How much Ang Pao $$ u gave ur kids tis yr???

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Postby csc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:59 am

My minimum is $6 for kids of acquaintances.

All nephews and nieces get the same rate whether they are primary, secondary ,tertiary students or working.

My children used to record the amount collected and who the givers are in a book and sometimes I will use that to gauge the amount I will give the following year. :lol:

Anyway, have a great lunar new year, everyone..... enjoy .... treasure your loved ones... :celebrate:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

How much Ang Pao $$ u gave ur kids tis yr???

Postby cluelessmom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:27 pm

Jus kinda wondering cuz am feeling a bit :oops: My dd came back gushing "Mommy, u noe most of my classmats are really rich... xxx got like $2000 ang pao fr her parents and aaa got $1k fr his and most of them live in landed properties or private apartments....." and she tries to comfort me saying, "Oh nvr mind la mommy... haha and I tot my $200 was alot hahaha but y is all my frds so rich har?"
And jus a few days ago, my frd whose son is in the same school as my dd was telling me tat her P1 son was saying, "Mom, ccc's mommy soooo good, he got $30 pocket money a day leh...".......Sigh.... I really wonder if tat's the typical family profile of a SAP school along Bt Timah Rd...... :!:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How much Ang Pao $$ u gave ur kids tis yr???

Postby ZacK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:33 pm

cluelessmom wrote:Jus kinda wondering cuz am feeling a bit :oops: My dd came back gushing "Mommy, u noe most of my classmats are really rich... xxx got like $2000 ang pao fr her parents and aaa got $1k fr his and most of them live in landed properties or private apartments....." and she tries to comfort me saying, "Oh nvr mind la mommy... haha and I tot my $200 was alot hahaha but y is all my frds so rich har?"
And jus a few days ago, my frd whose son is in the same school as my dd was telling me tat her P1 son was saying, "Mom, ccc's mommy soooo good, he got $30 pocket money a day leh...".......Sigh.... I really wonder if tat's the typical family profile of a SAP school along Bt Timah Rd...... :!:

Hiya cluelessmom... It's ok lar... Can tell your DD that she is very fortunate already cos I only gave my son $80 nia :oops:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:44 pm

cluelessmom,

ever since my boy realises that the ang pow money is his (last year..before that, we used to keep it for our own use :wink:), we had been telling him not to discuss with his friends how much he received. I had told him that others claims they received more may either be only bragging, or that their family are more well-off. There are also a lot of unfortunate people in SG and we cannot compare with those better off only. Then of course I went on to tell him that I only received a total of $18 for my red packet money decades ago :wink:.

The same goes to pocket money - preferably no discussion. Of course I can't stop him from discussing, but since he's in a neighbourhood school, so far so good. The only comparison so far is the amount of money they donated to charity. My boy came back and told me that his friends donated $10, $40 and so on while he only donated $3.80. I asked him if he think that those were their own pocket money or their parents and told him that if it's their own pocket money, if he can match, he is welcome to donate more. But if it's their parents' donation, he cannot compare his $3.80 to their $10.

ZacK wrote:cos I only gave my son $80 nia :oops:

$80 one red packet?! that's alot! :!:
we used to give $50 to my husband's only younger cousin and was rejected by their parents cos they said not to spoil the market and the kid. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ZacK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:21 pm

jedamum wrote:$80 one red packet?! that's alot! :!:
we used to give $50 to my husband's only younger cousin and was rejected by their parents cos they said not to spoil the market and the kid. :wink:

Not a lot considering it's from parents to child and not someone else... Tis year spent too much on ourselves and holiday so didnt wanna donate to his bank a/c this yr :sweat:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmom » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Tks ZacK & Jedamum :love: , jus feelin a little sorry for my dd cuz I noe how it feels to be a humble little kid surrounded wif rich frds :oops:

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ZacK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 pm

cluelessmom wrote:Tks ZacK & Jedamum :love: , jus feelin a little sorry for my dd cuz I noe how it feels to be a humble little kid surrounded wif rich frds :oops:

It's not easy when people ard you have so much more in terms of material wealth whether you are a 10yr old kid, 30 yr old adult or 60 yr old ah gong or ah ma ... We will always be envious of others.

You dun have to feel sorry as long as you shower your DD with unconditional love, attention and affection. We may be materially poor (by our own stds) ... However our little ones can still be emotionally rich. This is the best present we can give our little ones. :wink:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:18 pm

I gave $12 as ang pow last year for my boy only.

I think $80 is a lot. I'm more keen to put the money in the bank instead.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:06 am

smurf wrote:I gave $12 as ang pow last year for my boy only.

I think $80 is a lot. I'm more keen to put the money in the bank instead.

My wife actually gave me the :roll: when I said $80 for my son, cos last yr we gave him $388 :moneyflies:

Her reason was, it's not all the time that we top up his bank a/c to save for him.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 am

I dun believe in giving so much as Ang Pow lor. I dun want to cultivate a habit that my boy only look forward to CNY because of the ang pow.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time