Working Parents - How much quality time do you get weekdays?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Working Parents - How much quality time do you get weekdays?

Postby mintcc » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:31 am

With the hectic work life imbalance here in SG how much quality time do you get to spend interacting / teaching your kids on weekdays? What are the things you do?

Me ...knock off at 6+ pick up DS at CC by 7pm and get home at around 7:30
Trip home and dinner time is chatting and together time.
After dinner 8:30-9:00 eat fruits and watch DVD while I do stuff on computer/or flash cards or youtube on computer.
9-915 :DS shower, drink milk, brush teeth.
9:15 - 10, Read books/& play puzzles/& play linking memory
10:00 pm Zzzz time.
Last edited by mintcc on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:18 pm

This question stretches my memory a little as things change over the years and I am wondering which period of our lives to share here... but you people are really good at sharing the specifics!! 8)

For now, I have about 1 hour in the morning and 1 hr in the night.
By right, having 2 hours of quality time should seem enough daily. Somehow, I still feel that it is not. Perhaps it's because my child is getting older and I feel that the lesser time I spend, it also means the earlier my child will leave the nest.....Should I be concerned? :?

Postby winth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:38 am

insider wrote:5.30 am – wake up to pre-prepare dinner (Put all ingredients into slow cooker to prepare soup. Prepare all condiments/spices/etc that are needed to cook the dishes, preparing/cutting the fish or meat – all inside airtight container and back into the fridge)

you wake up so early???

insider wrote:10.15 pm – ME time

ME time? :?

My day currently goes this way:
7:30am - woken up by noisy boys/brush teeth/change DS2 into uniform

7:50am - bring DS2 downstairs for school bus to his childcare/DS1 changes and washes himself (sometimes with DH's help)

8:00am - prepare chop chop breakfast for DH, myself and DS1

8:20am - bring DS1 to school and DH goes work

9:00am - starts working (at home)

5:30pm - DS2 comes home, too noisy liao, cannot work/DS1&2 have dinner (with mum's help)

6:15pm - bathe DS2/goes into room to do activities with him/sleep

7:00pm - study & does activities with DS1

8:30/9:00pm - bathe DS1/DH comes home, will have dinner together while DS1 does his own activities

9:30/10:00pm - DS1 sleeps

11:00pm - sleeping time

Quality time currently starts from 6:15pm where I can put my work on hold and just spend time with them. My 6 year old is growing up too fast as well and I can feel that he sometimes no longer needs me or be too sticky to him.

Don't think things will be the same when I return back to office environment mid-2009. Sian man.

Sometimes, really wonder why we are working, dunno slog until old already for what. Then don't even remember how the children look like when they laugh/cry.

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:23 pm

insider wrote:That was one of the best parts of my life and therefore memorable… (even my two teenage kids sometimes will still talk happily about those silly games that they invented in their play room while I was busy with my chores. That play room holds many fond memories for them and it is also in that room that both get to build a strong bond that lasts till now. Actually I am quite certain each will have such a room for their own kids next time).

I am beginning to feel the empty nest syndrome too when my two teenagers are most of the time in their room busy with their own things. The only time that we usually talk is the compulsory dinner time together. Now with the 6 years old as the only one that needs more attention with an ok-ok maid at home, actually it’s much more relax as compared to the past.

Time flies and kids really grow up at such an incredibly speed…

You have 3 and can feel the syndrome so soon....think it will occur sooner for me! :( Anyway..come what may...cannot turn back the clock....just enjoy the next stage as it comes or start forming "joy luck club" .... :celebrate:

Postby winth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm

insider wrote:pursue my hobby (studying about fortune telling...)

really? I'm into 面相. I have learnt to look at certain features of the face from one of my friends and found it useful when I need to discern someone's characters from another. And have just found a 面相 book to learn the basics and get a more complete picture of a person. My aim is to be able to look at a face using 混流法.

Any book that you have read and you found it's good? Maybe can PM me...

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:15 pm

insider wrote:You are having that negative feeling of “slog until old already for what” maybe coz you haven’t loved yourself enough. LOVE YOURSELF!

true lar... think now is already one of the best parts of my life liao... financially stable, got good children, still relatively young and healthy, and got a very family-oriented husband who feels that i'm a very good wife and mother. there's really nothing more that i can ask for liao.

must stop and smell the roses more often...

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:40 pm

5.30 am – wake up to pre-prepare dinner

:udawoman: wow 5:30am...and you sleep at 12? If I wake up at 5:30 I will want to go back to ZZzzz by 7:30...

My 6 year old is growing up too fast as well and I can feel that he sometimes no longer needs me or be too sticky to him.

yes kids grow up so fast... so sometimes when my boy is sticky...just need to keep in mind that he will no be sticky any more in a few years time...

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby EatNonStop » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Interesting topic :

5.30 am – wake up to pre-prepare dinner

Like Mincy, I am still Zzzzzzz

I am lucky enough to have a MIL to help look after my boy (21mths old) in the weekday nites so my sleep was not being disturbed from 12pm-7am

7am - 7.45am. in between this timing, I still manage to steal 5-10mins bonding time with my boy while my elder gal (4.5 yrs) is still snoring in her sleep.
7.45am - off to work

6.30pm -7pm. Back Home.

7pm-8pm . "Drag" my kid for showers and patiently feeding them dinner.

8.15pm - 9.00pm. Once my gal observed I am done with my dinner, she will pester me for drawing session. While the gal draws and colors her favorite princess characters occassioally with mummy as the queen :lol: my boy adds in the "mess" by scribbling around on a pc of paper.

9pm-9.30pm. Maths / English (picking up learning tips from Tamarind's and Bud's / Silly things / Fun activities with the kids)

9.30pm -9.45pm. Settle boy to sleep

9.45pm-10.30pm. Read books or play monopoly games or chitchat with gal

11.30pm....Zzzzzzzz

So I guess I have 3 hrs (inclusive shower / feeding time) with my kids.

EatNonStop
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngchris » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Here's my quality time schedule with my K2

Weekends - we almost do everything together ie bkfast, grocery shopping, cleaning, meeting family/friends etc

Weekdays - i treasure those short walk/drive to & fro CC (5 mins/day), play - mostly Q&A time (15 mins/day) but my favourite activity is to snuggle with him in the bed before sleeptime and chat (15-30 mins)
:love:

ngchris
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mintcc » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:24 am

ngchris wrote:my favourite activity is to snuggle with him in the bed before sleeptime and chat (15-30 mins)
:love:

Heee.. it is one of my favourite times too :love: but then sometimes I just fell asleep with him....

EatNonStop wrote:7.45am - off to work

That's early...sometimes 7:45am I am still working on waking DS up... :sweat:

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Recess Time