Working While on Holiday

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Do you or your FTW spouse work while on holiday?

yes, stressed =.="
69%
no, of course not
31%

Total votes : 13

Working While on Holiday

Postby tankee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Holiday is meant to rest, to bond, to ..... the last thing on the last would be "work"

yet increasingly, our bosses and clients expect us to work while on holiday. :cry:

no thanks to the mobile communication & mobile computing.

do you or your full time working spouse, work while on holiday?

do check the thread below for reverse roles

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... hp?t=19036

tankee
Site Admin

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 am

on my recent family vacations, we have 3 smartphones and two lap tops on the road

once while driving on the highway in Europe, the mobile rang and it was from the office. I answered it got a EUR 200 fine for handphone driving !!
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:on my recent family vacations, we have 3 smartphones and two lap tops on the road

once while driving on the highway in Europe, the mobile rang and it was from the office. I answered it got a EUR 200 fine for handphone driving !!

:| Can claim?

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Working While on Holiday

Postby BlurBee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 am

tankee wrote:Holiday is meant to rest, to bond, to ..... the last thing on the last would be "work"

yet increasingly, our bosses and clients expect us to work while on holiday. :cry:

no thanks to the mobile communication & mobile computing.

I'm required to work from home when there is urgent issue during weekends, leave & holidays. :(

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BigDevil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 am

Being in the IT line, there's really not much off time...especially when the company I work for has a retail arm which opens for business 7 days a week.

I was once out with the family on a weekend, and got a call to return to office for some urgent matter.
Since I was near office at that time, I ended up bringing the whole family there! Luckily got the matter resolved within half an hour.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby MMM » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:41 am

My hubby is the type that don't look at emails once he is home. So he cannot subscribe to work from home thinking.

I on the other hand is obsessed with emails. So I would read emails all the time even on hols. I am not expected to work but should there be any dateline,etc... I am open to making sure we accomplish that even if I am on hols. In addition, I am a individual contributor, no one stands in for me while I am away.

But back in our headoffice, they are cultivating a family friendly work culture. Employees are encouraged to work from home,etc... I see that in Singapore which I am currently enrolled in the program as well.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:50 am

DH is workaholic. So without a doubt he works. Sometimes we had to postpone some outings bu hours thanks to him :x

As for me if it is long vacation, i check in once every 3 days atleast just to make sure nothing urgent/imp is stuck bcos of me.

Sometimes i wonder if long vacations are worth it. First i have to do most of my stuff before hand, delegate the some to someone capable, and then face the onsalught after i return :( too stressful.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:04 am

I think it's all depend on the position one is in the company and the job committment.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:09 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:on my recent family vacations, we have 3 smartphones and two lap tops on the road

Yes, nowadays it is not uncommon to see ppl with 2 smartphones when travelling. I guess 1 is for work and the other for family/friends. Another observation is 1 of the smartphones is unsually an iphone and the other can be BB, HTC or Samsung.

Pls note I'm not advertising for any brand.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Thargor » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 am

My job covers APAC....so holiday for Singapore doesn't mean I do not need to work. This is unfortunately the reality....

Thargor
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Recess Time