What did you child buy from the bookshop today?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

What did you child buy from the bookshop today?

Postby learningtobekiasu » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:15 am

its so annoying that SJIJ's bookshop sells 'merchandised' stationery (like ben 10 pencils e.g) and bakugans and dice (what for? exams? hahaha)

anyway, friday my boy spent ALL his pocket money on these:

1. red pen (following which he got scolding from teacher for writing in his book with it
2. dice!
3. ben 10 mechanical pencil refill - he wanted the box, so he bought and threw out the refill!!!!
4. bakugan figurine

aaaaaaaaaargh!

anyone else want to share?

:lol:

learningtobekiasu
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mami_Jazz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:25 pm

my son just told me that he want to buy a magnet that costs $1 from the sch bookshop :?

Mami_Jazz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ryankwek » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Same here. My son brought a power ranger color book. The next day ben10 coloring book, how?... :?

ryankwek
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

School shopping

Postby egorg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:36 am

My daughter started P1 this year.

First she tried some cookies and water melon slice.
Yesterday she did buy 1 purple pencil 1$ and 3 paper flower @ 1$ for herself, her friend and baby sister.

I reckon her fancy will wane off soon.

egorg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby pehjingying » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:08 am

My girl in her P4 now, never did such thing as I told her in Day 1 of her P1 year that the pocket money for her to spend in 5 days. If she spent all in day 1, she will have no more money for the rest of days.

So far so good !

pehjingying
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:27 am

We give them a daily allowance that they must manage it themselves. Ideally they should have savings each day.

When my girl started P1, we see her coming back with fanciful mechanical pencils,etc... Now that she is in P2, we see less of that.

Meanwhile for my son who just started P1, so far I saw the compact hole puncher that he bought from school.

But I think what works in our case is the use of mighty saver account. For every $ saved, they get a sticker. They now enjoy bringing their savings to the bank and seeing their bank account grow. It's like a "competition" between them on who saves more. So this sort of "stop" them from making unnecessary purchases from the bookshop/ snack store.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:03 am

My DD so far has not ventured into the sch bkshop. My DH reckons it could be because she'd rather spend recess time eating and chatting with her friends. Also, the bkshop is some distance away from the canteen. (I have seen some schs where the bkshop is just outside the canteen.)

We've also told her that she should save her pocket money to buy stuff that she wants when we go on shopping trips together. So everyday, her leftover pocket money goes into a coin bank we bought for her.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:12 am

schellen wrote:My DD so far has not ventured into the sch bkshop. My DH reckons it could be because she'd rather spend recess time eating and chatting with her friends.

I agree...cos they don't get to chat during class time. Anyway, I heard from my boy that sometimes the class get dismissed 10-15min late cos they misbehave. maybe they don't have time to eat too....

schellen wrote:Also, the bkshop is some distance away from the canteen. (I have seen some schs where the bkshop is just outside the canteen.)

:| the bookshop is just next to the drink store....

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:38 pm

jedamum wrote: :| the bookshop is just next to the drink store....

Is it?? Oh no. That means I'm super blur.

Anyway, she didn't mention being dismissed late. I hope she has enough to eat cos she needs a lot. And isn't it part of their job to ensure class behaves...so that they can get more recess time? :wink:

For the sch bkshop stuff that usually attracts little girls, I think for my DD, erasers --> too many at home already, even the cute cute nice-smelling ones; mechanical pencil --> she doesn't like them and she has tonnes of pencils at home, mostly free gifts; stickers --> lots at home that she hardly cares about now. Sigh, I think she is too spoiled by all our elders already, to the point that sch bkshop stuff may not interest her anymore. :roll:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby juz_me » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:56 pm

Bought modelling clay/plasterine - $0.50.

Kena scolding from me - though using his money to buy but seek approval first....don't want him to buy "rubbish"...

juz_me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time