Rude parents encounters

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Rude parents encounters

Postby winth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 am

Was so angry yesterday!!!
:x :x :x :x

Took my boys down for playtime at the playground downstairs.
When DS1 ran towards the usual playground, he stopped and said there were rowdy children onboard. By the time I waded there, I said, it wasn't really that bad, bec the other playground that we had was worse plus it's crowded.

So I said just have to make do with it lor.

I don't wearing glasses for my everyday life (except when I'm working), 200-200, so everything will appear abit blur. I hadn't noticed a bunch of parents there then.

When I got close enough, I saw a couple of very young children doing the normal rowdy things that my boy would disapprove. But well, I won't comment of other people's children. 'Boomerang effect' or karma.

But the parents there were really so inconsiderate. There were altogether 4 parents, 2 ladies and 2 men (not married to each other) and they were obviously flirting. The ladies came from other countries so I guess it's either 陪读妈妈 or some PRs here. The other 2 are Singaporean men.

There's this very BIG-SIZED FAT man sitting right on the only steps in the playground, where young children had to climb up before they could head for the slides. The older children like DS1 was able to climb up using alternative ways. And DS2 found another way to climb up too.

But this insensitive Daddy just sat on the steps, and hindered anyone younger from moving to the playground. And he was flirting so loudly with the ladies!!!

Just then, a toddler came rushing to the playground. She had to climb up those steps with help from her grandma. And that FAT Daddy didn't budge. Nope. Poor grandma had to squeeze her granddaughter into the tiny space or whatever's left/unoccupied by that inconsiderate Fatso. Sorry, not attacking anyone here on size. But I was incredibly angry with that man here.

Later, my boy came running to me that he was being shouted at, obviously by one of these parent's children. So I said, you should defend yourself and shout back.

Soon, I got so angry that I told the boys that we are heading back. Obviously, they would say no. I had done it on purpose.

I took the opportunity and commented VERY LOUDLY that,
"Like that how to play, got so rowdy kids here and their parents are just sitting on the playground, occupying all the space. You guys will not have space to even climb up the playground. Let's go lar. How to play with someone's sitting on the steps."

I was on 'defensive and preparing to fight back' mode should they come curling comments that I was being rude.

Hehe, and it worked. They quickly moved to the seats located just beside the playground. I don't give a darn whether parents are flirting with each other, none of my business. But I will not approve of rude parents who are obviously setting bad examples for children.

=====================================

With this, I had another encounter then when DS2 was so much younger - infant.

We were shopping at Giant Hypermart when there this pair of parents (not with their child/ren then). They were looking at my boys and then the wife commented:
"How I wish the children can be just as beautiful as ours."
Husband went:
"Ya lor."

Wah.... Me :x :x :x

Inside I was thinking, didn't they look into the mirrors before making such comments. It's obvious our children will share our genes (looks, figure, IQ etc). And the parents who just made such rude comment look ... ... really no comments. I always remember my 'boomerang effect'.

And well, I receive so many unsolicit comments about my children's looks that they are you know... good-looking. Once, I have strangers who asked if they could take photo with my boys.

But that time, I really no time to fight back bec it happened so fast. And my hubby said 算了。

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Rude parents encounters

Postby jedamum » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:52 am

rude parents i have no encounter before.
rowdy kids - plenty.
once, some rowdy primary school kids was playing in a playroom mean for kids 6 and younger.
when i pushed my stroller into the room and unbuckle the seat belt, one of them came and told me that strollers not allowed.
obviously they don't want us to hinder their game.
then i told him that it was not stated in the notice (at the door) that strollers are not allowed, but it was started that kids above 6 are not allowed.
the boy backed off and his group of friends demarcate a place for us so that we will not run into their boundaries.
then they spout some hokkien words - not vulgarities though - just some unhappy words.
very beng/lian, but it's amazing how kids that age can speak fluent hokkien. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby winth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:58 am

oh... hehe...

Both my boys speak hokkien on top of Eng and Chinese. If daddy speaks fluent Cantonese, I would have wanted them to speak Cantonese too. Useful language tool.

It's our secret code when we meet rude children bec I'm pretty sure the children nowadays dun understand them. Sometimes, I will speak freely in hokkien and told my boys, that, "See, these are examples of rude kids, do you want to behave like them?"

And those children will stare blankly at me and continue to do the same thing that they are doing.

So that my children will have the 'onsite experience' of what rude children do/mean.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:00 am

winth, calm down. It's good you thought of the "boomerang" effect. If for me or sashimi, we would've done something to "teach" them a lesson.

For incident #1: I would've done the same. My DD will get upset if she sees injustice, even when she was younger. She will comment quite audibly (not loudly, just enough so that people around us can hear) that so-and-so is (insert unjust act here). Then I will take the opportunity to respond by confirming her observation. If she mentions that it is unfair/rude, etc, I will "play along". If she asks why are some people like that, I usually sigh loudly and explain that maybe they don't have the luxury of a good upbringing at home or maybe their parents are also like that so they don't have good role models. I imply that they should have our sympathy instead of our rage. :evil:

For incident #2: Just breathe deeply, calm down and tell yourself that those POOR SOULS probably have low IQ and even lower EQ to be able to say something so thoughtless. Then, pity their offspring since they will "inherit " the genes and upbringing. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:01 am

then i told him that it was not stated in the notice (at the door) that strollers are not allowed, but it was started that kids above 6 are not allowed.

That was very fast thinking on your part.

Actually, I as a parent react pretty slowly so sometimes in the loss for words.

Am learning to be more assertive nowadays to defend myself and my children.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:04 am

winth wrote:Actually, I as a parent react pretty slowly so sometimes in the loss for words.

Am learning to be more assertive nowadays to defend myself and my children.

I would be very tolerant and fearfully shy but if someone annoys my close friends or family, I suddenly transform and become someone totally different. :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:07 am

I know, a tiger?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:10 am

winth wrote:I know, a tiger?

Ya, but I'm a lazy, mild tiger. Only when you poke me too hard and/or too many times, then I "return the favour". :wink:

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 am

schellen wrote:
winth wrote:I know, a tiger?

Ya, but I'm a lazy, mild tiger. Only when you poke me too hard and/or too many times, then I "return the favour". :wink:

i no tiger, but according to my western horoscope, i am a critic. :wink:
i can/do write effective complaints letter too.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Rude parents encounters

Postby cluelessmom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:41 pm

winth wrote:
We were shopping at Giant Hypermart when there this pair of parents (not with their child/ren then). They were looking at my boys and then the wife commented:
"How I wish the children can be just as beautiful as ours."
Husband went:
"Ya lor."

Wah.... Me :x :x :x

Hey winth, maybe they really meant "How I wish our chidren can be as beautiful as theirs?" :D Some people command of language not so powerful mah hahaha

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time