Yesterday's Rainbow

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Yesterday's Rainbow

Postby sashimi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:51 am

My DD saw her first rainbow yesterday, thus completing my 2+ year-old quest to show her this wonderful symbol of mother nature. DW had brought DD to the West Mall library, and I *ran* all the way up from the Bt Batok MRT to ensure DD had seen it, cos the sun was setting.

A couple of years ago, my DD lamented to me the fact that she has never seen a rainbow (and of course all kids know what a rainbow is from the pretty drawings in kids' books). I was quite saddened that day - it's sad how we sometimes take things in nature for granted. Yesterday's rainbow was glorious, solid gleaming bands of colour. IT's all over the net now, try this: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481342

And now, next quest...... (real) snow.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:57 am

What's with dads and rainbows? :wink:
My husband called me on the phone yesterday on his way home to get me to get my boy ready by the door so that when he reached home, he can go show him his first rainbow. :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby KS_me » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:04 pm

hey.... :love:

My younger son shouted :" woah! a semi-circle rainbow!!!" as the rainbow appeared right infront of our eyes when we were on our way home..

:love: :love:

KS_me
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Yes, the rainbow was right in front of us! Looked so near to us.....and everyone was shrieking with joy about it when school ended. And there we were getting into the car with my child babbling away factually about how and why it was formed from what she had read before........ :lol:

ooops you are so right :wink: ...we forgot about appreciating the beauty of nature.... Glad that so many has taken a picture of it and put on the internet to retain its beauty...

Postby Addoil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:13 pm

hi
yesterday when we are on the way home, I showed my 2 boys that rainbow is like that, then the elder1 started to ask why rainbow are like that? :idea: opps.. I need to do some homework so that can explain it correctly.. or anyone can help up? :lol:

Addoil
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sashimi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:22 pm

ks2me wrote:and everyone was shrieking with joy about it when school ended.

Exactly! It was a beautiful way to end the day, lifted my spirits. :) There was wonderment in DD's eyes too when she exclaimed to me (too loudly in the library) that it's her first rainbow.

jedamum - I guess we dads want to ensure we provide the opportunities of life to the kids. :wink:

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smurf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:35 pm

it's been quite a while since I last saw a rainbow. :(

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:16 pm

I caught sight of the rainbow too, juz right outside our living room window. In fact, there were two of them. My daughter and I took pictures of it as we wanted to share the joy with Daddy and korkor.

Guess what? Both of them saw it on the way back in the car and korkor has captured it on his handphone - clearer and brighter than ours.

I love rainbows - it's a reminder of God's wonderful promises to me and my family. Really touched to see it under such uncertain times .:D

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caroline3sg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 pm

yes, I saw the 2 rainbows yesterday too. A lot of people were taking photos on their HP. I also took. When my boy alighted from his sch bus, I also walked him to see them. Very nice & clear.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Not a Christian myself, but I looked up some info after a friend asked me if I found a pot of gold. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow

The rainbow has a place in legend owing to its beauty and the historical difficulty in explaining the phenomenon.

In Greek mythology, the rainbow was considered to be a path made by a messenger (Iris) between Earth and Heaven. In Chinese mythology, the rainbow was a slit in the sky sealed by Goddess Nüwa using stones of five different colours. In Hindu mythology, the rainbow is called "Indradhanush", meaning the bow (Sanskrit & Hindi: dhanush is bow) of Indra, the God of lightning, thunder and rain. In Norse Mythology, a rainbow called the Bifröst Bridge connects the realms of Ásgard and Midgard, homes of the gods and humans, respectively. The Irish leprechaun's secret hiding place for his pot of gold is usually said to be at the end of the rainbow. This place is impossible to reach, because the rainbow is an optical effect which depends on the location of the viewer. When walking towards the end of a rainbow, it will move further away.

After Noah's Flood, the Bible relates that the rainbow gained meaning as the sign of God's promise that terrestrial life would never again be destroyed by flood (Genesis 9.13-15[24]):

I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.

Another ancient portrayal of the rainbow is given in the Epic of Gilgamesh: the rainbow is the "jewelled necklace of the Great Mother Ishtar" that she lifts into the sky as a promise that she "will never forget these days of the great flood" that destroyed her children. (The Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet Eleven)

Then Ishtar arrived. She lifted up the necklace of great jewels that her father, Anu, had created to please her and said, "Heavenly gods, as surely as this jewelled necklace hangs upon my neck, I will never forget these days of the great flood. Let all of the gods except Enlil come to the offering. Enlil may not come, for without reason he brought forth the flood that destroyed my people."

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time