How can the school release the pupils in an orderly manner?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

How can the school release the pupils in an orderly manner?

Postby bezzlay » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:32 pm

I would like to request for ideas, suggestions or advice on how a school should release its pupils in an orderly manner while parents are waiting outside the school.

The problem with my DS's school is that it is located along a busy road and parents are not allowed to stay inside the school, they have to wait outside a small gate. So there will be a situation where parents crowded outside the school and pupils stuck in the narrow walkway that leads to the gate. And on CNY eve, I witnessed anxious parents cursed and swear at the security guards.

I am trying to gather some good suggestions from parents here and propose it to the school to improve the situation.

bezzlay
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby atrecord » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:03 pm

This might perhaps be MOE directive?? cos my DD's school also the same...

I personally almost wanted to complain when they had some event last year when all 6 levels were dismissed together. It doesn't help that just 7 m from the small gate was the traffic light to allow students/parents to cross the road. Just imagine when the cars are moving (pedestrians cannot cross), all the students who need to cross, would be waiting at the little space between the traffic light and the gate. Parents and maids waiting for the students had already taken up substantial portion of this space, so it was very crowded very quickly. Then when more classes were dismissed, the students were all so eager to squeeze their way out...

Was quite worried there would be stampede...

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Tao Nan opened its canteen to waiting parents \ maids \ grandparents etc

students are led by teachers to the canteen class by class, supposedly to designated class tables but there are still some "oggy" as parents would crowd near the entry point of the canteen. At least it is contained within the canteen.

there are other parents who chose wait at other gates. These are the minority, so no big bunching effect there.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:15 pm

what is so difficult to stagger the dismissal time by the level, say every level 5 minutes difference, meanwhile get some admin work done. it is all a matter of scheduling and getting effective work done while being dismissed a couple of minutes later

some school admin / principals are not thinking
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

not the parents' fault

Postby bwpj2000 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Sometimes it is not the parents' or the principals' or the admin staff's fault, it is the teachers' or the students' fault. Some teachers will dismiss early, some teachers will dismiss late. And even if the teachers adhere to a 'staggering' schedule, students will still push and shove, creating a massive jam. And besides, if there are 6 levels being dismissed at once, staggering even by just 3 minutes will create 15 to 18 minute delay, which is NOT acceptable to most parents/teachers/admin staff/principals and of course also the students.
Besides, what 'admin work' is there to be done? Most schools' practice is to collect homework/circulars/settle admin stuff in the FIRST 5 minutes of the day, not the LAST 5 minutes of the day. This is because it gives the teachers' time to mark or collate the submissions. Hope u understand, and bear in mind this is just my own opinion. :D

bwpj2000
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Recess Time