Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

General comments and chit-chat, or tell us how we can improve KiasuParents.com

Re: GE 2011 - Polling Day 7th May

Postby tankee » Tue May 03, 2011 12:40 am

Fat Mama wrote:...... My sis stay at condo in Hougang and her husband passed on. She had to apply for permit to have to wake at the void deck in 1 of the HDB blks. She went to Hougang TC in the morning to apply. She was told the officer is not in, they will revert around noon time. She waited n waited and tried calling them but couldn't get anyone. Desperated, she called her sis-in-law to apply permit for using void deck at her place which is in Bishan. Permit IMMEDIATELY approved and the deceased is not even a resident there!!!! So much inconvenience to her family. Wake over, body cremated and still no news from Hougang TC. .....


I have to :offtopic: a bit.

It is a unwritten rule that void deck and communal hall are "first come first serve", and all application to use for wake, weddings, etc are automatically approved. Town councils are closed at night and over sundays & public holidays. they do not & can't expect people to die only during office hours so that application can be processed.

the undertaker for your bro-in-law wake did not do his job.

Among the very first few things a undertaker do, is to get his tentage people to place some chairs & tables at the chosen void deck to "chop" the place. Application is done much later.

:D since this is :offtopic:, let's not discuss this topic any further in this thread.

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: GE 2011 - Polling Day 7th May

Postby pragma » Tue May 03, 2011 2:56 am

tankee wrote:I have to :offtopic: a bit.

It is a unwritten rule that void deck and communal hall are "first come first serve", and all application to use for wake, weddings, etc are automatically approved. Town councils are closed at night and over sundays & public holidays. they do not & can't expect people to die only during office hours so that application can be processed.

the undertaker for your bro-in-law wake did not do his job.

Among the very first few things a undertaker do, is to get his tentage people to place some chairs & tables at the chosen void deck to "chop" the place. Application is done much later.

:D since this is :offtopic:, let's not discuss this topic any further in this thread.


Hi Tankee,

Sorry to be off topic on this too...but I thought I need to explain this a little.

I would like to correct what you said about the use of void decks. They are not automatically approved. The void decks need to be "booked" before it can be used. And you do indeed need to get the town council's approval before you can use it.

pragma
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 10:11 am
Total Likes: 0


Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

Postby b2b3m4 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:34 am

pragma wrote:Hi Tankee,

Sorry to be off topic on this too...but I thought I need to explain this a little.

I would like to correct what you said about the use of void decks. They are not automatically approved. The void decks need to be "booked" before it can be used. And you do indeed need to get the town council's approval before you can use it.


If I want hold a Malay wedding, does that mean that i need to put my pots and pans in the void deck 1 week in advance to chope the place in case someone holds a wake there? If i have a dying relative, does it mean we start taking turns to sitting at the void deck so to ensure we can hold a wake?

I am for sure even in Potong Pasir u need to go to Town Council to book the place.

It has publicly been shared before on Racial Harmony Day on how Town Council has to resolve a case where a Malay couple has booked the void deck in advance for their wedding and a Chinese resident who has just passed away. In the end the Malay couple were offer alternative site and the Chinese got to hold their wake.

If your Town Council DO NOT FUNCTION round the clock, 24/7, DO NOT VOTE HIM/HER in, even if it is PAP. I do not want to be caught trap in a lift and can't be saved til morning (worse the next day a public holiday).
Last edited by b2b3m4 on Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

b2b3m4
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 am
Total Likes: 7


Re: Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

Postby tankee » Tue May 03, 2011 9:02 am

since there are some interest to discuss this topic, I have splitted out the post into its own thread.

Fire away :D

tankee
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17790
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Singapore
Total Likes: 18


Re: Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

Postby Nebbermind » Tue May 03, 2011 9:19 am

Perhaps the crux of the matter is whether the applicant is a resident of the block (or nearby blk) where the wake was to be held.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14657
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 148



Re: Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

Postby LOLMum » Tue May 03, 2011 9:26 am

for fatmama's case, the office never returned the calls despite fmm's sister personal visit to the office to apply for the use of the void deck.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:25 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

Postby jedamum » Tue May 03, 2011 9:49 am

Not sure if Town Council have some 'backup' team after closing hours, but few months back, when I called after 6pm to report of maintenance issue, a staff picked up my call after 2 rings. 2 hrs later (8pm+), the technician came to fix my problem.
For that, I am giving them my vote (although during their walkround months before, I am not impressed with the 'chief MP' who gave a 'erm'-look when my son told him which neighbourhood school he is studying in; the MP (SMC) from a area closer to where I stay came to his rescue :D...but then again, he was from another 'town' and i am not even sure which GRC i am in at that time..... :roll: ).

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8515
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Re: Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

Postby Nebbermind » Tue May 03, 2011 10:10 am

LOLMum wrote:for fatmama's case, the office never returned the calls despite fmm's sister personal visit to the office to apply for the use of the void deck.


Must agree that they shd have much higher priority when handling such matter regardless of whether the applicant can apply or not.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 14657
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 148


Re: Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

Postby poppy15 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 am

hmmm, so if 2 residents passed on at the same time & they both stayed in the same blk, how is the TC gonna allocate the space given to hold the wake :?

poppy15
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8365
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:12 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Void Deck - Need to get approval before using for wake?

Postby LOLMum » Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 am

poppy15 wrote:hmmm, so if 2 residents passed on at the same time & they both stayed in the same blk, how is the TC gonna allocate the space given to hold the wake :?



from personal experience, whoever apply at office first gets the booking.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:25 pm
Total Likes: 1


Next

Return to Recess Time