Attitude and Behavior

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Attitude and Behavior

Postby lisadrome » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:31 pm

"Is it the survival of the fittest?” only where the strong will only survive?

There is a well-established connection in the psychological literature between individuals attitudes and behaviors and the outcome of behavior, however it is not all that defined.

Just as you and I are changing in many ways, attitude and behavior are ever-changing Right?

What are your views?

lisadrome
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby HappyFaye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 pm

fundamentally, the 'never-say die' and the 'can-do' positive attitudes always leads to a positive outcome of one's life! These have never changed!

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 pm

one important differentiator is how fast one pick oneself up after being knocked down and learning from the experience.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Trapwithin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:59 am

tankee wrote:one important differentiator is how fast one pick oneself up after being knocked down and learning from the experience.

If there is one thing that I need to teach my kid .. it would be this. :celebrate:

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PasirRisPapa » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:29 pm

tankee wrote:one important differentiator is how fast one pick oneself up after being knocked down and learning from the experience.
An excellent lesson, but a rare one for most Singaporean kids. They are so thickly padded all over even before they fall. We parents know it.

PasirRisPapa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Besides those mentioned, I feel that being non-calculative is a important attitude in life.

Eg. If someone is calculative, he will feel cheated by people around him/boss/ company most of the time as he expects to be given a reward/ be treated in certain manner,etc... He will hence display a negative attitude towards things around him should things not go in his way and become bitter. This in turn will affect of people's impression of this person.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Angelight » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:25 pm

I think a person's attitude will determine his/her behavior towards life and people, and hence the consequences of his behavior - good or bad.

Which is why I try to make this saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" the motto in my life. In other words, I try to make the best out of whatever life throws me, especially the negative or bad experiences.

It's not easy because it's human nature to wallow in self-pity. And it takes a lot more courage to pick up your pieces and move on, than to stay in the rut of self-pity and complacency.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PAPASAN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Learning basic mannerism , learning how to show respect to elders and peers ......... something that is missing in our young of today .....

result of lax parenting , public education or adopting the western culture of freedom ............... ?

:?

PAPASAN
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby PasirRisPapa » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:35 pm

PAPASAN wrote:Learning basic mannerism , learning how to show respect to elders and peers ......... something that is missing in our young of today .....

such traits are missing in many parents, not just the young.

PasirRisPapa
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ANobleNerd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 pm

You've got the A and the B, but you forgot the C! :wink:

Attitude is the way you approach a situation. Positive attitude is energy generating, while negative attitude is usually energy draining. But both requires energy to initiate - so why begin with a negative?

Attitude cannot be seen, but it can affect Behaviour, which is what we can see.

A person with a positive Attitude would Behave in a positive manner, likewise for a person with a negative Attitude, their Behaviour is corresponding.

The 'C' I mentioned is Character. This is the values-essence of a person, and is not likely to change once it is set. Attitude is environment-dependant, and can change quickly, but Character is the person's identity, and is not as easy to discern as it is more deeply rooted in the person. It is the Character of a person that impress us, and it is in the Character of a person that virtues and values reside.

I read somewhere that Character is built by education, but Attitude is built by experience.

So I aim to educate my kids on what is right and wrong, what are acceptable Behaviours, what kinds of Attitudes are acceptable and hope that in doing so, it will lead them into building good Character that will stand them in good stead for life.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time