Primary 6 student tries to jump off school building

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com
Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:21

Post by Chenonceau » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:45 am

alng wrote:I heard about this from a former teacher from my girl's school. She is tutoring my girl now.

Schools tend to drill their PSLE students with other school's prelim papers weeks/days before the PSLE. This former teacher told me that a few years ago, there was this mother who pulled her girl out of school one week before the PSLE so as to prevent her girl from being overly drilled by the school teachers and to get too stressed up. The end result was the girl top in that school for PSLE! :-)

I know exactly what you mean. Little Boy's grades drop with every new supplementary class. He pontangs school and his grades stay UP. How to perform when you're so tired you can't write straight.

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Leanne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am

I also wish to withdraw ds from supp class but its compulsory.

Chenonceau wrote:
alng wrote:I heard about this from a former teacher from my girl's school. She is tutoring my girl now.

Schools tend to drill their PSLE students with other school's prelim papers weeks/days before the PSLE. This former teacher told me that a few years ago, there was this mother who pulled her girl out of school one week before the PSLE so as to prevent her girl from being overly drilled by the school teachers and to get too stressed up. The end result was the girl top in that school for PSLE! :-)

I know exactly what you mean. Little Boy's grades drop with every new supplementary class. He pontangs school and his grades stay UP. How to perform when you're so tired you can't write straight.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Chenonceau » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:12 pm

Leanne wrote:I also wish to withdraw ds from supp class but its compulsory.

Chenonceau wrote:

It cannot be compulsory. You are the legal guardian and what you say goes.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Chenonceau » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:16 pm

insider wrote:

My kids may be 'frightened' at the beginning to challenge authority but I did teach them not to obey authority if authority is obviously wrong.

I don't allow Little Boy to challenge his teachers. Teachers too are caught in the system. And also, it is a battle that is hard for Little Boy to win.

I use my own authority as his parent to fight for him. It's a religious thing. My religion teaches me that it is virtuous to submit to authority as long there is no sin involved. And when I speak out for him, I try to be respectful and gentle with the Teachers. The system is not their fault.
Last edited by Chenonceau on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Leanne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Chenonceau,

Thanks for sharing.Very true.

Rgds
Leanne

Chenonceau wrote:
insider wrote:

My kids may be 'frightened' at the beginning to challenge authority but I did teach them not to obey authority if authority is obviously wrong.

I don't allow Little Boy to challenge his teachers. Teachers too are caught in the system.

I use my own authority as his parent to fight for him. It's a religious thing. My religion teaches me that it is virtuous to submit to authority as long there is no sin involved. And when I speak out for him, I try to be respectful and gentle with the Teachers. The system is not their fault.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by TREX8 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Chenonceau wrote:

That is probably because when you keep on drilling the child with practice paper after practice paper, there is no time for the child to reflect on why they have gotten certain questions wrong. And it is only when they have understood why they have gotten those questions wrong (could be that they could not understand the concept, they have omitted key words, they have been careless etc), then are these kids able to learn from their mistakes and become better (correct the misconception or learn the concept, know what key words to use, how to check to avoid identify careless mistakes etc). That, to me, is when true learning occurs.

Sometimes, I wonder why teachers bother to do another revision paper when they have yet to mark and go through the previous one with the students. If students do not know what mistakes they have made in the previous paper, how would doing the next revision paper help the students? They will end up making the same mistakes over and over again... Flashing the model answers on the overhead projector is only part of the learning equation as kids need to know why is their answers wrong.

Also agreed with insider that there is no such thing as "compulsory". I am one of those "paisi" parents who alter the consent forms. But I also take responsibility as a parent for my action. So if I told the teachers I want my kids to opt out from a school's "compulsory" activity, then I won't complain about my kid losing out because teachers covered concepts which are within the curriculum during these activities.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Chenonceau » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:10 pm

insider wrote:hahaha...teachers caught in the system then too bad for them.

I do catch myself thinking that way too... but I try to be gracious and helpful despite the system. I have come to be good friends with some of my son's teachers and cannot help but care for them too.

insider wrote:... think and challenge (or if you prefer to use a 'milder' word, maybe 'question'?)...

Nothing wrong with this as long as the child does it respectfully. It is not easy for a child to have it out with the Teacher and then still see the Teacher every day. The Daughter went to an elite primary school and because I was working full time then, I asked her to tell one teacher something unpleasant. For 3 years after, that teacher gave her a hard time, and there was nothing I could do because there wasn't really any concrete evidence to catch on. These are real and unpleasant consequences if a parent does not buffer the child.

insider wrote:I seldom appear in my kids' schools and my kids are empowered (with info) to go and propose things themselves first (I know is not easy but I take it as training) before I get involved.

I do make an effort to build a good relationship with my children's teachers so that when there are unpleasant things to say, I can say them and have the teachers' whole-hearted co-operation and support. It is easier when bucking the trend to have understanding teachers.

I am not trying to say your way is wrong. I am just saying that for other parents faced with the same situation, there are other less combative ways to handle it without putting our kids in a spot.

Putting an extra box to tick is one of them... but it is still my hand that signs the form, not my son's.

JonC
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:18

Post by JonC » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Again, mentioned somewhere by me, personally I do not like the Singapore Education System, from K1 all the way to Uni. Its a load of rubbish.

Our kids at young age have been pushed too hard, although we maybe ahead of other kids from other country (except maybe behind PRC, an even greater pressure cooker), the end point in the Uni is the same, because all the Humans knowledge is capped at that level.

So really do not understand what's the rush at early years.

The so call "Learn More Study Less" is also rubbish. The school KPI is to produce good results, so many more supplementary and remedial until the kids may just go crazy. Somemore some have tuition.

And our Singaporean kids, some are lazy and some have too much other distraction (like TV and Games), of course cannot cope. So many schools try their luck, hopefully to jump from neighbourhood school to branded school, by getting in more foreign students, most of them are good students of their country respective sshools. They come here with nothing except study and of course do better than the our spoiled kids.