Wearing watches

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Wearing watches

Postby nightsky87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:21 am

Dear all, what are your opinions on your children wearing watches? Should it be analog/digital? Should you buy them watches with character designs like Disney, Hello Kitty, etc or more serious watches, like Swatch?

What about the budget when buying them?

I'm thinking of getting one (analog) for my P3er as a birthday present, but knowing her she will likely eschew the analog one in favor of a digital one :stupid:

nightsky87
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:21 am

I would seek the child's opinion on this rather than to leave it as a surprise element. After all, no point getting a watch if the child herself does not like it, right?

Postby Andaiz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:44 am

I bought the gals analogue ones soon after they learn how to read time.

:lol: Get them to practise as well mah :wink:

Our family friend got her boys the digital ones because she finds them easier to read. So both are good...so long as the child likes the design/colour etc and would use it :pray: else white elephant at home also no use.

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby LKVM » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:50 am

I would prefer to give digital in Primary.. once they are little bigger they can chose analog :P

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby raynreg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:02 am

I've got analogue ones for my girl. Get her to learn how to read time while she's learning in school. Digital ones just read out the numbers on the watch up to the precise minute or even seconds.

raynreg
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby tankee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:05 am

we bought DS an analog one that he chose himself just before starts of P1. It has an aeroplane on the second hand and lights up like a digital watch for reading time in the dark. And most importantly, water-resistance.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:14 pm

I remember my school was very strict about our watches in Primary school. It had to be plain, black and analog.

I think I will stick to that for watches to be worn to school.
Fancy watches cause distractions (I learnt this from experience when my boy wore his Ben 10 watch to enrichment - end up, he was pinned down by 5 other boys because they want to play with his watch).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:45 pm

I would prefer analogue watch which can let the child learn to read time. But I still bought a digital watch for my dd bcos she prefers that.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jessnom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 pm

raynreg wrote:I've got analogue ones for my girl. Get her to learn how to read time while she's learning in school. Digital ones just read out the numbers on the watch up to the precise minute or even seconds.

I've heard that analogue watches teaches kids that time "moves" instead of just digital numbers which just tells the time. I'm for analogue watches, but my son is still wearing his casio digital watch. Will have to upgrade him soon.

jessnom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Wearing watches

Postby jessnom » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:56 pm

nightsky87 wrote:Dear all, what are your opinions on your children wearing watches? Should it be analog/digital? Should you buy them watches with character designs like Disney, Hello Kitty, etc or more serious watches, like Swatch?

What about the budget when buying them?

I'm thinking of getting one (analog) for my P3er as a birthday present, but knowing her she will likely eschew the analog one in favor of a digital one :stupid:

Swatch has a collection for children, where beside the numbers, 1,2,3...etc, 5,10,15,20 etc is reflected too. I think they cost about $55.

jessnom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time