Will you work in SME or MNC?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Will you work in SME or MNC?

Postby PlayfulFairy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:59 am

Would you be a small fry in a big, established company? Or will you be a medium fry in a medium, newer local company?

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Will you work in SME or MNC?

Postby peterch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 am

PlayfulFairy wrote:Would you be a small fry in a big, established company? Or will you be a medium fry in a medium, newer local company?

Will work for the best package offer :D

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby PlayfulFairy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:13 am

Quite troubled at this point of time... Dh is currently working in a MNC, middle management level. He says his company retrenches quite often, and being in finance, his skills are transferable.. His ex boss( fr the MNC) is currently in a SME, asked him to go for an interview in the SME. He went and said even if the SME pays him less, he doesn't mind going. Cos he feels there is no promotion prospects for him anymore in the MNC and he isn't learning anything there....

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:47 am

I thought advancement opportunity would be more limited in SME given the relatively smaller company & lesser positions? :?

Perhaps the motivation is working for his ex-boss, whom might have "watched" after him.

Since his skills are "marketable", why limit his own options to just this SME? :?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby PlayfulFairy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:13 am

I am baffled at his line of thought.. He says his current position in MNC is highly dispensable, can be laid off anytime, whereas the SME, he has an important role to play..

If I stop him from going to SME, he continues to be unhappy in MNC, he will blame me for his unhappiness.. If I let him go to SME( intensive travel cos of aggressive expansion) and he is unhappy, his father will blame me for not putting my foot down abt him changing job..

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby watmekiasu » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:23 am

PlayfulFairy wrote:Quite troubled at this point of time... Dh is currently working in a MNC, middle management level. He says his company retrenches quite often, and being in finance, his skills are transferable.. His ex boss( fr the MNC) is currently in a SME, asked him to go for an interview in the SME. He went and said even if the SME pays him less, he doesn't mind going. Cos he feels there is no promotion prospects for him anymore in the MNC and he isn't learning anything there....

I've a close relative in the same position. Middle management in IT MNC. The MNC is perpetually reorganising. Staffs feel insecure and not motivated as they do not know if their department will still be in existence 6 months down the line.

watmekiasu
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ppnqq » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:26 am

Hi PlayfulFairy, why not you let him choose himself? You do not request or ask him to stay on his current co. What you can do is to just offer some suggestions. Let him know the differences and the likely consequences if he chooses either, then, you just let him consider and decide himself. So any decision would be HIS OWN and has got nothing to do with you so no one is able to blame you.

But how was his ex-boss who is currently in the SME? Your husband should know him well. If he is one who appreciates good staff and is of good character (if you know what I meant), I may want to choose to go over to the SME too.

Nope, not necessarily all SMEs will have no advancement. IMO, SMEs have even more opportunity for advancement where as in an MNC, there is not much flexibility and advancement is quite limited compared to SMEs, really... bottleneck... get what I mean? Anyway, it's all up to your husband.

You may suggest to him to find out more from the ex-boss about the likely advancement and prospect that he can expect from that company first before deciding.

JMHO.

Good luck.

ppnqq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:07 am

ppnqq wrote:....... IMO, SMEs have even more opportunity for advancement where as in an MNC, there is not much flexibility and advancement is quite limited compared to SMEs, really... bottleneck... get what I mean? ......

No. I don't get what you mean. Could you kindly elaborate? :D

tankee
Site Admin

Postby 3Boys » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 am

PlayfulFairy wrote:I am baffled at his line of thought.. He says his current position in MNC is highly dispensable, can be laid off anytime, whereas the SME, he has an important role to play..

If I stop him from going to SME, he continues to be unhappy in MNC, he will blame me for his unhappiness.. If I let him go to SME( intensive travel cos of aggressive expansion) and he is unhappy, his father will blame me for not putting my foot down abt him changing job..

Are you more concerned about his career prospects, or ramifications for you should things so wrong? At the end of the day, you can provide input, but its not your decision to make. (and yes, you can show your FIL this post)

Personally, I think there are pros and cons to each type of job. At the end of the day, its a journey, and getting new perspectives and skills is seldom a bad thing.

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PlayfulFairy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am

He asks me to choose which path he should go??
1) work in MNC , but I have to work full time
2) work in SME, I work part time..
But I know he wants to go to SME...

I prefer to work part time so tt I can tend to my brood...
Well from what he says, his ex boss is an 'ah beng' who speed drives, drinks till he pukes n hates his wife...

I have never worked in the corporate world before, so perhaps I am more conservative abt the issue of job hopping.. He is keeping this fr his dad so as not to be scolded...

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time