cyclist on footpath

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

cyclist on footpath

Postby Herbie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:26 pm

i get very annoyed every time i m walking on the footpath an a bicycle just appeared behind me and the cyclist will ring the bell loudly to get me to give way to him/her... In japan, there is a sign tat says pedestrian has priority on the footpath... I think singapore shld out up such signage as well otherwise pedestrian are at the mercy of the cyclist.....

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: cyclist on footpath

Postby kittybank » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Herbie wrote:i get very annoyed every time i m walking on the footpath an a bicycle just appeared behind me and the cyclist will ring the bell loudly to get me to give way to him/her... In japan, there is a sign tat says pedestrian has priority on the footpath... I think singapore shld out up such signage as well otherwise pedestrian are at the mercy of the cyclist.....

Once I was holding my two kids' hands and ignored the ringing. The malay cyclist stopped and scolded me. I simply told him to go away. He kept scolding and scolding as he cycled away and. ..... he almost bumped into a lamp post. Not being cynical here. Now if i m with both kids, i carry an umbrella. Open it. The cyclist will 'siam' a bit. So i dont risk my kids being knocked down. Of course when they circle past, they will probably curse and swear

kittybank
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby snowman.697 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:29 pm

For me I do ring my bell but I give advance warning and slow down before passing. When I pass, I thank the pedestrian...

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ascklee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:08 pm

I often go brisk walking in East Coast Park, and yes, I think this is a problem. Cyclists need to keep off the pedestrian path, and *also* pedestrians need to keep off the cyclists path.

CKLee

ascklee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Little M » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:36 pm

It really goes 2 ways. The roads in Singapore are not wide enough to accommodate cyclists. So it is very dangerous for the cyclists to ride on the roads.

Yet the footpaths are also too narrow for cyclists to ride on when there are pedestrians. Cyclists often get verbal abuses from pedestrians. So I don't ride anymore.

I do sympathize with the riders.

Little M
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CJS » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Once I was holding my young gal's hand and walking on the footpath. A cyclist behind me ring her bell. I reacted by keeping more to the side just in time for her to pass through. As she passed through, she muttered "b****". I was so :x . I, as a pedestrian should have the right of way on the footpath !

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 am

Seems very normal here. Have encountered a few times that bicycles almost knock into me. Have wrote to town council since there are signs that show "no cycling". But till now still have cyclists zooming around.

Getting worst, few times even have motorcycles using the pathways that are supposed to be for people to walk on. :x

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pinky » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:00 am

those on motorised ones are even more dangerous cos they tend to speed :x I encountered a few times on footpath and I think it's time for bicycles to have licence plates so that we can quote the number and complain of danger cycling to the authorities

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Recess Time