Let's Talk About Pets ... Dogs, Hamsters, Rabbits etc

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Dog training

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:39 am

Hi , my poor dog was abnormally tired after last night intensive training by the dog trainer. He was trained how to walk by our side. He refused to walk too much and react very inactively.. my husband and I were so worried that we did not sleep well last day ,,scared that it will die in the middle of the night... now he is still alive but lay down all the while.. so do any one have such experience before??? :? :(

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Full.Cream » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:52 am

we need to confirm that your dog is in primary school 1st? :?
Last edited by Full.Cream on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Full.Cream
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Andaiz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:53 am

vlim, you must be very relieved now.

With all the hoo-hahs about dog groomers, and trainers, one can never be too wary.

Mods, could we consider moving this to chit-chat please? In all due respect, this isn't quite the forum for it. Many thanks.

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 am

Andaiz wrote:vlim, you must be very relieved now.

With all the hoo-hahs about dog groomers, and trainers, one can never be too wary.

Mods, could we consider moving this to chit-chat please? In all due respect, this isn't quite the forum for it. Many thanks.

oops sorry.. hai regret having dog... add on to my worries

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:58 pm

Is he eating and drinking? Does he respond to his favourite toy, etc.

Bring him to the vet if his lethargy persists.

May be a coincidence that he is not feeling well after the training.

Then again, were you guys present for the training? And how was the training done?

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Funz wrote:Is he eating and drinking? Does he respond to his favourite toy, etc.

Bring him to the vet if his lethargy persists.

May be a coincidence that he is not feeling well after the training.

Then again, were you guys present for the training? And how was the training done?

my husband was around.. he said a tough one for it ..as it was on a training collar sooooo.......... :( he eats his meal but drink very little.. not responding to his favourite toy.........

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:29 pm

vlim wrote:my husband was around.. he said a tough one for it ..as it was on a training collar sooooo.......... :( he eats his meal but drink very little.. not responding to his favourite toy.........

the collar is the chain link one? Is he still wearing the collar now? If he is remove it, that collar should be used only for training.

Not sure what breed of dog you have. I used to have a retriever and we used a chain link collar to train him to walk, heel, etc. The training method employs some level of 'choking' thru the yanking of the collar. I know, seem cruel but once the dog understands your verbal command, there is no need to use that collar anymore.

If it is the same method and yours is a small dog, there might be some bruising or discomfort due to the training method. I am just guessing here.

But seriously, if your dog is still lethargic, bring him to the vet.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:59 pm

ya he is a golden retriever .. i think the choking is too much.... :cry:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:43 pm

Funz wrote:the collar is the chain link one? Is he still wearing the collar now? If he is remove it, that collar should be used only for training.

Not sure what breed of dog you have. I used to have a retriever and we used a chain link collar to train him to walk, heel, etc. The training method employs some level of 'choking' thru the yanking of the collar. I know, seem cruel but once the dog understands your verbal command, there is no need to use that collar anymore.

If it is the same method and yours is a small dog, there might be some bruising or discomfort due to the training method. I am just guessing here.

But seriously, if your dog is still lethargic, bring him to the vet.

oh my dog got better since last night and he is behaving very normal now... :rahrah:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Little M » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:15 pm

vlim wrote:oh my dog got better since last night and he is behaving very normal now... :rahrah:

That's great to hear :D

Maybe he got overwhelmed coz it was his first lesson. You would enjoy your sessions from now on.

I had also had a retriever while I was in Aust, there were like 200 dogs at the obedience training field. The dogs were separated into groups of like 15, according to their advancement into the training. The we were taught how to heel/sit/lie down/stay etc. The dogs would be doing all these in unison, very cute. Then as the owner, we feel so proud of our pet when he could advance to the next level :lol:

Little M
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time