Teachers from India join S'pore schools

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Teachers from India join S'pore schools

Postby Daddy D » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNew ... 53979.html

"TEACHERS from India are being recruited to teach here, not just for the Indian Mother Tongue languages but also for subjects such as English, history, geography and economics.

At least 70 of them have been hired in the last four years, with another 10 due here later this year, said a recruitment agency in India engaged by the Ministry of Education (MOE)...."

No offence... but I think it's not right... unless they're saying no SGreans want to be teachers... or SGreans are less qualified?
:stupid: :stupid: :x

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 pm

hope I don't offend anyone...I have a few workers from India..pretty hard to 'catch' what are they talking when they speak to me in 'English'... :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Daddy D » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:08 pm

When I see all the PRC teachers in my dd's PCF kindergarten... or watched on TV Ch8, having mostly PRC kids in our local tertiary chinese language competition... I really want to :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

And when Guo Liang asked question like "What is the meaning of kopi-O siu dai in Mandarin"... only our local kid can answer...

:stupid:
Last edited by Daddy D on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daddy D
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm

No disrespect, I'm stating a practical question, won't the accent be a liitle difficult to understand by the kids?

MOE might have real problem getting locals to teach and retaining the existing teachers that they have. I always hear of young teachers leaving after their contract end.

I would still perfer locals to teach but if no choice then I hope they get good people, not recruit just for the sake of fulfilling quota.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Daddy D wrote:When I see all the PRC teachers in my dd's PCF kindergarten... or watched on TV Ch8, having mostly PRC kids in our local tertiary chinese language competition... I really want to :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

And when Guo Liang asked question like "What is the meaning of kopi-O siu dai in Mandarin"... only our local kid can answer...

:stupid:

The schools want to win, so of course send in students who are good with the language. I seldom catch those competition but ones I watch for a few minutes, it's very clear that the PRC kids' standard is better than ours. We must improve. But then again, there are parents who don't mind letting their child neglect their mother tongue to focus on what they feel are more important subjects such as English, Maths and Science.
Last edited by SAHM_TAN on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Teachers from India join S'pore schools

Postby TREX8 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Daddy D wrote:No offence... but I think it's not right... unless they're saying no SGreans want to be teachers... or SGreans are less qualified?
:stupid: :stupid: :x

Tongue-in-cheek post - Singaporean teachers resign to take care of their own children because they prefer to teach their own children and also to give private tuition which generates more money, lesser heartache, lesser "jack-in-all-trade" work (administrator, mentor, tutor, counsellor etc) and flexibility to arrange tuition around family commitments and kids'schedule.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:32 pm

[quote="Daddy D"]When I see all the PRC teachers in my dd's PCF kindergarten... quote]

I think we have to acknowledge that in general our Mandarin standard not that good. Maybe PCF cannot find enough teachers who are able to teach Chinese, or locals not attacted by the pay. Of course no guarantee that PRC teachers will be good in teaching Chinese. A person needs more than knowledge or competence in a language to teach well. So hope they are recruiting good ones who can teach.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:35 pm

the PRC "professors" teaching at our uni, hard to catch what they are saying

and now they can't even speak standard english want to teach our kids to speak inglish with head-shaking ?

no offence to our my Indian friends but I think this is too far fetched....

you guys can give it a try by calling SIA's call centre -- they can't speak standard english, half the time trying to understand what they are saying, really a waste of time

something wrong in MOE or what ? just like the blunder with the CSE ??!!
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:36 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:
Daddy D wrote:When I see all the PRC teachers in my dd's PCF kindergarten... quote]

I think we have to acknowledge that in general our Mandarin standard not that good. Maybe PCF cannot find enough teachers who are able to teach Chinese, or locals not attacted by the pay. Of course no guarantee that PRC teachers will be good in teaching Chinese. A person needs more than knowledge or competence in a language to teach well. So hope they are recruiting good ones who can teach.

yup..I do agree that India has many talented people,...hope they choose those that are good and have great passion in teaching (with understandable accent... :wink: ) and inturn our young ones will be benefitted. :pray:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Teachers from India join S'pore schools

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:41 pm

TREX8 wrote:Tongue-in-cheek post - Singaporean teachers resign to take care of their own children because they prefer to teach their own children and also to give private tuition which generates more money, lesser heartache, lesser "jack-in-all-trade" work (administrator, mentor, tutor, counsellor etc) and flexibility to arrange tuition around family commitments and kids'schedule.

Ya have observed more tuition centres advertising having ex-NIE teachers or tuition centres set up by ex-NIE teachers

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Recess Time