Child Model Agency? Scam?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Child Model Agency? Scam?

Postby smurf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Maybe this topic should be under chit chat?

Have your child been approached by model agency to be child model? Or go for audition? Just want to know if it's a scam. :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby e3nity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:57 pm

erm.. not sure exactly if its scam.. my cousin was spotted when he was younger.. my aunt brought him for audition.. they ended up pay for a make over session for the kid.. the agency say its a standard procedure to have a portfolio so that client can decide if they wana engage my cousin.. but after the photos were taken.. my cousin's modelling path juz ended abruptly..

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm

We were invited for audition. Same thing, agency said we need to pay a couple of hundreds for portfolio. A bit skeptical le so we didn't pursue this.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Child Model Agency? Scam?

Postby Mum1113 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:15 pm

smurf wrote:Maybe this topic should be under chit chat?

Have your child been approached by model agency to be child model? Or go for audition? Just want to know if it's a scam. :?

Hey, I was just srambling through if any forum on this just today, and you posted it :wink: ....keen to know too from parents who have such experience for their kids, I mean live experiences being Cover Girl or Cover Boy for so n so magazine, or so n so products. Well there are so many out there, and unless you try it out or know something, we wont know :wink:

Mum1113
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Child Model Agency? Scam?

Postby Daddy D » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Sounds like an incident I encountered with Fox Kids... they approached my wife and gal... want to take a photoshoot for their advert or something... say no obligation... my wife was tempted... end up have to buy the clothes to take the photo...
I just gave her the "I told you so" look when she came out from the store.

This is what I called preying on your vanity... and most mummies (if not all) would fall for it... :P

Not to mention those talent school/agency/performing arts thingy... could be a good exposure... but look at the many kids competing for the limelight... and the fact that it's not the most promising career in SG context.

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby titank » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 am

e3nity wrote:erm.. not sure exactly if its scam.. my cousin was spotted when he was younger.. my aunt brought him for audition.. they ended up pay for a make over session for the kid.. the agency say its a standard procedure to have a portfolio so that client can decide if they wana engage my cousin.. but after the photos were taken.. my cousin's modelling path juz ended abruptly..

The same old trick where it applied me when I was a teen. Same pattern expect you pay some $$ create a portfolio, then said would inform if you are selected.

The agent would said people like Zoe tay, Jazreel, Fann all under him & now they are Superstar. I was poor so again told him must take $$ from my parent. He said can pay deposit so I pay $5. The man also accept.

In the end, parent said this is a scam. Use to cheat young people like me. I call back the man ask for my $5, he said cannot return me! :cry
:

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 am

Most parenting mags only feature pan asian kids btw. Unless your kid is very very handsome or pretty, don't believe them. Anyway, most of the mags use an agency called Impact Models. You gotta pay to enrol your kid into their catwalk classes. From there, they might talent scout or recommend your kid to the magazines.

No use to pay to get your kids into such an industry. I would rather sign them up for Singapore Media Academy. They could be on OKTO! hahah

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peterch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:27 am

Hi, just sharing my experience...

If your child is approached by agency, the audition should be the port folio making session. Because, the child child will be casted and photo taken. No port folio needed as they are the one who approach the kid.

If they ask for port folio and training session with $$$$$, then they are actually selling modeling class :lol:

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Way2GO » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:09 pm

If 'agent' approach u n ask for payment up front for makeover session or portfolio, it is a scam.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mum1113 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Urmm.....so many negative feedback on scams and stuff.
Wonder how do those "Cute little Boys/Girls" end up on posters and on Cover magazines ? From modelling agencies ?

Mum1113
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time