Is it fair?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Is it fair?

Postby cwk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi,

Recently found out that the Pri Sch that my girl is studying is not being fair to all the students. What happen was the school started to stream P1 students and the better ones will make it to the top 3 class in P2. The rest of the classes made up of "mixed ability" pupils. And those in the top 3 classes the school is giving them supplementary (not remedial) lessons twice a week after normal school hours for their English and Maths. As for the rest of the classes, they are not given supplementary lessons except for the weaker students whom are required to attend remedial lessons. While I can understand the school's reason to stream students of different learning ability to different classes, I cannot fathom why the school needs to give supplementary lessons to these supposedly better students while little is being done to the rest. It seems like the school is paying more attention to these group of students which is kind of like tyring to "groom" them.

My concern is with this kind of system in place, the better students will be better while those in the mixed ability class will fall behind. It's like the income inequality - the rich becomes richer while the poor will stay poor or become poorer. sigh...

cwk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Yong HL » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 pm

I have heard a friend told me the same thing about her son's school too.. and its a branded school..

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bebebub » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 pm

I thought this is quite a common practice in Singapore schools, even neighborhood schools. Just that some school start this arrangement at a higher level (eg. at P3)

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cwk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 pm

I mean all pay the same amount of school fees but why this kind of privilege to the better ones? I just don't understand the rationale for it. Maybe teachers or principals who are reading this can shed some light?

cwk
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby titank » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 pm

From what I know the top 3 &r bottom 3 classes would be equipped with the best teachers to supervise. Those in the centre are in the safe zone.
Perhaps you may want to clarify with the Principal & FT?

Do share with us this is which Pri Sch?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ANobleNerd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 pm

There's no point complaining about fairness; whether the stream is at P1, or to IP schools after PSLE, the fact remains that the academically inclined students are usually given such privileges.

The question I have rather, is why the need for extra hours for these students? I used to teach a top streamed P2 class, and already in the class I was doing enrichment level work since the syllabus was too simple for the kids. The Principal I worked for insisted that I hold extra classes for my students despite my telling her that my curriculum time lessons were already at enrichment level. She was adamant that I had to hold extra classes because the other P2 classes had remedial for the weaker students, so I had to clock in the same number of hours for these academically strong ones!

Internally, I was going :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Augmum » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm

I dunno abt whether the bottom classes do have supp classes or not in the lower primarylevels.
but something interest me, as for my gal's sch when she was in P6,
the worst class was taught by the HOD in maths.

while in P3, she had the "most lazy" teacher for teaching the best class. :wink:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Since when the world is fair? :?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:51 pm

tankee wrote:Since when the world is fair? :?

some have it more fair than fair
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Faun » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:24 am

'All animals are equal but some are more equal than others'
- from "Animal Farm"

Conclusion - go where you can be a BIG FISH in small pond rather than small fish in BIG POND. Big fish more equal.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time