MM Lee: Why foreign kids outperform local kids

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

MM Lee: Why foreign kids outperform local kids

Postby curiousone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

http://www.edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/f ... _kids.html

Read this article on AsiaOne.
Do you really agree with what MM has to say?

My take on this: most top schools have the through-train programme now. and lots of foreign students are scholars who came to Singapore in middle school (age 14-15).
Maybe that's why it seems that half of the top 40 O-level students are foreigners?

Perhaps the A-level results would be a better gauge - when those students in IP programmes are included in the bell-curve, that once plagued us all.

curiousone
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: MM Lee: Why foreign kids outperform local kids

Postby 3Boys » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 pm

curiousone wrote:http://www.edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/features/hottopics/538248/Why_foreign_kids_outperform_local_kids.html

My take on this: most top schools have the through-train programme now. and lots of foreign students are scholars who came to Singapore in middle school (age 14-15).
Maybe that's why it seems that half of the top 40 O-level students are foreigners?

Perhaps the A-level results would be a better gauge - when those students in IP programmes are included in the bell-curve, that once plagued us all.

Yes, he has drawn an erroneous conclusion based on this set of results alone. However, it does not detract from the incredible academic performance from the foreign-born students.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: MM Lee: Why foreign kids outperform local kids

Postby Way2GO » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:13 pm

curiousone wrote:http://www.edvantage.com.sg/edvantage/features/hottopics/538248/Why_foreign_kids_outperform_local_kids.html

U must also take into account d context, setting n political agenda in what is being said.

curiousone wrote:My take on this: most top schools have the through-train programme now. and lots of foreign students are scholars who came to Singapore in middle school (age 14-15).

A level would be a better gauge as many of d academically brighter students chose d IP route n don't participate in O lvls.
These Chinese scholars who chose Singapore r probably d 2nd or 3rd tier top performers in China.
We r not getting d creme de la creme.
So in a global setting, Singapore is in for a hard fight.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiddo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Way2GO wrote:

A level would be a better gauge as many of d academically brighter students chose d IP route n don't participate in O lvls.
These Chinese scholars who chose Singapore r probably d 2nd or 3rd tier top performers in China.

:!: :!: Then we only competing with 2nd 3rd tier .....jia luct liao :cry:

then have to jia yu leh :nunchuk:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Trapwithin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 am

kiddo wrote:
Way2GO wrote:

:!: :!: Then we only competing with 2nd 3rd tier .....jia luct liao :cry:

then have to jia yu leh :nunchuk:

Actually, the early our kids discovered this the better. Real-life competition is no child play.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:03 pm

he and his gene thing. I still remembered once he said uni grads should marry uni grads. For me I think it's the hard work put in by the students. And of course read, read, read. Must start from young.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:06 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:he and his gene thing. I still remembered once he said uni grads should marry uni grads. For me I think it's the hard work put in by the students. And of course read, read, read. Must start from young.

Yes still remember that 'grads marry grads' mentality. So what if the grads marry, they may not produce what S'pore needs - BABIES.
He would be grateful if people give birth in the first place.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:10 pm

janet_lee88 wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:he and his gene thing. I still remembered once he said uni grads should marry uni grads. For me I think it's the hard work put in by the students. And of course read, read, read. Must start from young.

Yes still remember that 'grads marry grads' mentality. So what if the grads marry, they may not produce what S'pore needs - BABIES.

:rotflmao: so true so true

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:
janet_lee88 wrote:

:rotflmao: so true so true

I do agree it's frightening to have so little kids to replace the older generation, but it's hard enough getting people to marry and reproduce...he still wants this grads marry grads to produce whizz kids.
My 2 kids are enough to keep me busy (AND ENTERTAINED)...no thanks to having more. His subordinates are making parents stressed with the tough education standard. How to produce more ?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby girlmum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 pm

My 2 kids are enough to keep me busy (AND ENTERTAINED)...no thanks to having more. His subordinates are making parents stressed with the tough education standard. How to produce more ?[/quote]

Fully agree with u. *2 arms up* With the education system & high living standard....produce more :!: ??? Edusave also not enough!!!

girlmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time