your thoughts on education in singapore

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

your thoughts on education in singapore

Postby debbk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:57 pm

I am a fourth-year student at Nanyang Technological University's Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information. My group and I are currently working on our final-year project, an illustrated feature package on class issues in Singapore. We intend on getting published in The Straits Times Saturday Special sometime in the middle of this year.

I am hoping that some of you will be willing to share what you’ve had to do to get your child into your choice of school. Has that involved moving house, volunteering at the school, queuing up really early in advance? Also, what extra-curricular activities does your child have in a week, and what benefits you think this has brought about.

Do you think that parents and children have to do more to ensure a child’s success these days? Does it all start from the choice of primary school, or does it start earlier like in kindergarten or nursery? If you would like to share more on the education system in singapore, feel free to send me an email at kwon0006@e.ntu.edu.sg. It would be much appreciated if you could leave your full name, age, occupation and contact number. Thank you.

debbk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tankee » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:13 pm

hi

I have deleted your other similar posts and splitted this one into a dedicated thread.

pls do not spam.

good luck on your project.

:D
Last edited by tankee on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:15 pm

tankee
Site Admin

Postby debbk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 pm

hi,

thanks for setting up this board, i wasn't sure how to go about getting the message out.
i really need people to share their experiences and thoughts on this issue!

debbk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:39 pm

You may need a paradigm shift on your project idea

In this ksp website, courtesy of the website founders, you have access to tons of information shared by genuine parents.

you could first read through the info, may be share the load and divide it among your team members, and compile the info into relevant sections by topics and and then start to contact members through the 'pm' if you want to verify it and take it offline from there if the members are willing to be identified and quoted and interviewed as part of your citation for the project.

you may wish to know that the founders of this website has been interviewed by TNP sometime ago together with some members, though it was from a different angle from your intended project

normally users of such website would prefer to remain unknown and passive, hence unlikely to voluntarily contact you, unless you are interested in their sharing and you initiate contact with them

your project is good but may have to re-direct your approach to it

you may also need to credit this website for the info you lift from here

all the best !
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:33 am

debbk wrote:hi,

thanks for setting up this board, i wasn't sure how to go about getting the message out.
i really need people to share their experiences and thoughts on this issue!

You can read the threads posted by tankee regarding your project...these are posted by parents who have personally gone through the stress of moving within 1km, done parent volunteer etc etc...these posts are personal experiences and very real...but I doubt you can get users to contact you directly as we would prefer to remain passive.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby swebber » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:03 pm

Personally i believe that parent's nowadays should be able to motivate their children early on as there are already a lot of factors that may distract children nowadays, probably early on in their kindergarten years at least parents should be able to gear their children toward their hobbies or strengths that they may develop them well since these talents maybe handy in their future chosen career though some parents may come off as dictating or pushy which i believe in a bad way of handling children, right motivation and full support is the key.

swebber
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Recess Time