind said above is true. Hirers like to "fight" for talent. So if you don't have a job, they will think you are not so valuable and may not want to up your salary too much.

Quite disheartening for some of us SAHMs who may want to return to work in future... better to start own business then.

So try to find a job before you quit if you want a better offer. However, that's not to stop anyone from quitting without a job if your current job is really hell.

Mental health is more important than money. And never sacrifice the family for a job. Your kids and wife/hubby are the ones who will stick by you when you are old, not your company, colleagues or boss.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Herbie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:17 am

Ya... when u quit from yr job... you just pick up the handbag from yr drawer/pedestal and walked out of the company...

If need be just resign and look for another job... is not the end

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by Han Seo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:19 pm

I have quit without confirming a job many times. But then again, I'm not the breadwinner and do not have parents or children to support. I'm in my mid 40s now.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Fairy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:10 pm

cherrygal wrote:Sadly, what Desertwind said above is true. Hirers like to "fight" for talent. So if you don't have a job, they will think you are not so valuable and may not want to up your salary too much.

Agree.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Fairy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:13 pm

DesertWind wrote:...human pychology is very funny. When you have a job, they want you. When you are out of job and want to join them? They scared and want to siam. When you have a job, you do not need to panic. No job, you are at their mercy and will loose some "value". When you have a job, the head-hunters come running after you. No job, you run after the head-hunters - not good.

You can actively hunt for a job if you really want to move. Quit only after you got a concrete offer.

All the best!
:celebrate:

How true. But looking for a job is also a full time job. Not easy to search, apply and attend interviews while holding on to a job.

pokerking
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by pokerking » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:57 am

i wont quite without a job waiting for me!

fussyMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by fussyMummy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi,

I will get a job before I quit... :wink:

My past personal experince is quitted a job then look for a job.... after jobless for a week, I started to panic.... So any job offer I just took without any thought.. the end is not the job I wanted... so quit again.. :cry:

swebber
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by swebber » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:09 pm

I think that it is better if you secure a job first before quitting your current job especially if you really need to work for you family since that way you know you won't be left hanging waiting for another job to come by which may have a great effect on your financial status.Though sometimes, if you are already very sure of your plans, it is more ethical if you at least inform your superior if you feel that he/she is cool with it, at least they have an idea about the possible job vacancy and you can bid farewells properly.

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Yong HL » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:26 pm

For me, my consideration would be
1. family financial standing;
2. the quitting timing;
3. the reason of quitting.

I quitted without a job previously so as to bond more with my girl. I was more of weekend parent when i was working full time. So i quitted and was a 6-mths full time mum at home & with the intention to take a good rest and find a part time job as i went along. Thankfully my hubby was supportive and he agreed to contribute more to the family while i was not working. And i chose to leave the company in end October where i could rest till end of year and look out for jobs when company starts hiring in Jan again.