Advice for interfloor leak between units...

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Advice for interfloor leak between units...

Postby hmsg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:23 pm

My place dry yard ceiling is leaking, seems to be coming from the unit above. As my place is more than 10 years old, there is no more warranty.

How do I get it repaired? I understand the unit on top and mine will need to be repaired.

Since it is coming from the unit above, is it true that they should bear the cost?

For HDB, it states that for such interfloor leaks between units, the repair bill will be split...

Any advice?

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Advice for interfloor leak between units...

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

hmsg wrote:My place dry yard ceiling is leaking, seems to be coming from the unit above. As my place is more than 10 years old, there is no more warranty.

How do I get it repaired? I understand the unit on top and mine will need to be repaired.

Since it is coming from the unit above, is it true that they should bear the cost?

For HDB, it states that for such interfloor leaks between units, the repair bill will be split...

Any advice?

Yes, it is true for toilets, 50-50 split between upstairs and downstairs neighbours, but not sure if that applies to dry yard too. I suppose it does. :?

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:55 pm

Are you staying in HDB? If yes, it is 50-50. However, if you feel that it's your neighbour's fault (they installed underground pipes which are not allowed), then approach MP for help to investigate.

That was what happened to my parent's place. The neighbour above them installed concealed pipes in the floor and caused the kitchen & dining room ceiling to drop off in large chunks.

The neighbours paid for all the repairs. And the staff helping the MP to settle this issue was good. He helped to maintain good neighbourly ties while solving the problem.

And of course, my parents were not unreasonable. They paid to repair the ceiling inside their house, but the neighbours had to pay for their own reno work to remove the concealed piping and redo their entire flooring.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hmsg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 pm

I am staying in a condo.. dun think HDB law applies...

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:58 pm

hmsg wrote:I am staying in a condo.. dun think HDB law applies...

In this case have to speak to your condo management.
Most likely is 50-50 unless it is building/structural fault.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pupilview » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:25 pm

hmsg wrote:I am staying in a condo.. dun think HDB law applies...

Even in condo - it is 50-50. For structural problems- the managing agent should take care.

pupilview
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby laughingcat » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:06 am

For HDB, you need to talk to HDB officer. They will mitigate between the neighbour and yourself. Also HDB will arrange and liaise with the contractor to do it and there is a warranty between the HDB and the contractor.

Mine was like that.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:15 pm

For private condo, it's 100% the responsibility of the above unit if that's where the fault lies. In fact, the onus is on the above unit to prove otherwise.

Please speak with your MCST, and they should assist you directly.

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Advice for interfloor leak between units...

Postby titank » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:20 pm

hmsg wrote:My place dry yard ceiling is leaking, seems to be coming from the unit above. As my place is more than 10 years old, there is no more warranty.

Any advice?

Could in be the upstair unit in which they did not put sufficient water proofing membrane which resulted in the leak? If yes, maybe you can claim from them!

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hmsg » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:12 pm

anybody has a good contractor to recommend?

hmsg
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time