Primary 6 student tries to jump off school building

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Primary 6 student tries to jump off school building

Postby PSLEmom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 am

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
A local primary school student shocked his classmates when he broke down in class and threatened to jump off the building.

The 12-year-old dashed out of the classroom and dangled half his body out the fifth-floor corridor railing before a teacher managed to pull him in.

The incident occurred last Wednesday afternoon at a primary school in Tampines.

When interview, the teacher who declined to be named, said the primary six student suddenly “lost control” in class and began crying and screaming, scaring his classmate and teacher.

He then rushed out of the classroom and leaned over the railings. A physical education teacher who was nearby managed to catch hold of his legs and pulled him back in time.

Students in adjacent classes were alarmed by the commotion and stepped out of their classrooms to see what was happening.

After he was pulled to safety, the boy received counselling for more than an hour that same afternoon. But he seemed restless and requested for breaks to get food and water from the canteen, the teacher told local Chinese paper, Wanbao.

“He seemed to have calmed down by then, and was seen laughing with his classmates and teacher.” :?

According to sources, it was reported that the boy had an outgoing character and was mischievous. Parents of students at the school who were interviewed say they had heard of the incident from their children. :roll:

“The child may not really intend to commit suicide, but was just being naughty”, said one parent. :|

Students these days are more influenced by the media, according to a counsellor interviewed by the same paper. “Whereas before, children were more ‘innocent’, the kids these days are more exposed to negative influences from the media”, he said.

They may copy what they see from TV or the Internet, without fully realising the consequence of their actions. “It could also be that the child is under tremendous pressure due to the Primary School Leaving Examination (PLSE), or he could be facing family problems that led to his outburst.” :?:

He said it is important that schools make it easier for students to consult their teachers or counsellors at school when they have a problem.

Source : http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/02/22 ... -building/

PSLEmom
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:00 pm

so real reason not known? :?

so many suspeculation :lol:

tankee
Site Admin

Postby sall » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 pm

If the boy is very serious about his work, then maybe he really had a breakdown. If he's outgoing and mischievous, then it could be another of his pranks. Maybe he's just bored and trying to get some attention.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Yah read the comments of one parent that the child is just being mischevious. :|

My initial impression when I heard it from hubby was... is it due to school stress. Shall we cancel all the enrichment classes? I rather they be normal than go crazy. :?

Anyone knows what school is the child in?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby pinky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 pm

my son's friend committed suicide when he was in P5 - he left a note for his parents but details not released. Speculations were pointing at school work pressure though..

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Perhaps he was in a top school in Tampines? Students get pushed very hard by their teachers and parents in P6. Must remind ourselves to be nicer parents when our kids reach that stage. They will see no joy in life if the home is also a pressure cooker.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Happy Mama » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 pm

pinky wrote:my son's friend committed suicide when he was in P5 - he left a note for his parents but details not released. Speculations were pointing at school work pressure though..

OMG! Poor boy!

Kids these days are really under a lot of stress and school homework has been piling on them too, until they are totally left with not much time for leisure.

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:15 pm

I think alot of us are guilty of it. Pushing the kids. Sometimes when things like that happen and we put things into perspective, we start to view performance in a different manner. Is it worth it?

I personally think it's difficult to strike a balance. Eg. if we don't push the kids, they might not move. But if we push them to hard, they might fall off the cliff..... Guess, as parents we just have to constantly remind ourselves and keep a lookout for their behaviour to tune our expectations.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby peapot » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Whether the boy was doing it out of mischief or out of school work pressure, both ways are equally sad and depressing.

peapot
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby YingYing » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:10 pm

I guess it's a combination of school pressure & "personality of the generation Z" ; complete with present-day parenting style ...

I have no doubt that today's school load is definitely more demanding than the "yester-years" ... However, I also have no doubt that today's children are quite a bunch of "softies" ... In those days when i was growing up, my mother used to cane us over "less than desirable results" and you don't see me nor my siblings trying to jump off buildings! We also had our fair share of swimming class, music class & tuition... but yes, i admit the stress level is different from what kids of today face.

Kids of today have been so drilled to excel academically, that parents most of the time "forgot" to remind them about moral values (don't get me wrong, i'm sure all parents teach their children values; but maybe they forget to remind them). I've seen & heard so many times that parents reward kids with PSP, iPod, $500 cash if the child does well... Gone were the days when parents ingrained in their children that "to do well academically is only for your own good".

If you are guided by moral values, you know that jumping off a building is an irresponsible act. If you are guided by moral values, you will know that studying hard is for your own good & is your own responsibility; not so that you can get that PSP or iPod from Daddy or Mummy.

Don't get me wrong. I'm fine with reward-system provided it is applied correctly & explained properly to the children how a reward works. I have seen cases where children "fell short of the deal" but yet parents still get them the reward (eg a certain friend's child is supposed to get a certain percentage of all subjects to get an iPod but when the child didn't get the grades, he still gets his iPod!) This , to me, is a flawed reward-system which translates to a flawed parenting style.

I guess most parents these days are caught up with material pursuits themselves that they hardly have time for the children. So, they try to make up for it with material possessions. And over time, they feel it is "time" for their children to "work for their material pursuits"...so they get the children to earn (eg the iPod) by way of excellent grades. And slowly but surely, they become indulgent in their children without realising...

I mean have you ever heard of a child getting rewarded these days because he/she helped Mummy with the chores? (eg sweeping the floor, laundry etc). Perhaps there is but very rare.

I once had an ex-colleague who proudly proclaimed that her daughter has 3 different birthday parties (to cater to different crowd & had 3 different birthday cakes to cut over a 3-day period!!!). This, to me, is indulgent! But then again, she is the only child hence I can understand the fuss over her birthday (altho I don't condone).

Parenting is a very subjective yet sensitive issue so I shall refrain from commenting too much. Anyway, I am still learning the ropes.. but I hope to continue not to indulge in my kids so that they do not grow up to be other people's nightmare! :roll: :P

YingYing
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time