Toiletries from neighbourhood stalls

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Toiletries from neighbourhood stalls

Postby Admummy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:03 pm

I've got a shock when i saw Head & Shoulders Shampoo selling at almost half the price from a neighborhood stall at Bedok Central..For the same volume, NTUC selling at $14 plus but that shop is selling only $7 plus...i looked at the packaging, almost similar except that the one from neighbourhood stall has Thai wordings printed on it.... i noticed they selling other stuff like powder, toothpaste, etc at real cheap prices too...wonder whether it's safe to use? why so cheap?

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:53 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby raynreg » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:08 pm

It's very common... they are parellel import from our neighbouring
countries. Same as cars. I used them frequently & no problems
so far. Guess it's not things that goes inside my stomach, I'm happy
using them. I saves money too...

Those shops at old peoples park centre are doing a roaring business

raynreg
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 4:36 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Admummy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:01 pm

raynreg wrote:It's very common... they are parellel import from our neighbouring
countries. Same as cars. I used them frequently & no problems
so far. Guess it's not things that goes inside my stomach, I'm happy
using them. I saves money too...

Those shops at old peoples park centre are doing a roaring business


I see, if it's parallel import, shld be quite safe bah? :? How does parallel import work? Can gain meh selling so cheap? Trying to play safe here coz though it doesn't go into stomach, it can still penetrate thru scalp? Erm pardon me for being panaroid...in any case, heart pain on all the extra money spent... :cry:

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:53 pm
Total Likes: 1


Postby Red_Snow » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:55 pm

I supposed it's safe since we never heard any complain. One shop at Bedok has been selling all those toiletries for many years.

Red_Snow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:42 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby b2b3m4 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:35 am

I bet to differ for food stuff. The food stuff at valu$ is dirt cheap as well but many are from the Philippines and Indonesia. I have checked the contents before. the amount of shortening, colourings and preservatives that go inside... I'll give them a miss.

Admummy,
It is really that cheap in these countries. I have close friends from Philippines, we are literally talking about canned food selling in CENTS, let alone purchased in bulk from supplier. These shop sell you $1, they have already made at least a few times of profit.

b2b3m4
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 am
Total Likes: 7



Re: Toiletries from neighbourhood stalls

Postby LKVM » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am

Admummy wrote:I've got a shock when i saw Head & Shoulders Shampoo selling at almost half the price from a neighborhood stall at Bedok Central..For the same volume, NTUC selling at $14 plus but that shop is selling only $7 plus...i looked at the packaging, almost similar except that the one from neighbourhood stall has Thai wordings printed on it.... i noticed they selling other stuff like powder, toothpaste, etc at real cheap prices too...wonder whether it's safe to use? why so cheap?


Yes Admummy its quite common specially for Valu$ shops.... but I think they are safe to use.. i have used few of their products but like others said not the eating products

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14884
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:12 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby Vevey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am

DH is in the petro-chem industry & according to him, there r different grades for the same chemical. It is quite common for products meant for the less developed/developing countries to use the industrial (instead of consumer) grades as raw materials bcos it's much cheaper. The price of the final pdt is then more acceptable in these countries. Even then, my previous Indonesian maid told me she could only afford to buy shampoo in a single satchet, never a whole bottle when she was in Indonesia.

Of cos, the cost of branding, marketing & getting the products onto the retail shelves is also a factor, but usually will not make that huge a difference.

So, is it ok to use? Sure, the pple in other countries r using it.

The qn is: do U want to use it if u can actually afford a pdt w better-grade raw materials?

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:41 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby pinky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 pm

b2b3m4 wrote:I bet to differ for food stuff. The food stuff at valu$ is dirt cheap as well but many are from the Philippines and Indonesia. I have checked the contents before. the amount of shortening, colourings and preservatives that go inside... I'll give them a miss.

Admummy,
It is really that cheap in these countries. I have close friends from Philippines, we are literally talking about canned food selling in CENTS, let alone purchased in bulk from supplier. These shop sell you $1, they have already made at least a few times of profit.


I have seen bottled drinks and chocolates which have same packaging but in Thai or vietnamese. I give them a miss too. Prices wise not much difference though.

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2838
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0


Postby Happy Mama » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Talking about Thai wordings on the packaging, I recently bought a bottle of shampoo from Fairprice Finest and was surprised that they too had Thai words on their packaging. I was quite surprised to see that, as Thai packaging are usually found in value dollar shops or CK or one of those shops, but not in Finest, since they don't charge any cheaper for the shampoos.

Happy Mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 7526
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 am
Total Likes: 1


Postby pinky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Happy Mama wrote:Talking about Thai wordings on the packaging, I recently bought a bottle of shampoo from Fairprice Finest and was surprised that they too had Thai words on their packaging. I was quite surprised to see that, as Thai packaging are usually found in value dollar shops or CK or one of those shops, but not in Finest, since they don't charge any cheaper for the shampoos.



packed wrongly :stupid:

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2838
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Recess Time