Elitism
42%
Anti-elitism
58%

Total votes : 24

KS Elitism and Anti-elitism Club

Postby Daddy D » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism
Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite — a select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight or those who view their own views as so; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-elitism
Anti-elitism includes the idea that all people are equal, therefore any ideas or notions of superiority held by one group or another, are considered by anti-elitists to be non-sense. Those opposed to elitism are considered supporters of pro-equalization, populism, or the political theory of pluralism.

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: KS Elitism and Anti-elitism Club

Postby Daddy D » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 am

Cool...
Btw, pls take this with a pinch of salt... and with some humour...
Friendly discussion...
No bashing pls...
Even though we cannot be best of friends :)

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 am

this s kiasuparents form afterall!! :celebrate:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiddo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Daddy D wrote:Cool...
Friendly discussion...
No bashing pls...

Think SG is moving towards a feeling of Elitism among some not so much anti-elitism. It good to feel good about yourself ,
did you read the thread on Holland V cultured gal ?? this is wayward elitism :wink:

But there is alway somehting we can learn from others however small - no one can profess to know everything .

:celebrate: :celebrate:

kiddo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

kiddo wrote:
Daddy D wrote:Cool...
Friendly discussion...
No bashing pls...

Think SG is moving towards a feeling of Elitism among some not so much anti-elitism. It good to feel good about yourself ,
did you read the thread on Holland V cultured gal ?? this is wayward elitism :wink:

But there is alway somehting we can learn from others however small - no one can profess to know everything .

:celebrate: :celebrate:

ya... read abt the holland v gal... just hope the majority of SGreans don't think that way...
even our FTs... I would assume most of them (esp the richer ones) think they are above most SGreans...

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ANobleNerd » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:42 pm

Daddy D wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism
Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite — a select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight or those who view their own views as so; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-elitism
Anti-elitism includes the idea that all people are equal, therefore any ideas or notions of superiority held by one group or another, are considered by anti-elitists to be non-sense. Those opposed to elitism are considered supporters of pro-equalization, populism, or the political theory of pluralism.

I think you'll need to add Meritocracy
Meritocracy, in the first, most administrative sense, is a system of government or other administration (such as business administration) wherein appointments are made and responsibilities assigned to individuals based upon their "merits", namely intelligence, credentials, and education,[1] determined through evaluations or examinations.

Although meritocracy as a term is a relatively recent invention, the concept originates from the works of Han Feizi and Confucius, along with other Legalist and Confucian philosophers. The first meritocracy was implemented in the 2nd century BC, by the Han Dynasty, which introduced the world's first civil service exams evaluating the "merit" of officials.[2]

Meritocracy itself is not a form of government, but rather an ideology.
Meritocracy itself is frequently confused as being a type of government, rather than correctly as a methodology or factor used in or for, the appointment of individuals to government. Individuals appointed to a meritocracy are judged based upon certain merits which could range from intelligence to morality to general aptitude to specific knowledge. A criticism of this methodology is that [3] "merit" itself is a highly subjective term, potentially lacking in clarity and therefore open to misuse.

Meritocracy in its wider sense can be any general act of judgment upon the basis of people's various demonstrated merits; such acts are frequently described in sociology and psychology. Thus the merits may extend beyond intelligence and education to any mental or physical talent or to work ethic. In rhetoric, the demonstration of one's merit regarding mastery of a particular subject is an essential task most directly related to the Aristotelian term Ethos. The equivalent Aristotelian conception of meritocracy is based upon aristocratic or oligarchical structures rather than in the context of the modern state.[4][5]

The most common form of meritocratic screening found today is the college degree. Higher education is an imperfect meritocratic screening system for various reasons, such as lack of uniform standards,[says who?], lack of scope (not all occupations and processes are included), and lack of access (some talented people never have an opportunity to participate because of the expense, most especially in developing countries). [6] The issuance of degrees in and of itself is not a true meritocratic guarantee, but it is a screening and preparatory process that aids in meritocratic choices.[citation needed]

Our Elite is built on a "meritocratic" system - but what merit do they actually display? The ability to absorb large amounts of facts and present it on paper. The great ability to work out a paper exercise. The ability to read and make sense of large chunks of texts.

Attributes and values like compassion, grace, civic-mindedness are not readily calculated or ranked in this meritocratic system.

Sadly, there is an inherent assumption that a person with high IQ must be morally good, or that a person who does well for an exam must be someone worthy of emulation.

Elitism is usually the result of a meritocratic system; after all, the system ranks people by a certain merit; and the system encourages the people to reach for the top tier of what it deems as merit. There is a reward for this top tier, and one of its reward is to be part of a select group - an elite group.

Streaming is very much part of any meritocratic system, and we have seen how though streaming, how students as young as P1 and P2 are able to point out which class is "where all the smartest ones are" and which group in their class is the "high ability" kids, and are aware of a certain pecking order.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:00 am

this thread reminds me of my experience this morning, or rather Saturday morning

was waiting for a flight somewhere inside Middle Kingdom

those of you been there before would know, it is always a sea of humanity

but because the airport i was in had a weather condition - FOG - so many flights were affected

suddenly i heard some one mumbling and mumbling and scolding, using the F word non-stop...and the accents is typical singaporean.......lo and behold, he was mad with the counter staff at the boarding gate for the weather condition which caused him flight delay .... joker, he thinks the staff controls the weather too, and i saw his red passport ... and then he shouted that the airport sulks ...破机场.....wow, i quickly hide my passport so that i am not identified with him

some people thinks they are elite but is a disgrace to the red passport he carries
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Daddy_D...what if one belongs to neither club? Where do they fit? :?

MY world is not so black and white unfortunately...

Postby Daddy D » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:33 pm

ksi wrote:Daddy_D...what if one belongs to neither club? Where do they fit? :?

MY world is not so black and white unfortunately...

That's why I put "best describe" lor...
I know our world is full of grey... haha

:celebrate:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:06 pm

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 73/1/.html

"SINGAPORE: Forget about limousines, penthouse apartments, private jets and other trappings of newfound wealth.

For Asia's growing ranks of the ultra-rich, a superyacht has become the ultimate status symbol, and manufacturers of luxury craft are setting course for a region which by one count now boasts more than 330 billionaires.

"I love having a yacht as it's a home that moves and I have a different view everyday," Singaporean tycoon Arthur Tay, one of the city-state's pioneering yachtsmen, told AFP...."

Really elite.... :celebrate:

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time